• ...and so much more!
  • goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I just had a talk with my sister on Facebook. It seems the 11 year old got his hands on a couple of hollow points and a shotgun shell and thought it would be cool to take them to school. Yeah, I know... Scold grandpa for leaving them out. That's been done. Don't need any comments in regard to that, thankyouverymuch!

What I am looking for is constructive comments about where they can take their 9 & 11 year olds to learn gun safety. When I was 6, my father took me to a Daisy BB class where I learned the A-Z of gun safety. I got my first BB gun at the end of the class and by the time I was 8 I had my own shotgun.

It's past time--in my opinion--for these boys to learn the importance of firearms and how to be responsible, if for no other reason, they are around people who own guns. They just have not been tought and these boys will learn better in a group setting than if we tried to set them down and go through it with them ourselves.

My brother inlaw and sister live in the Bloomington area, so schleping them up to Indy with gas prices the way they are is not necessarily an option. Any CONSTRUCTIVE suggestions would be appreciated. This is not the time for "purple" comments.

Thank you all! Have a blessed day!

Brown

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Brownsburg
    At one time the NRA would send out tapes of the Eddie Eagle program. Not a group setting ut it may hold their attention better than mom and dad sitting them down the first time to discuss gun safety.

I have a copy of the tape i could send you if I can get it back when finished

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    At one time the NRA would send out tapes of the Eddie Eagle program. Not a group setting ut it may hold their attention better than mom and dad sitting them down the first time to discuss gun safety.

I have a copy of the tape i could send you if I can get it back when finished

That might be an option, thanks! I spoke with the NRA office in Fishers and after he found out that my bro inlaw & sis did not really have the $$$ to pay lots of money AND drive from Monroe Co to Fishers, he couldn't provide me with much information. The one site he did send me to wasn't much help.

I did talk with the DNR and they have a class starting next week on Hunting Safety that is free. I'm trying to reach the instructor to see if he can include the boys. Who knows...

Thanks again for the suggestion. If need be, I might take you up on it.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    Try getting ahold of the ACT guys from this board. I have to think one of their Instructors could help your family out at a reasonable price.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    That might be an option, thanks! I spoke with the NRA office in Fishers and after he found out that my bro inlaw & sis did not really have the $$$ to pay lots of money AND drive from Monroe Co to Fishers, he couldn't provide me with much information. The one site he did send me to wasn't much help.

I did talk with the DNR and they have a class starting next week on Hunting Safety that is free. I'm trying to reach the instructor to see if he can include the boys. Who knows...

Thanks again for the suggestion. If need be, I might take you up on it.

Let's get a few things straight: There is NO NRA office in Fishers. You spoke with ME directly. I am a private business owner. Just so we can set the record straight, you called me and left a voice mail complaining that you got my voice mail. I was on the phone at the time. I called you back within 2 minutes and the first words out of your mouth were once again complaining about getting my voice mail. You explained your situation (not telling me at the time your family would NOT drive up to Fishers for a course) and I explained what course options we had, including Eddie Eagle and Home Firearm Safety. You then proceeded to tell me your family would not make the drive up to Fishers. At NO TIME did EITHER of us mention cost, so I take exception to your post. Then you asked if I knew anyone in Bloomington who did this type of training. I responded that I did not, and then gave you the NRA web site address where you could enter your zip code and find any courses within your desired driving distance. The site was of "no help" because the only NRA courses appropriate for your children are not being offered in that location. In fact the closest "Home Firearm Safety" course to your family is being offered by Guy Relford in Indy. (50 miles) You then proceeded to tell me about your childhood and upbringing, your BB guns and the program you took as a child. All the while I am skipping phone calls to politely listen to you and help in any way I can. (I hope those people didn't mind getting my voice mail as you did!) So your post stating that once I found out there was no money in it for me I wouldn't help is pure fiction. I did what I could for you and needed to wrap up our conversation because my phone was ringing off the hook. I hope you are more courteous to the people on this forum that try to help you than you were to me. Hurry up and answer him everybody! He gets impatient quickly! :rolleyes:

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    +1 on ACT. I have been extremely happy with the classes I have taken from them. I intend on having my 9 year old daughter take basic pistol from them as soon as I get her a new gun.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Let's get a few things straight: There is NO NRA office in Fishers. You spoke with ME directly. I am a private business owner. Just so we can set the record straight, you called me and left a voice mail complaining that you got my voice mail. I was on the phone at the time. I called you back within 2 minutes and the first words out of your mouth were once again complaining about getting my voice mail. You explained your situation (not telling me at the time your family would NOT drive up to Fishers for a course) and I explained what course options we had, including Eddie Eagle and Home Firearm Safety. You then proceeded to tell me your family would not make the drive up to Fishers. At NO TIME did EITHER of us mention cost, so I take exception to your post. Then you asked if I knew anyone in Bloomington who did this type of training. I responded that I did not, and then gave you the NRA web site address where you could enter your zip code and find any courses within your desired driving distance. The site was of "no help" because the only NRA courses appropriate for your children are not being offered in that location. In fact the closest "Home Firearm Safety" course to your family is being offered by Guy Relford in Indy. (50 miles) You then proceeded to tell me about your childhood and upbringing, your BB guns and the program you took as a child. All the while I am skipping phone calls to politely listen to you and help in any way I can. (I hope those people didn't mind getting my voice mail as you did!) So your post stating that once I found out there was no money in it for me I wouldn't help is pure fiction. I did what I could for you and needed to wrap up our conversation because my phone was ringing off the hook. I hope you are more courteous to the people on this forum that try to help you than you were to me. Hurry up and answer him everybody! He gets impatient quickly! :rolleyes:

Wow! Sorry! Didn't mean to upset you. Please do not read intonation into posts, OK? The cost for most classes is $50-$100 from what I saw on the website. To my defense, your tone/interest level with me did change when you found out that we did not have a lot of money to spend.

I went to the website you suggested and there was no search engine for zip codes on that site--not helpful--so I abandoned the NRA site to look elsewhere.

To address the voicemail issue. Lighten up man. I WAS JOKING! And thank you everso much for the pleasant conversation. You were indeed polite and as informative as one could be. I'm sorry to have been an annoyance.

Thank you. Please forgive my trespass.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    ACT could help you out. We have a BP 100 class at Marian County fish and Game on May 28th. We could do something private at the Riley Conservation Club, or I could come to Bloomington if you have a place to shoot that is safe, and legal. Email me if interested.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    ACT can help you. We have a few options. Our BP100 class is a possibility, and might benefit the whole family to do it together. We could also arrange something for a small group.

Contact one of via email:

Aron@AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com
    John@AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com
    Joseph@AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com

I just had a talk with my sister on Facebook. It seems the 11 year old got his hands on a couple of hollow points and a shotgun shell and thought it would be cool to take them to school. Yeah, I know... Scold grandpa for leaving them out. That's been done. Don't need any comments in regard to that, thankyouverymuch!

What I am looking for is constructive comments about where they can take their 9 & 11 year olds to learn gun safety. When I was 6, my father took me to a Daisy BB class where I learned the A-Z of gun safety. I got my first BB gun at the end of the class and by the time I was 8 I had my own shotgun.

It's past time--in my opinion--for these boys to learn the importance of firearms and how to be responsible, if for no other reason, they are around people who own guns. They just have not been tought and these boys will learn better in a group setting than if we tried to set them down and go through it with them ourselves.

My brother inlaw and sister live in the Bloomington area, so schleping them up to Indy with gas prices the way they are is not necessarily an option. Any CONSTRUCTIVE suggestions would be appreciated. This is not the time for "purple" comments.

Thank you all! Have a blessed day!

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    ACT could help you out. We have a BP 100 class at Marian County fish and Game on May 28th. We could do something private at the Riley Conservation Club, or I could come to Bloomington if you have a place to shoot that is safe, and legal. Email me if interested.

Great! Thanks!

I spoke with the DNR contact about these meetings next week and he assured me that the boys would benefit from them. They are being held nearby and are free too--which is a big help for my brother inlaw and sister.

Let's see if my brother inlaw is going to take them to the meetings first. I think I might attend as well just to see for myself. If it does not pan out or is not what they need, I'll contact you.

Thanks again!

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Kids don't learn gun safety from their parents anymore? :dunno:

Yes, they do. These particular children will learn better in a group surrounding. We, as family, plan on furthering their education on gun safety too.

Not only that, but this class will also help to counter those at the school who are up in arms about this. The police were called, and I would just about guess CPS might even get in their two cents before it's all over with.

You know, so much has changed since I was young. I remember one time I was sitting by myself under a tree during recess, whittling on a stick with my pocket knife. One of the teachers saw me, threw a fit, took my knife, and called my dad at work. He asked her to describe the knife and she did. He said, "Yes, that's his pocket knife. He knows when and how to use it. Give it back to him." She gave it back and not another word was ever said about it. I kept carrying my pocket knife too. That was like, 4th or 5th grade.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    ACT offers a family gun safety class. I have presented this briefing to single and multiple families with great results. Having the whole family present seems to cause greater ownership of the material for all. The class is 3 hour. Feel free to contact me directly for information and/or references.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    ACT offers a family gun safety class. I have presented this briefing to single and multiple families with great results. Having the whole family present seems to cause greater ownership of the material for all. The class is 3 hour. Feel free to contact me directly for information and/or references.

Thanks!!! I/They might do that. As mentioned above, I think I'm going to see if they take advantage of the DNR classes this next week. They are both free and local.

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    Looks like you have a going in plan, but i'll give a testimonial for ^^^^this. My 9 year old and I did a private Basic class with Coach, and I was thrilled. I was completely new to shooting, but wanted to get my kid I involved and properly educated at the same time.
    absolutely worth every penny!

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Looks like you have a going in plan, but i'll give a testimonial for ^^^^this. My 9 year old and I did a private Basic class with Coach, and I was thrilled. I was completely new to shooting, but wanted to get my kid I involved and properly educated at the same time.
    absolutely worth every penny!

Thank you as well. I appreciate any recommendations I can get.

Top Bottom