• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jss1956

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Indiana the Armpit
    Not sure if this is the right place for these questions but here it goes. I want to purchase a gun safe. I've read a ton on "who has the best safe" and wanted some opinion on the thoughts of the members here as to a good safe to purchase.

My second question is has anyone placed a gun safe upstairs in a house and if so, how much did it weigh? How did you get it up the steps? I need to place mine upstairs but am a bit concerned about getting it there and moving it. It will sit on top of a load bearing wall so my main concern is moving it up the steps and thru the hall.

Thanks for your input.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Not sure if this is the right place for these questions but here it goes. I want to purchase a gun safe. I've read a ton on "who has the best safe" and wanted some opinion on the thoughts of the members here as to a good safe to purchase.

My second question is has anyone placed a gun safe upstairs in a house and if so, how much did it weigh? How did you get it up the steps? I need to place mine upstairs but am a bit concerned about getting it there and moving it. It will sit on top of a load bearing wall so my main concern is moving it up the steps and thru the hall.

Thanks for your input.

Johnson Safe is a good one. And their also INGO advertisers. I would get ahold of them. They also have a website.

My dad used to have his large safe upstairs. Never had any problems. Never fell thru into the basement or anything like that. As for moving it UP the stairs, good luck with that. Could be hard or easy.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Dad's got one bolted to the concrete floor in his garage, I'll check the brand tomorrow when I'm there, but if I remember right, it was close to 800# unloaded... It's a 40 long gun I think...
    Took 6 guys to get it off the truck and into the garage and positioned (he had it delivered to the shop he used to work at and loaded it on the truck with a forklift, heh.)
    Solid, fireproof, lighted, dehumidified, and he said after he got it, he had the first good sleep on vacation he'd had in YEARS not worrying about a break-in.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The best? Most likely that is subjective, but I really enjoy my Johnson Safe. Excellent welds and hinges and the insulation is not dry wall which holds water!

I know from my time in LE that most safes are broken into like a tuna can. They beat on a corner, pop the corner and pry it open. That is less likely to happen with a Johnson.

Here's one of my safes, the Johnson, in my freshly re-modeled basement armoury. If you look closely you can see the base that I built for the safe. The front panel pops off so I can insert the forks of a pallet jack under it.

09-17-10_1930.jpg

How did you get it up the steps? I need to place mine upstairs but am a bit concerned about getting it there and moving it.

At my last apartment before I bought my house, I lived on the third floor of the complex. I used an appliance mover to drag my pistol safe up all those stairs and out after I bought the house.

northern_industrial_appliance_trolly_truck.jpg

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    I also have a Johnson Safe...They look nice, are put together really well and you can't beat their home delivery (Jeff Johnson puts it where you want it). Great investment when you have firearms.

jss1956

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Indiana the Armpit
    I looked at Johnson Safes at the 1500. I think I'll give them a call. I really need to find out how much weight I can put on the 2nd story floor of my house. It's 15 years old and the 2nd floor has 2 x 12s so the loading should be pretty high. The safe would sit on top of a load bearing wall so no worries there. It's getting it up the steps and across the floor that worries me. It's times like this when I miss having a basement.

Thanks for the feedback!

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I am sure if you post where you live or give a general area, you might find a few people willing to help you move your safe. I bought a Liberty safe that was 800lbs and was able to move it with just the help of my dad, nephew, and my wife.

hischj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    Wadesville
    I bought a Cannon from tractor supply and have been very pleased with it. It took 4 guys to get it off the truck and into the basement at 500lbs. Not alot of weight for a safe. I like these Cannons because they have electrical outlets built in for a dehumidifier and whatever else.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 1, 2010
    New Castle
    I just got a 38 gun Stack-on for 740$ cheaper and will do the job. I moved mine by golf balls under it ,it pushed with one hand then ,once in the door that is. I knew golf balls were good for something lol

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I got a 500 pound Stackon Total Defense, fireproof for 30 minutes waterproof for up to two days if bolted down. My cousin and I just slid it across the carpet to where I wanted it. If you live down south I humbly offer my services moving it. If you have hard floors upstairs you can set safe on a moving blanket and drag it.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    IT'S GOING TO BE A JOHNSON FOR ME!

Just got back fromvisiting Mr. Johnson over on 200 S. And have decided I'll have nothning less than a Johnson safe! Even though the one I want will be twice what i'd pay for one from Gouger Mountain, or Dick's. After seeing in person several safes in various stages of being buit. I'm convinced they are the best value for the money. His locking system maynot be as "Fancy" as some others, but it is very robust. Plus no matter how fancy the lock is if the frame and case are not built well you can still pry them open. I used to work for AT systems and their Cash Mangement systems, (sorta safes) and have seen what a theif can do with sledge hammers and crow bars. The way Mr. Johnson boxes in his door frames Ain't nobody gonna get into his safes! Besides the $1200 for the one I want is equal to what I paid for my AR15, and my 98K. and I still have 8 more guns to protect...cheap insurance! :ingo:

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA

Hookfish

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I also bought a Cannon safe from Tractor Supply. I have been very happy with it. The built in electric outlet is what really drew me to it compared to others for that price range. It look 3 guys and hand truck to move it in. Really wasn't that bad.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    man i must be super strong lol. i have had 2 safes. the first was a canon from tsc. they loaded it on the trailer and we brought it home. got out the appliance dolly and we moved it down the trailer ramp and into the house no problem. hell then me and redneckmedic moved it back outside and up on to a trailer with just the appliance dolly again. then i bought a big 800 pounder and me and my friend moved it down the trailer and into the house again even going over the door jam humps. this one did take us about a hour and half to get over the initial door step and it also destroyed the appliance dolly lol.

you can't go wrong with johnson safes good choice. i think the key is to have a safe is it will deter the vast majority of average criminals and keep your kids safer, but if someone really really wants in they can probably find the needed tools in your garage.

Top Bottom