• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I bought my first safe. Finally I get it inside and unbox it, it's not light. On the top it has been dented and the paint chipped up along the side, about two inches. This is a fire proof safe, should I return it for an exchange? Or will that crack be ok?

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I bought my first safe. Finally I get it inside and unbox it, it's not light. On the top it has been dented and the paint chipped up along the side, about two inches. This is a fire proof safe, should I return it for an exchange? Or will that crack be ok?

How long have you had it??? Many places require you to inspect for damages on delivery or a very short time afterward.

kc9djn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    If it is heavy, most likely filled with concrete***(lined).
    I would return the safe as I purchased one with a crack
    and the crack spread on the safe after a couple of years

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

The metal is cracked? Or just dented and the paint chipped? Sounds like it could have been dropped or tipped over. Was the box/packing material damaged looking? Does the door and lock mech function properly? At any rate, I'd call the seller and tell them and ask for a replacement. As soon as you take possession of it, examine the safe's container for signs of damage.

Pin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I picked it up at menards Thursday. The box looked fine, I didn't take it out of the Box until I had it in place Saturday. He guy said he had a few more....

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    179   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Sweet deal at Menards if anyone is looking for a digital lock on a fireproof safe. Check you local store though as these are leftovers from Black Friday.

Sentinel 18-Gun/Fire Convertible Electronic Lock Safe at Menards

I picked one of these up black Friday as a 2nd to put docs in. For that price it is hard to beat.

To address the OP question, I would make sure they have another one (before you take it back) then exchange it. Damage will affect resale as you will likely out grow it.

Safes typically are not concrete lined but instead with drywall unless it is a higher end safe like Johnson then it may be a ceramic liner.

The door is removable & makes it easier to move. Find where it is going to live, put a dehumidifier or moisture absorber in & BOLT IT DOWN.

Pin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    ending to the story. I returned it to get another. which wasn't as fun as it sounds. When I picked it up my brother in law helped. This trip was all me and my wife giggling as I man handled it out and the new one in. She is pregnant so I really didn't want her help. She did hold the door for me and tell me my dog was in the way, which is usually where the dog is.

Top Bottom