• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    HIPPA is voided by third-party stories? Sweet! I have lots of stories to share now.

i posed a similar question regarding liability a few weeks ago. If you become altered and someone brings you to a hospital and Injured themself or someone else with yor weapon, are you liable?

Last edited:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    HIPPA is voided by third-party stories? Sweet! I have lots of stories to share now.

i posed a similar question regarding liability a few weeks ago. If you become altered and someone brings you to a hospital and Injured themself or someone else with yor weapon, are you liable?

Sorry, as it was explained to me, it isn't a HIPPA violation as he doesn't care and has told several people and doesn't care if others know. Now if i broke into the VA and got his info and shared it that would be another thing. But just to be on the safe side...here we go again with a completely different story that has nothing to do with the above thing...more of a what if "this" happened. The names and faces have been changed to protect everyone involved

Most of you know my feeling on the Media. For anyone who has ever been on the news you know as well as I that they get 10% of the information and make up the other 90% to fit whatever narrative they're trying to force down your throat. There mu$t be $ome rea$on they do that. Anyways, in this situation all they know that a person got shot in an MRI.

The story I COMPLETELY MADE UP IN MY HEAD THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE OP OR INDIANA FOR THAT MATTER: (this is also 3rd-ish hand and I'm paraphrasing...and i've also completely made this up in my head and it has nothing to do with anything)

He's a Disabled Vet, ex cop, and current man of the cloth. Like most of us here, he carries a gun whenever he checks the mail or does his dishes. He was feeling a little under the weather when his wife left to do wife things. When she returned, he didn't recognize her. He was talking to people that weren't in the room and at one point believed he was in a helicopter. For many of us, forgetting who your wife is and flying around in a helicopter is probably the coolest thing ever. His wife, however, thought otherwise. She called her son and they loaded him like a resistor into their modest family vehicle and drove him to the VA. He still didn't recognize his wife when they arrived. It took 4 men to hold him down while he was examined. The doctor said he was fine and probably had the flu (I think the doctor wanted to forget his wife and fly helicopters too like a "Total Recall" vacation). He told them they can now go home. His wife asked loudly for an immediate second opinion. Doctor 2 comes out and orders an MRI and a spinal tap. He is diagnosed with SOMETHING PROBABLY but who knows?.... After 4 guys load him onto the gurney, they strap him in and sedate him. He is sent into the MRI with all of his clothes on. The MRI makes those standard annoying noises....whirrrrrr click click click knock knock chunk mrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr BANG!...whoops.

They then take him across the street for his GSW and treat him there. He normalizes 4 days later and asked the standard questions a person in his situation would ask:

"where am I?"
    "how'd I get here?"
    "UNKNOWN RANDOM DIAGNOSIS? is that bad?"
    "what do you mean 'I got shot'!!!???"

He cares a lot for the other Veterans, and being the guy he is, chalks it up to **** happens but he's glad he's alive. Again I'm paraphrasing...being a man of the cloth i think he chalks it up to "God works in mysterious ways" or whatever religious statement fits that scenario. Anyways, he is later told he needs to appear in court for bringing a gun into the VA.

This should stir an interesting conversation. Who is at fault for bringing a gun into the VA?

Is it the guy who's brain is completely unplugged?
    Is it the family who brought him in since they were essentially his default guardian/power of attorney?
    Is it the nurses for not searching him and sending him through the machine with a gun?
    Is it the Tech that operates the MRI machine for scanning someone in normal clothes? (assuming that's a policy violation)

Discuss. 1.2.3. GO!

Last edited:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Also i (and maybe Kirk?) found it interesting that the magnetic force of MRI could set off a gun. Allegedly. But who knows? Not me for sure.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Nah. Here's what happened...

An armed security guard was walking by the MRI room. When the magnet activated, it pulled him toward the machine by his gun. As he started to fall over, he felt he was in danger, so, he naturally reached for his gun. The magnet pulled his arm straight towards the machine and the patient. His finger was on the trigger because that's where it would be if you were going to use the gun. As the magnet pulled it out of his hand, his trigger finger was his last contact with the gun and it pulled the trigger as the gun left his hand.

No, really, that's what happened. I got the report through a psychic connection with the ghost of a Spanish-American War vet who haunts the place. His name is Ricardo.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Also i (and maybe Kirk?) found it interesting that the magnetic force of MRI could set off a gun. Allegedly. But who knows? Not me for sure.

It happens. I first saw it in 1993 with two Chicago cops at Good Shepherd hospital.

This should stir an interesting conversation. Who is at fault for bringing a gun into the VA?

No one is at fault.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    My thought is the VA. To be honest I'm trying to rationalize putting the blame on anyone else and I keep going back to the VA. Assuming this guy is out of his mind plus sedated, I doubt he was coherent enough to say, "hey guys, this giant magnet may pull the trigger of this gun you didn't notice since I'm not in a hospital gown."

I heard a bunch of important looking folks in suits ran in explaining that their MRI protocols weren't met and apologized. I may be wrong.

Regardless, he has to hire a lawyer and answer for his crime. Though I think it will be an easy win for him, unless I'm missing something, it'll still be a pain in his ass. My thought has always been, just because something bad happens doesn't mean someone should go to jail.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Wait why would he be having an MRI in his plain clothes? Pretty sure most pants have metal in them....(buttons, zippers, etc.)

Well, gee, because it was, you know, an emergency. Follow procedures and safety regulations? Ain't nobody got time fer dat!

But, seriously, The VA Hospital is a federal reservation and private carry of firearms is prohibited.
    Those who triaged the patient should have asked about and/or checked for weapons, especially if he was incoherent.
    Secondly, the technologist is responsible for checking the patient. If a Doctor orders the tech. to proceed without checking, the Doctor is responsible.

The bottom line is: the VA hospital bears ultimate responsibility for the safety of the patients.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

before acting on this advice...for the love of pete, PM me!

Depends.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Assuming an MRI, what steps were taken to ensure the man did not have metal...in this a case a gun, with him? Was he warned? Was he told of the consequences? Was he searched? Did he choose to keep the gun secret even though appropriately questioned about metal and warned because he had read on INGO that doctors shouldn't be told you have a gun? Is INGO liable?

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Is INGO liable?
    Gee, I dunno, is the Democratic party liable because they didn't outlaw private ownership of firearms when they had a majority in congress?

Assume purple if you think it's necessary.

Top Bottom