• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    We all know by now about the tragic death of the 16 year old girl in Noblesville. Now an important question. How do we prevent it from happening again? A lot of families are so anti gun their children aren't even allowed to play with a toy gun. attitudes like this breed a lot of problems , up to and including people eventually buying a gun when they know absolutely zero about it.

I know the anti gun crowd would go nuts, but with the rate of violence among the younger crowd so high, school instruction sounds like a good idea. Not necessarily on how to use a gun, but the dangers inherent with them. That way we pi$$ off the anti gunners as little as possible, but still show kids that guns aren't toys. It definitely appears these kids aren't getting instruction anywhere else.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    What happened to parenting your own kids. You can not expect the Government/School system to teach your kids about everything. The schools have a hard enough time just teaching the basics. I will teach them how to survive. I am all for upsetting the anti-gun crowd by teaching my kids that guns are tool and if handled improperly they are dangerous.

If we didn't let the TV, Facebook, and all the other crap on the internet and social media be the ones to teach our kids, we wouldn't have a lot of the problems we do today.

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    My three sons are all grown, and all were trained and know how to use guns , just as I was. The problem is, a lot of parents today know absolutely nothing about guns, and instill that in their children. The left has done a wonderful job of teaching people that guns are bad , and no one should use one. We on the other hand , have raised our children in their use.

What bothers me isn't my kids, but someone elses. I wouldn't want my grand daughter to be on the wrong end of a gun , like the poor girl in Noblesville. We need in some way to teach the people like the shooter there, what really happens with a gun, not what you see in movies. How , I don't know, and I wish had an easy answer. But somehow those of us who are responsible gun owners , need to find a way to teach the next generation.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    This is something I dig a great deal into with my research and holding introductory classes for people like the parents you describe.

I advocate the basic firearms education should be taught in schools. Not only would this provide a basic understanding of safety and healthy respect for firearms as it once did, it also is not laying the foundation for developing an irrational fear of guns. That comes from having no factual knowledge/experience with them.

If something is such a dangerous tool of every day life that the school should have a part in teaching about it, such as fire drills, driver's ed, etc. then firearms should be part of that as well. Of course, I don't expect such an education in government ran schools to get much traction, but I'll still stand by it regardless.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    My three sons are all grown, and all were trained and know how to use guns , just as I was. The problem is, a lot of parents today know absolutely nothing about guns, and instill that in their children. The left has done a wonderful job of teaching people that guns are bad , and no one should use one. We on the other hand , have raised our children in their use.

What bothers me isn't my kids, but someone elses. I wouldn't want my grand daughter to be on the wrong end of a gun , like the poor girl in Noblesville. We need in some way to teach the people like the shooter there, what really happens with a gun, not what you see in movies. How , I don't know, and I wish had an easy answer. But somehow those of us who are responsible gun owners , need to find a way to teach the next generation.

The question is about getting it out to as many people as possible, and to the RIGHT people. The demographic of people you're referring to a lot of times don't "want to learn anything." They are so set in their mind that they have the right answer on the topic as being avoidance. This makes it that much more challenging to change their minds. It CAN be done, but it often takes a specific set of skills and circumstances to accomplish it that most gun owners don't have or offer.

My introductory class for example, is designed specifically for those people. The problem is getting them past their emotional righteousness just enough to even want to attend a discussion about guns. That's the other important part. Most of them are "emotional thinkers." Their conscious thought, their decision making processes, are controlled by how the topic affects their emotions; how it makes them "feel." When all they know is that "guns kill innocent people" they feel pain through empathy for those situations. This causes them to develop not only a hatred for guns, but an irrational fear of them if they have no other factual knowledge prior. I even struggle with attracting such people to my classes. I do get them in, but not in the quantities I'd like to see. The ones I do get however, I have been extremely happy with the results after their attendance.

turn n shoot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I believe that gun safety is a parent's responsibility. I had both of my children shooting at a young age, and did my best to instill safety in them. When they were young most of my guns were not readily available to them. I did keep a loaded revolver in a high drawer in my bedroom. The "rule of the house" was you do not touch a gun for any reason without me being there. If you did there were severe consequences. If you wanted to see a gun for any reason, come and get me. I would stop whatever I was doing, and get out whatever you want to see. While they were growing up, a couple of times they came to me, and wanted to see, handle different guns. After they were grown I once asked them if they ever broke the rules. They were, are, old enough now to answer me honestly, and they told me they never broke the household gun rule, since they knew they they could have access whenever they asked. I knew my children, and it worked for me. May not work for every situation, and child. My children, as adults, are very safe gun handlers.

Best Wishes,
    Tom

clemracer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    I believe it is the parent's responsibility to train their children gun safety. If you have guns in your house - most certainly. Drill the safety into their head. Never ever believe some other kid saying "trust me - it isn't loaded"......

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Now an important question. How do we prevent it from happening again?

Change the culture.

1. Make gun education an above the line tax deduction. All tuition, guns, ammo, travel, etc. expenses associated with firearms training would shrink AGI.

2. Mandatory firearms ownership.

3. Mandatory firearms education in government schools.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Since some parents lack the knowledge or desire, there are other alternatives. Other family members, Boy Scouts and 4-H all offer further instruction.

ol' poke

Top Bottom