• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Looking for recommendations for a home safe. Would like it to hold about eight long guns and about a dozen handguns (plus 5,000 - 10,000 rounds), plus room for family documents, etc. It will be in the basement but will need to fit through a standard door frame (under 32" either width or depth) and be fire rated.

I have not yet done a lot of shopping but would appreciate any suggestions, things you'd wished you thought of, or insight from those of you who have a large home safe.

K-

mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    around 1-1.5K? Would like to spend less, but don't want something cheap...

Of course that's why I'm asking for advice:)

Tin Cup

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Michiana
    I bought a stack-on from Dick's Sporting Goods a couple years back for $500. Has a combo dial. I think it goes from 14-28 maybe. I like it alot, nice storage, and you can even get the velcro storage things to hang handguns on the inside of the door for more space.

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Don't buy

Both my father and best friend bought nice "johnoson" safes out of zionsvile. I am really pleased with the quality, but I just talked to another friend who, long story short, dropped off a safe that he received that had not been opened for 30ish years to be opened up, repainted, and made like new again. Anyhow, my friend felt like the owner was a decent guy, so he left the safe with him to do all the work and open it up. When he returned a few weeks later after not hearing back from the shop, the owner acted like he did not even know who my friend was and my friend did not get his safe back. I guess there had to be something good in it. My whole outlook on this Co. has changed since hearing this. :dunno:

jbhummer2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    north central IN
    I dont know where you are looking to buy in Indiana. There is a place up north that sells safes in the plymouth IN area. I beleive it is DB safes and vaults. I got mine from him. They have used and new. I was very happy with mine. He sells several brands. The one I got was a Champion and is great with several relockers and rated for 90 min. at 1500 degrees. (I had to use a winch to get it to the basement after I reinforced the stairs) :dunno: but he sells all sizes.

rrmark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Avon
    I purchased a safe on Ebay. The safe came from Ft Wayne. The safe is rated for 1300 degrees for 30 min. Free delivery, and if you ask the driver will more than likely put it in the garage for you. If you look on Ebay for item number 160349196874 this will take you right to his site. He list many different models. Mine is great no complaints.

redbarontoys

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Two features I recommend are the ability to set your own combination and a key back-up if you forget the combination. Hundreds of great brands to choose from and most have different interior options to fit your needs. There should be lots of good choices in your price range.

Kimber7man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lawrence
    I bought a 22 gun safe from Sam's Club in Fishers. It has the Winchester logo on the front, price was $588 plus tax. It can hold about 18 rifles and shotguns if you squeeze them in there, plus has a shelf on top and removable shelves for one side. If you only want to store 8-10 guns, you can have shelves on one side to store handguns and ammo. has the keypad lock. Most other places like Gander Mountain sell them for $700 or more so I thought this was a real bargain. It does fit through a regular door opening, too.
    Good luck!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Something else to keep in mind (I don't have a save yet) is the level of service AFTER a disater. Will the company come and out the safe for you. Give you another one? What do they guaranttee will be safe in your safe & for how long. Any independtent testing done to back this up? Can you bolt it to the floor?

I'm leaning towards getting a cannon safe.
    Cannon Safe - Quality Home and Gun Safes - Home

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    Something else to keep in mind (I don't have a save yet) is the level of service AFTER a disater. Will the company come and out the safe for you. Give you another one? What do they guaranttee will be safe in your safe & for how long. Any independtent testing done to back this up? Can you bolt it to the floor?

Browning!

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Browning!

My Dad just got one. He loves it. I think this is one of those things you get what you pay for type deals.

My dad told the delivery guy he wanted it in a closet so it would be safer, you know out of site- out of mind. The guys response was, " Mr. your guns will be safe it you put this thing in the front yard". I guess the guy was confident in the product he sold.

Top Bottom