Gun shop etiquette. What are the dos and the do nots?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ndAMEND

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2013
    Northern
    I think the common courtesy goes both ways. I tend to not shop at places where the salesmen don't greet me. When they're busy its fine but when I'm willing to spend x amount of dollars and I have to ask for assistance it takes away from the experience. I was always told I don't have to beg anyone to take my cash

ifr2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    Indy
    I'm a believer in concealed carry, but the 1st trip into a new store I'd leave the gun outside. Build a relationship with the clerk or owner. Get to know them and let them get to know you.

The quickest way to get asked to leave is doing something unsafe.

timsdl72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    West Lafayette
    And the most important rule of all:

NEVER question the opinion or judgment of the person behind the counter. He/she is a trained professional and knows more than you will ever know.:bowdown:

+1

My first LGS experience is a fond memory. Something about 150yd shot with a Glock 17 and an aftermarket long barrel. It set the tone!

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Without asking, I would agree. But I think a simple "I have a friend looking for something like that. Do you mind if I send him a picture of it?" Would be appropriate. If they say no, politely go on about your business. As so many have said, it all about how you communicate your intentions.

A very good point. With permission, I think taking a few pictures would be all right.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Don't brag. I can't tell you how many people claimed to be on the Army Pistol Team.
    If you don't understand something, ask. (striker fired actions, double action, single action etc). The clerks generally can size up an individual fairly well and will be glad to explain mechanics, history, etc. if asked. It builds rapport and helps generate return business.
    I don't like people dry firing revolvers or cycling the actions. On an S&W it contributes to an early ring mark. On a Colt SAA, done improperly it will take a revolver out of time.
    Explain your specific firearm needs (target shooting, defense, competition, etc.) And don't be afraid to say you don't know what firearm and caliber is appropriate to fill those needs.
    I don't allow disassembly. I will do it for you. My rule is mostly because if you damage the finish doing so, you bought it at my advertised price. Period.
    I will negotiate, but if you lowball me an offer, the visit is over. Also, don't ask me "what is your best price?". I've got a written price. If you want to see if I'll accept a lower price, you make an offer.
    I may not have the firearm in stock, but I can normally get available firearms within 24 hours.
    Ask about warranty and gunsmithing services.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Your Store YOUR Rules...

" I will negotiate, but if you lowball me an offer, the visit is over. Also, don't ask me "what is your best price?". I've got a written price. If you want to see if I'll accept a lower price, you make an offer."

^^^These words seem to tell me that you do NOT want ME in your store??

Yea, yea,--you are "In Charge", and all that stuff--I GET that.

You tell us at the end of this quote "you make an offer". You tell us at the start of this quote "but if you lowball me an offer, the visit is over."

Then you tell us "I've got a written price." ???? WTF ???

BUT---We SURE know NOT to ask "what is your best price?"

I'm sure that you do well in your business..With these ^^^ attitudes toward The Customer you will get NONE of MINE...Bill.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Even if they say "welcome to (store name), make yourself at home", your pants must remain on during the entire visit. They should really have made that more clear.

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    " I will negotiate, but if you lowball me an offer, the visit is over. Also, don't ask me "what is your best price?". I've got a written price. If you want to see if I'll accept a lower price, you make an offer."

^^^These words seem to tell me that you do NOT want ME in your store??

Yea, yea,--you are "In Charge", and all that stuff--I GET that.

You tell us at the end of this quote "you make an offer". You tell us at the start of this quote "but if you lowball me an offer, the visit is over."

Then you tell us "I've got a written price." ???? WTF ???

BUT---We SURE know NOT to ask "what is your best price?"

I'm sure that you do well in your business..With these ^^^ attitudes toward The Customer you will get NONE of MINE...Bill.
    Obviously I'm not the only one who took Manatee's "commandments" this way.
    I'd just like to what LGS he is affiliated with so I don't make the mistake of going in there

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    A lowball offer tells me you're one of the guys that are generally a waste of my time. And I know that many of you jackals are on INGO cruising the classifieds. So, no, I don't want your visit and don't need it.

For a new shooter, he needs to understand that the sticker on the gun is the price the dealer will sell the item. If he wants make a reasonable counter offer (say 10%) lower, that's fine. We are then negotiating. But in law, my offer has been made: it's the sticker price.

I have a botique business primarily oriented to gunsmithing for competive shooters. And I have a backlog of many happy returning customers.

I get my business through referral, mostly, and it does very well, thank you. You also need to understand that I have never charged full retail, even during the worst of the frenzy eariler this year. And, if I think the customer can get a better deal at Buds, I'll do the transfer for him at a reasonable price.

Last edited:

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    A lowball offer tells me you're one of the guys that are generally a waste of my time. And I know that many of you jackals are on INGO cruising the classifieds. So, no, I don't want your visit and don't need it.

For a new shooter, he needs to understand that the sticker on the gun is the price the dealer will sell the item. If he wants make a reasonable counter offer (say 10%) lower, that's fine. We are then negotiating. But in law, my offer has been made: it's the sticker price.

I have a botique business primarily oriented to gunsmithing for competive shooters. And I have a backlog of many happy returning customers.

I get my business through referral, mostly, and it does very well, thank you.
    At least tell us what city your shop is in so that the "jackals" don't waste your precious time, breathe your air or take up space better occupied by your "many happy returning customers".

BTW, it's spelled "boutique".

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    1) DO NOT LEAN OVER THE COUNTER TO GRAB SOMETHING FROM THE BACK RACK, OR FROM THE CASE.
    2) If you are looking to purchase and have a price point let it be known, no since wasting your time showing you Colts if you have a Jennings budget.
    3) Remember there are very few real "experts" and your chances of encountering one at any particular LGS is slim to none. Most people have a decent knowledge of the products they carry, but they cannot be expected to know everything about every gun made or produced.
    4) Price adjustments are easier made on used items and accessories.
    5)Have fun, no running, kicking, screaming.

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Oh, so you'll bloviate about what you consider proper gun shop behavior but you're afraid to tell us where you're located. Smells like :poop: to me!
    As to being a spelling Nazi, guilty as charged. I ALMOST felt bad pointing it out to someone so superior.
    So you stay in your little anonymous shop with your many? happy return customers. Maybe if those customers saw this side of you there wouldn't as many of them.
    Have a lovely day!

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Oh, so you'll bloviate about what you consider proper gun shop behavior but you're afraid to tell us where you're located. Smells like :poop: to me!
    As to being a spelling Nazi, guilty as charged. I ALMOST felt bad pointing it out to someone so superior.
    So you stay in your little anonymous shop with your many? happy return customers. Maybe if those customers saw this side of you there wouldn't as many of them.
    Have a lovely day!

I'm not gonna feed your goading. I looked over your profile and threads and it appears you're a gun show guy. Fine. You'll probably meet a guy I know well who is up your way in Greentown? I'm a saint compared with him….and he's a friend and would agree.

My business either starts with a phone call and discussion or an appointment in the office of the shop. An individual meeting. We discuss your needs and look at various options. If I have it in stock, we'll go over things. In actuality, price is normally secondary since most of the guys are more interested in quality and gunsmithing services than price. But I do get a lot of referrals for items more inclined toward defense. I've done midnight repairs for State Police snipers and got ammo to special unit guys when 5.56 was going for $1 a round at gun shows.

My clients are all over the USA. I've been in business for 14 years full time and have a national reputation with no reason to advertise. So, I don't think I'm "superior", but I know I can deliver what others can't. You can wait 9 months with someone like Dawson. I can turn things in a few weeks.

I don't advertise because that has not been the strategy that has built a successful 14 year business.

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    I'm not gonna feed your goading. I looked over your profile and threads and it appears you're a gun show guy. Fine. You'll probably meet a guy I know well who is up your way in Greentown? I'm a saint compared with him….and he's a friend and would agree.

My business either starts with a phone call and discussion or an appointment in the office of the shop. An individual meeting. We discuss your needs and look at various options. If I have it in stock, we'll go over things. In actuality, price is normally secondary since most of the guys are more interested in quality and gunsmithing services than price. But I do get a lot of referrals for items more inclined toward defense. I've done midnight repairs for State Police snipers and got ammo to special unit guys when 5.56 was going for $1 a round at gun shows.

My clients are all over the USA. I've been in business for 14 years full time and have a national reputation with no reason to advertise. So, I don't think I'm "superior", but I know I can deliver what others can't. You can wait 9 months with someone like Dawson. I can turn things in a few weeks.

I don't advertise because that has not been the strategy that has built a successful 14 year business.
    If your friend had a gun shop in Greentown I heard he recently declared bankruptcy. I guess he didn't have as many "happy return customers" as you do. Don't know if you took the time to read all the posts in this thread but I'm not the only one who feels like I do.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    On any given issue I expect only one person to think I'm wonderful: My dog. Even my wife is happy with me only about 10% of the time. The rest of you guys…seriously….should I expect love off the internet? The most I can do is have someone think about what I've said from time to time and be open to what I've said.

I've thought a lot about the lowball issue while I was engaged in a drive and wait this afternoon. The "hidden" cost to any lowball offer is that the dealer refuses to budge off his price because he now believes you to be what I've said above. If you had started at a more agreeable and fair price, he might have been willing to give on his end. The other dealers won't tell you this, necessarily, but remember they see a lot more shaky customers than you see gun shops in your lifetime.

All of my comments were for the unitiated….what the OP requested input on. It doesn't apply to an ongoing/long term relationship. But, the OP didn't want input on that, did he?

For you other guys….well, we all know that you don't need any help. If your technique works for you, God Bless Ya.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Do: Buy a gun if it's reasonably priced.

Do not: Vomit on the floor, light a fire, tip over some chairs, unholster your gun, get fingerprints on the glass, run screaming out the door, stab a clerk, talk loudly on your phone, set up a monopoly game in the middle of the floor, disrupt other customers, pay with fake money, attempt to steal products, fart loudly, be disrespectful to the owners, or buy up all the .223

Seems like an easy question.

/thread.

Top Bottom