• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gareth

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's odd. I've openly carried there several times, as have others I was with. :dunno:

It has never been an issue.

I was carrying concealed the day my wife and I casually browsed the shop. Several locals had gathered in a cluster, expressing their ignorance of gun laws with an older man behind the counter. When I went to pay for some reloading components, the older employee started to angrily run his mouth about "arresting" those who walked in with carry guns that he could detect on them unless they sported a LE shield. When I calmly refuted his threat by explaining Indiana carry laws, he threw a red-faced tantrum while I just smiled, and explained that he could only demand that they leave his store. While he stood there continuing to fume and rant, my wife and I vacated the premises, vowing never to return.

Although that was the last time I patronized this shop, it wasn't the first odd encounter I experienced with this same individual. During a previous visit with my wife and an older gentlemen who builds custom hunting rifles, the same employee followed us suspiciously out to our vehicle, and started slyly pumping us for information about where we lived and so forth. I probably should have taken such peculiar behavior as a hint not to return to that particular establishment again.

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    WoW, this would **** me off......

Now for my rant, Local stores 10 being the best , 1 the worst.

H&H - service is better but still lacking. I will never forget being told what the law was and that I was fine taking my new purchase to the range. It was INGO that informed me otherwise. Granted, when I printed the law out and made the trip to talk with the same guy, he did admit he was wrong. I still do not frequent the store because of so so service and high prices. (3)

21st - long drive but great service! Prices sometimes great sometimes on the high side but at least I was told why it was higher. (7)

Precision Arms - Fair selection, great service, fair prices (7)

Midwest Gun Exchange - Fantastic selection, great service, high prices (6)

Tomlinson's - Fantastic Service, Fair selection, fair prices (8)

Ranger Supply - Higher prices, small selection but to be fair I have only been there once (5)

Gander Mountain FW -----ahh...(4) but better than H&H

Warsaw Shops
    Albertsons - Super HIGH prices , Fair selection, service ok (5)
    One other can not remember , but great service, small selection but I would purchase from them.

So you can tell that Tomlinson's is my favorite, If I were to place an order I will always check there first, and if I can get cheaper, they always understand and encourage me to take advantage of the better pricing.

Rant off..

I went to H & H for the first time this last Saturday and had a very pleasant experience! They were all very friendly and helpful, and didn't treat me like I was a nuisance for only using the range and not purchasing anything. As far as I'm concerned they've gained a customer for life as long as their attitude doesn't change!

Ranger Supply is a different story somewhat. I thought their prices were decent, but it seemed like if you weren't in their inner circle of friends/customers, that they kind of treated you as an outsider. At least that's the vibe my friend and I got.

Gander Mountain, while ridiculously expensive most of the time, will have some decent sales from time to time. Plus their staff seems friendlier than they used to be. Perhaps it was from all of my e-mails stating how they acted like jerks when you had to "bother" them and ask to see a gun. A lot better now though!

Gareth

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Gander Mountain, while ridiculously expensive most of the time, will have some decent sales from time to time. Plus their staff seems friendlier than they used to be. Perhaps it was from all of my e-mails stating how they acted like jerks when you had to "bother" them and ask to see a gun. A lot better now though!

I found the atmosphere and prices at the GM store located in Terre Haute to be commendable initially. But then these positive attributes steadily declined until I rarely shop there these days, except for a few specific items they stock; if they're not out-of-stock, which they often have been lately... And, yes, I've reported a few of their associates for disrespectful conduct as well.

If it weren't for the fact GM is a chain store, I really don't think it would continue to gasp for business in Terre Haute.

Indydrew

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Bradis and Plainfield Shooting Supply are my two favorite stores...that is largely because of the way the employees treat me when I am in there. Every time I have been in either store they've gone out of their way to help me find the part I am looking for. Customer service goes a long way in my book...

However, I also agree with what someone else said amongst the posts, doing business on INGO in the classifieds is my absolute favorite way to acquire new arms. I have met nothing but great folks and have had absolutely zero issues with the process. If you haven't tried this route as of yet, give it a try...

-Drew

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    I've "shopped" at GM, both in Castleton and Greenwood. I don't buy guns there because I get ignored. I don't think I've only been asked if I'd like some help ONCE in years of going in there. I'll sometimes buy other items there that I don't need help with. I personally like Bradis. Everytime I've been in there I'm greeted and treated right.

mdeshon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Out yander
    I expect to be greeted and asked if I need any help. I went to a store on the east side of indy this last sat. Went there thinking this was a good shop from people here on INGO. I showed up was only me and one other person there and two people working. I stood there looking at the two guns I was looking to purchase. I stood there for 15min. Keep in mind this shop is small about the size of a small bedroom. They did not have gun I wanted a S&W M&P 9mm, but they did have it in .40cal Finally after s standing there for 15min he ask me if i need any help. I said yes do you have or can you get the M&P in 9mm. He said NO I dont like 9mm for they are not very popular and then said he would not order one for me in the most rude tone ever. I think he was mad cause he had to get his fat a** of his stool to talk to me. But long story short I left went back to Anderson and bought one at a local store. Paid a little more than what he had on that .40 but at least the local store treated me like he wanted my money.

EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    I expect to be greeted and asked if I need any help. I went to a store on the east side of indy this last sat. Went there thinking this was a good shop from people here on INGO. I showed up was only me and one other person there and two people working. I stood there looking at the two guns I was looking to purchase. I stood there for 15min. Keep in mind this shop is small about the size of a small bedroom. They did not have gun I wanted a S&W M&P 9mm, but they did have it in .40cal Finally after s standing there for 15min he ask me if i need any help. I said yes do you have or can you get the M&P in 9mm. He said NO I dont like 9mm for they are not very popular and then said he would not order one for me in the most rude tone ever. I think he was mad cause he had to get his fat a** of his stool to talk to me. But long story short I left went back to Anderson and bought one at a local store. Paid a little more than what he had on that .40 but at least the local store treated me like he wanted my money.

That place just acts like they want to go out of business sooner rather than later. Granted, their prices are hard for ANYONE to touch, and anyone looking for a pocket pistol on a budget will be pleased with what they find, but half the time they act like they could care less about making a buck. Sometimes I do catch them on a good day, though, and that makes it easier to continue to darken their door. I pretty much just go there because I drive past regularly and they have a decent price on .32 Aguila ammo.

mdeshon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Out yander
    Yea their prices are great but the bad customer service made me drive all the way back home to pay $19 more on the same gun but the plus side is the guy at my local store threw in a box of ammo for free after I told him what had happened

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    OSS, Bradis and Premier in Brownsburg have always greeted me, been friendly and not once have I had a problem. I've been to GM and only go there because they r 1 of the few places that stocks .222 ammo (so does PSS and Premier). haven't been to Beech Grove yet, but will be soon. From others reviews I expect the same treatment Im used to

octalman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Comparing Indiana shops to other regions, just for some discussion fodder. Cosners in Bedford the best Indiana experience. Friendly, helpful, invited me to look at the good stuff in the vault. Shop in the country outside Dallas was an interesting experience. All huge pick up trucks in the parking lot. Smoking on the porch discussing politics. Let's just say current administration would not receive a warm welcome. No frills inside with lots of guns, ammo, and dead critters. Very friendly, "yes-sir, no sir", willing to make a deal.

By far the best gun shop visited is in downtown Salt Lake City. Packed with guns, ammo, reloading supplies, gear, accessories, etc. Willing to talk at length about any gun in the shop or not. Very knowledgeable without an attitude or bias. Eager to demonstrate anything and discuss pros and cons. Everyone in the shop helpful without being pushy. A busy place, but saw no sign of any customer being rushed.

Strangest was a shop in Texas that sported a large sign on the door that said guns and cellphones not permitted inside.

mdeshon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Out yander
    Comparing Indiana shops to other regions, just for some discussion fodder. Cosners in Bedford the best Indiana experience. Friendly, helpful, invited me to look at the good stuff in the vault. Shop in the country outside Dallas was an interesting experience. All huge pick up trucks in the parking lot. Smoking on the porch discussing politics. Let's just say current administration would not receive a warm welcome. No frills inside with lots of guns, ammo, and dead critters. Very friendly, "yes-sir, no sir", willing to make a deal.

By far the best gun shop visited is in downtown Salt Lake City. Packed with guns, ammo, reloading supplies, gear, accessories, etc. Willing to talk at length about any gun in the shop or not. Very knowledgeable without an attitude or bias. Eager to demonstrate anything and discuss pros and cons. Everyone in the shop helpful without being pushy. A busy place, but saw no sign of any customer being rushed.

Strangest was a shop in Texas that sported a large sign on the door that said guns and cellphones not permitted inside.

That shop in Texas sounds like my kind of shop. We need a place with their demeanor here in Indiana. But the best shops around here I have been to are Crack Shot and Buck Shot in Anderson.

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    I dont mind the guys that are a little rough around the edges as long as they understand that I am there to spend my hard earned money and they are there to help me make my decision if I need it. It doesnt have to be flowers, ponies, and bunny rabbits. However, It does need to be run like a respectable business and I wont spend my money there if that is not the case.

Mike

mdeshon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Out yander
    I dont mind the guys that are a little rough around the edges as long as they understand that I am there to spend my hard earned money and they are there to help me make my decision if I need it. It doesnt have to be flowers, ponies, and bunny rabbits. However, It does need to be run like a respectable business and I wont spend my money there if that is not the case.

Mike

I agree 100% these guys acted like they did not want my money cause I didnt want a Glock or something in .40

Scotty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Anderson
    Always had good luck with Crackshot in Anderson! Good prices and service! Always crowded though...must be because it's such a good place!

Elvis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I went to a store in Bluffton today, I have been in there many times and bought ammo and such. But today I went with a little more money in my pocket than usual to buy a rifle. The sales person that I talked to at first almost caused me to walk out never to return. First he ignored what I wanted and tried to sell me what he likes. Then once I got him back on track to show me the rifle I wanted, he started giving me information on some cheap surplus ammo that I didnt even want but he kept pushing it on me. BTW the ammo he was trying to sell me wasnt even for the rifle I wanted but rather the rifle he was previously trying to push on me. Then mid conversation he ran out the door to greet the ups man never to return in the 15 min I was still there before walking out empty handed. All I wanted was an AK47.. pretty straight forward I thought.

The only thing that saved me from possibly never shopping there again was one of the regular employees walked over and helped me for a min but I was not in the mood to purchase at that point.

I would like to mention that all my previous trips to that store have been positive but in todays job market I'd bet there are 10 people with better qualifications just waiting to take that guys job. Times are tough and every customer should be treated with respect. I will eventually calm down and return to that store but will avoid him.

Top Bottom