• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I would recommend staying away from a garage if possible. They are often much easier to access by burglars and unless you are certain you're going to anchor it, it wouldn't take much to load it into a vehicle. Additionally, garages aren't teh greatest at keeping moisture out. You'll probably have to take extra measure to keep moisture out of the safe itself.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I've had mine in my garage for about 3 yrs. I have a rod in the bottom(bolted to wall)...and run that closet moisture remover stuff(name escapes me) in it. Damp Rid I guess its called now that I think about it. I also have a dessicant box in there as well(note LOTS of attempts to remove moisture).

I also have guns i dont' use much in Sillcon gun socks. Whenver I shoot one I wipe it down with a silicone rag and oil the bores.

So far so good on rust.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A good fire rated safe should maintain a seal against moisture if it is dry when you close it. Desiccant packs are a good long term measure. Make sure the guns are well oiled and stored "Wet" with oil. I would also avoid the garage. Make it as hard as you can on thieves.
    Buy all the safe you can afford with ample room to expand.

browning84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    What is a good fire rating.. i just bought a 32 gun safe and I just looked at it and it says 1200 degrees at one half hour..is that good? ps: birthday present from wife.. she loves me

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    truth this. safes can fill up quickly. mine went from a half-empty stack-on locker to a stuffed liberty safe in a year.

I had 2 safes and a pistol safe. several ammo cabinets. We reduced the herd last summer down to 1 long gun, 1 pistol and 1 ammo cabinet. Sold off what was empty. Mistake. I am an addict and resistance is futile. Shopping for another safe today.

BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    Two Liberty's UPSTAIRS in my man cave, one Stack On in my home office and one pistol safe in my bedroom closet. I don't like the garage, but if you take the proper precautions you should be alright.

HnK

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    I don't like the garage idea much either. But when I got mine it was over 700 lbs. It took 4 of my friends and I almost 2 hours to get it where I wanted it. I won't lie I did think about leaving it in the garage.

BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    I don't like the garage idea much either. But when I got mine it was over 700 lbs. It took 4 of my friends and I almost 2 hours to get it where I wanted it. I won't lie I did think about leaving it in the garage.

That's what friends are for. 2 safes up a flight of stairs took a little time and coordination, but with 3 buddies it was no problem. Lol

Top Bottom