• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • milltech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Northeast Indiana
    Can anyone recommend a decent one? Please specify the one that you have and the advantages, modulating, capacity ect...looking to invest between $900.00 to $1200.00. Storage will be for mostly long gun's but would like to add to my pistol collection and ammo supply.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    You might want to look at http://www.sturdysafe.com/

I just checked their website and they have updated it. It looks very professional now. He uses ceramic glass as a heat/fire blocker, which he, obviously, claims is better than the stuff they use at safes you buy at Gander Mountain, etc.

Just another suggestion I heard elsewhere. If you are good with running water pipes (ie: Copper pipes), one person I know had a great suggestion: Install a sprinkler valve over the safe. Might be something to think about, as it would provide the best protection (so long as there is pressure for the water).

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'd like to build a vault in my basement, mainly because I'm cheap and I know it will stay with the house while adding some value (if I don't screw it up).

The door would be the big dollar item and some sort of humidity control would be in order.

Anyone have links for such plans? If so, thanks.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have a buddy who has built several vaults. He said it is a lot of work to get the ceiling right for an existing basement. If the top isn't sturdy, thieves can just cut a hole in the overhead floor and access the vault. Figure out which vault door you want and make sure that the opening for that door fits.

To answer the first question. Go with the best quality safe you can afford and get one bigger than you think you need. It will fill up over time. Some names of quality safes are Ft. Knox, Liberty, Cannon, and Browning. Here is the best info I've ever seen about safes. Check it out: Gun Safe Buyers' Guide

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Don't think when you buy, you're buying too big. Only in logistics could a safe be too big. With some proper bolting, and golden rods, the safe of your dreams can be placed in a corner of your garage and be out of sight to most people. Don't go too small, as I begrudgingly found out, as the owner of 2 very good safes, just right for getting into a house. Alas, you will run out of room for ammo if you are a closet collector of ammo, whenever you see it, you buy it. Do your homework well, don't impulse buy and get the right one the first time.

Good Luck

tharlow514

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I like the Liberty Centurion Series. They have some decent fire ratings and are reasonably priced. They are carried at Gander Mountain but you may find them cheaper elsewhere.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    check out the advertiser section... there is a guy on here to makes custom safes right here in indiana... and he is a site advertiser as well!!!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'd like to build a vault in my basement, mainly because I'm cheap and I know it will stay with the house while adding some value (if I don't screw it up).

The door would be the big dollar item and some sort of humidity control would be in order.

Anyone have links for such plans? If so, thanks.

I just installed one of these. NOT for me:dunno:

My link Fu seems to be non-existent. I just "bumped' a post in the General Firearms Discussion thread titled, "I get to build a gun vault".

My "link Fu" wasn't working then either, but Crytalship1 came to my rescue and provided the proper link.

Nice door.

Last edited:

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]If you really want a FIRE PROOF safe - be advised that the average house fire lasts about 30 - 45 minutes @ 1500 - 1550 degrees. Make sure that you check the fire rating, most box store safes are rated at 900 - 1300 degrees for 30 - 60 minutes - THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE for a fire proof gun safe.

I have done the homework. I have spent several months researching and comparing a dozen plus brands. You will not find a better safe and options for the money (new, not used). Yes it is a bit more than the standard safe, but a couple hundred dollars more now could save thousands later. Any serious buyer needs to include the "Patriot" line safe on their list.

Here's a shot of my Patriot safe(medium production size). I keep this safe on the main level of the house for central access from anywhere in the house. Fire rated 1880@90min (rated for paper parchments and photos) with 14 1 3/4 locking bolts and Tool pry-rated at 60min. 60" x 30" x 27". Key/push button LCD front control. Interrior black lights are a must for low-light night entry. Over 700 lbs empty with a beautiful black gloss mirror finish. Tailgate curb delivery for just under $1800. NO problem keeping the kids out.

dsc02.jpg

dsc04449w.jpg

dsc04450q.jpg

[/FONT]

foxxie02

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    May 23, 2008
    just got one

i just picked up the 36 gun stack on at Avon for 720 not too shabby but good and heavy.... I think it was a good deal :)

Top Bottom