• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I Like Firearms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Well Im looking for a gun safe, for 2 purposes. 1 obviously for my guns. I have about 3 handguns and 10 rifle/shotguns.. Also for documentation.

I would like it to be big enough to fint well over the amount of guns I have and be able to store important docs. What kind should I get kind of "the best bang for your buck"

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Johnson Safe is a INGO advertiser. Heard good things about them and they are local so they may be a good option.

Johnson Safe - INGunOwners

Their safes range from $1-4k. I don't have a gun safe (mostly due to lack of funds), but have looked around because it seems my long gun supply continues to increase somehow and their current storage location is starting to get cluttery looking.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    there are several features that can increase or decrease the cost... weight, fire rating, and locking mechanisms... i suggest a safe weighing over 600 pounds to make it difficult for even two men to remove... and a fire rating of at least 30 minutes... most fire departments in the country can typically have a fire extinguished in that amount of time unless the house is a goner in the first place, and in that case you have alot more to worry about than your guns.... as far as locking mechs, i have a digital but prefer the combo... a little piece of mind that it will work even without batteries.... i would also try and guide you towards something that has at least two locking bolts on ALL sides, including the hinge side... this will make it take longer to "break" into the safe.... along with the safe, a quality dog and or alarms systems help a bunch. hope that helped.
    IGW

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Well Im looking for a gun safe, for 2 purposes. 1 obviously for my guns. I have about 3 handguns and 10 rifle/shotguns.. Also for documentation.

I would like it to be big enough to fint well over the amount of guns I have and be able to store important docs. What kind should I get kind of "the best bang for your buck"

What part of the state are you located in?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My brother and I both own Johnson Safes. I am very pleased with mine. Highly recommend them.

Now if only Jeff Johnson would get a website. *cough, Jeff get off the stick and get a website, cough*:D

I Like Firearms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Do you guys usually put them in closets? Or right in the open? If I put it in the closet the deepest I can go is 24" But 48 wide and 60 to 72 tall

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Kinda on topic

If one is on a budget what do you all think of the "gun locker" at Dunham's?
    It's $150, NOT fire proof. But it is steel and can be bolted to a wall stud from the inside with up to 4 bolts. Downside is it's a sinngle key lock on the front.
    Anyone use one of these?

If so anyway to reinforce the lock portion? maybe a bar over the keyhole and another lock on that?

Sorry if this is too far off topic.

Just wondering of this is a better option than just hiding in various spots to minimize loss.

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    I own a Fort Knox Defender 22 gun safe and am very pleased. Great quality and I got an outstanding price from Frames outdoor in Liberty IN.
    Not a whole lot of info online for comparing safe manufacturers. I know a couple people that use Fort Knox and went off their recommendation.
    Go with what seems of quality and value.
    I've heard Johnson makes awesome safes as well.

A couple suggestions:
    Think about how hard it will be to deliver/install the safe. If its a big mother like mine, you want it in your garage, not downstairs, around a corner and through three doorways. You will be amazed with what you can accomplish with several 2' lengths of 1" pvc as rollers.

Bolt it to the floor at least, to the studs in the wall if possible.
    If you put it in the garage, REMOVE OR HIDE ANYTHING THAT CAN BE USED TO PRY IT OPEN. (crowbars/prybars/sawzalls/axes/welders/etc.)

Safes are a major deterrent to theft, but not impossible to open if you're motivated scum.
    Those little dehumidifiers that you plug in to the wall to recharge are awesome.

Going to a lot of trouble to hide a big safe will probably just be a lot of trouble for you. Any thief with the time/resources to defeat your safe will probably also have the time/resources to find it if hidden. Security systems, dogs, and friendly neighbors are important ways to supplement it.

jd3772000

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Indy
    Dicks sporting goods has a real nice one for 799. And often goes on sale for 699. Its fire proof up to 30 min. Has shelfs and weighs 590 or so pounds. Its also wall and floor moutable.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Do you guys usually put them in closets? Or right in the open? If I put it in the closet the deepest I can go is 24" But 48 wide and 60 to 72 tall
    Most of the safes that I have seen are about 30 inches deep. so the closet idea might not work. If you can, bolt it to the floor, and put it in a location that doesn't allow easy access to the top or sides, those are the most vulnerable parts of any safe. Make them attack the door. IMHO the most important rating of any safe is the fire rating. Weight, number of bolts, ect. are good, but if they can't take it with them, most smash and grab burglars aren't going to spend the time or have the tools to attack your safe in place. If pros want in they will find a way.

sbatten

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    Somewhere in Shelby Co.
    I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but I located my safe on an outside wall to cut down on heat to the safe in case of a fire. Some of the firemen on this board could probably comment on whether it would help or not. The other thing to remember is that you may need to put some support posts under the floor if you are not on a slab.

jerico616

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    If one is on a budget what do you all think of the "gun locker" at Dunham's?
    It's $150, NOT fire proof. But it is steel and can be bolted to a wall stud from the inside with up to 4 bolts. Downside is it's a sinngle key lock on the front.
    Anyone use one of these?

If so anyway to reinforce the lock portion? maybe a bar over the keyhole and another lock on that?

Sorry if this is too far off topic.

Just wondering of this is a better option than just hiding in various spots to minimize loss.

I know a guy who used one of these until he saved enough money to buy his safe. He painted it black and mounted it in a dark area of his unfinished basement. Then moved some shelving units around so that it blended in with the shadows. It did the job of keeping things safe until he could get the safe.

XFCTR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Columbus
    Can't recommend the Johnson Safe Co. more. Jeff made me a beautiful safe. He is deffinately worth talking too and waiting for.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Grant County
    Originally posted by sbatten.
    "I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but I located my safe on an outside wall"

According to my insurance agent. A client of theirs had a safe on an outside wall. The house is in a rural area. The perps backed their pickup to the house where the safe was on the inside. Used a saw taken from the garage, cut a hole in the wall, pushed the safe onto the truck and drove away.

Top Bottom