• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    When you go into a gun shop, what kind of etiquette do you expect? Such as the atmosphere, scenery, behavior and treatment of the employees. The merchandise and stock they have.

I've heard stories and such on how other have been treated. The attitude of the employees. How well stocked they are. Things like that.

A buddy of mine went into a gun store last winter. He was looking over a S&W, and decided he really wanted it. Told the employee he wanted it. So, he took the gun and closed the display case door. Meaning to sell my friend the display gun. He informed the employee that he didn't want the display. Immediately, his attitude changed. He became angry, and snottish. He went in back to look for a new one. My friend informed him he changed his mind, and left.

I've no idea what shop this was. But it made me curious what everyone expects when they walk into a gun shop.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    IMO I'd expect to purchase the one that was in the case. That's the one I said I wanted. All of my pistol purchases have gone that way, rifles too, except for a Savage I bought at Dick's.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i expect to be greeted/acknowledged in a friendly manner. i expect to be asked if i need any help. i expect to be helped in the order that i arrived. i would like to not be fed a line of bull in order to make a sale, but i certainly don't expect that.

Beechgrove Firearms is by far the best shop in terms of my expectations. And TSG. How I forgot them is beyond me.

Last edited:

MarkM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I expect to be treated like a person and not someone who is just buying a gun. That will keep me coming back.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    If we have more in the vault, we'll get that one for the customer. We only sell the display model if it's the last we have, or if it's the one the customer wants.

nova512

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    west side of indy
    when i go i dont want any attitude from anyone,i know alot of people dont know crap about guns,im no expert but not oblivious,dont try to sell me something i dont want.sometimes i learn something about another item,but when i go most of the time im after a certain item.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I just expect to be treated like I'm about to spend money that could be used for several other things and that to be respected. I don't put up with bad service or anyone having a bad day when I'm about to spend my money.

If your friend didn't want the display gun, he had the right to ask for something out of their stock, but that's his choice.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Every time I've bought a new gun, the employees have went in the back and checked for one in the "back" without me even asking. I've always assumed that the gun in the display is the one I'm buying but the folks in the stores have always checked in the back. Also, if it's the last one, most of the time, they say something and wipe the gun down with gun wipes or something and check the action, mag release, etc. Maybe I should consider myself lucky!

Beyond that, I just want to be respected and not given the rolling eyes or something if I ask a few clarifying questions. That's the one thing that will get me out of the shop pretty quick is getting disrespected for asking a couple questions or looking around without immediately asking to see something out of the case.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Buying a gun, is just like buying anything else. The problem is, you are somewhat limited as to where you can make your purchase because it is somewhat of a specialty item. I don't expect a salesperson to fall all over me like at a car dealership, or a jewelry store, but if I have questions, I expect timely answers. If I am serious about the item, I will tell the salesperson exactly that. At that time I expect them to follow through with me uninterrupted until the transaction is completed. On the other hand, if I am just browsing, I will tell the salesperson exactly that, and indicate to them that I will ask if I need help. I always try to go back to the first salesperson that spoke with me , assuming that they work on commission.

pankake

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2010
    SE Indy
    Amen DarkRose. Went to Elmore's yesterday, haven't been there in awhile and don't stop often. I don't know how long they have remodeled, but it does look better in there. At any rate, there were several guys behind the counter and only a couple customers. A couple of the guys looked our way as we meandered through the store for about 15 minutes, but no one ever said anything. I couldn't find what I wanted and finally spoke with one young lad after I was ignored by the cussing smoker. Young lad was helpful, said he could get what I wanted and I told him I will return if I decided to.

Apparently they only want to acknowledge their "regulars" so I will respect their wishes and not return.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    My top ten things of what not to do if you want to make a sale to me.

1: don't make me crawl over the stack of ammo from your shipment that came in and since you were running late at work did not put away.

2: If I ask to see a carry gun because my snub nose is a little big in the summer heat don't start out showing me a RRA 45. (Hey it is bigger)

3: If you need to answer the phone while you are working with me and it is ringing answer the phone. Do not make me listen to you talk to your friend about what Rush just said on the radio. I am still holding your new RRA pistol with just the glass case to put it down on.

4: After your 7 minute rush limbaugh update don't just go over to the other guy who just walked in the door and work with him for 10 minutes while I place the RRA on the glass case cause it is to big for summer carry.

5: When the chain smoking skinny guy yells to get the case of shotgun shells for him out of the shipment so he can call a guy and have him come get his order fine do it. But when you get within 5 feet of me please take a bath like once a week man cause you stink.

6: When a guy stands at the other case (me) pointing down at a Keltec 380 for over 3 minutes while you talk to the other guy again abut poncho vila and how the texans chased him out of the state. waddle your backside over to the other case and get out a pistol for the patiently waiting guy at the counter tapping loader now. But don't come closer than 5 feet away please.

7: A 90 dollar sale of a old military rifle is a sale none the less, but when you set it aside for the other guy who came in after me don't let it slide on the counter on the barrel in front of him because you don't want to/can't waddle over to put it back on the rack before starting paperwork.

8: When the tapping guy starts to wonder if anyone will sell him a gun don't let the skinny one make you go get another case of 9mm for another guys order. You have one sale ready to do paperwork and another sale in the making tapping a little loader now at the display case.

9: The skinny one makes a tag and replaces the tag on the keltek 380 while i am still tapping to see it with a 20 dollar price increase. places gun back in case and walks back to filling orders off the shipment. I understand you got orders to fill and can't take some time to help me. You have prices to raise on what I was looking at.

10: When the tapping stops and the now somewhat confused guy (me) is now walking to the door skinny guy don't make the comment to the big guy not to give away everything today as we have bills to pay. Hey you sold a 90 dollar rifle and lost a pistol sale because you were not attentive.

Happen tuesday 9-21-10 east side of INDY. (name withheld to protect the guilty) Did not even get a chance to ask if they had #4 buckshot in stock which is what I came in for. You lost that buckshot sale for sure.

The good thing is since I did not buy a thing there and met a fellow INGO'r to do a non firearm related trade I got to see his kahr 380, I think i like it better than the keltek now i just have to save up the rest of the cash. So East side gun shop you did me a favor.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I'll quote myself from another thread.....

I think after awhile gun shops know which customers are there to buy and which ones are there to just browse. Especially past customers or browsers that frequent the business. I am always greeted with smiles and handshakes when I go to Midwest Gun Exchange in Mishawaka. They magically seem to know when I am in a buying mood and will put clerk with me the entire visit and at the same time they seem to know when I'm just there to look at the goodies and check for new items. Even when I'm not there to buy they still treat me great, smile and talk when they have a chance. that is the kind of treatment that keeps customers coming back (even with their above average prices) and the thing that will make a new or potential customer feel welcome.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    After being on both sides of the table, it certainly does present a different perspective. I had a "late" start for getting into firearms compared to most people and the same things I dislike about gun stores are not specific to gun stores... they would be criticisms of any establishment.

Rude staff, condescending tones, not being in the "inner-circle" of the other people in the store, poor customer service and general arrogance.

It took me a long time to find a store that was willing to answer my questions and seem like they actually wanted my business.

Now that I occasionally work on the flip side of the table, I treat people how I wanted to be treated. I don't speak to women like they are idiots who are only intelligent enough to shoot revolvers, I give my opinion when asked, if I don't know something I say I don't know it and offer to look it up. I remember faces and the occasional name and I appreciate patronage and repeat business. People often approach me with what they describe as stupid questions and I'm happy to answer them. So far, the only stupid question I've encountered is the one not asked.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    The thing I hate most at a shop is when I tell them what I want and they try to sell me something else. I just told you, if you can help me do so, if not don't. If I wanted something else you have in the shop I would ask about it. That drives me crazy and is part of the reason I drive to 21st or Midwest, because they always go out of their way to help you get what YOU want and not just what they need to get rid of.

Glock_Breaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I think after awhile gun shops know which customers are there to buy and which ones are there to just browse.

Yeah, well I'm there to just browse because I haven't made my mind up yet. I've had that experience recently. I wanted to get my hands on a few, and it was like pulling teeth.

Heck, it was like pulling teeth just to convince them to sell me an extra target. :dunno:

Now I'm ready to buy, and they haven't done anything to convince me to buy from them instead of their competitors.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    My top ten things of what not to do if you want to make a sale to me.

I know right where you were! Just down the Pike from me!

My biggest issue with gun store employees is being taken seriously as a gun owner and shopper. I'm a younger guy and am normally in jeans a t-shirt and sandals. I look more like I should be tail-gating at a Jack Johnson concert than standing in a gun store, and I cannot begin to count the number of places I've been where my presence has been completely ignored. As I have gained a few years this has gotten better, but it still bugs me when I'm talked to like I know nothing about guns, when the guy twice my age in combat boots, cargo pants, a tacticool hat some sure fire t-shirt (barely covering his gut) and a thigh holster is presumed to be an expert becaue he's playing tacticool dress up for his shopping trip!

That rant aside, Bradis is my new favorite place. Been there once, was addressed respectfully, my questions were answered and was treated like a regular on my first visit. I live a little ways away, but will have no problems making the drive for the kind of service and hospitality I recieved.

Top Bottom