• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Some of you Warrick County "Old Timers" might remember Harvey's Sporting Goods on North Third Street in Boonville, IN. I grew up in Boonville. I remember going there and buying a box of .22 shorts for my old pump action Winchester Rifle. I don't remember the price, but I remember it was expensive; maybe 50 cents a box of 50 (of 100)? I don't remember, heck I was only 10 and I got the money from my grandpa, or mowed a yard for 50 cents.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    You might be thinking of Yukon Sportmaster on the southeast corner of Lynhurst and Washington. An older gentleman I work with said he worked there back in the '60's while he was in high school (said he bought his first shotgun there) and I remember going in there a few times around '74-'75.

Thats the right location but the name doesn't ring a bell. I bought my Ruger there early June of '77 and several trips there after that. I remember wanting a rifle they had but never came up with enough cash. Don't even remember what the rifle was.

Matt

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    The old Fetlas in Valparaiso always had a good selection of guns and even a few people worked there who actually knew some stuff about guns. I used to go there about once a month with my dad and my first gun I bought as an adult came from there. I really miss that place every time I drive by the empty building.

at11kansan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Indy
    I spent many a day at Ed and Alice Parrs shop. They are both gone now her having died last year. They had the best dark Winchester blue you could get as well as case hardening + lots of old parts. Also hung out at Tony Colenie's shop in Fishers as well as George Perkins. Wish we had more like them still.

at11kansan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Indy
    Broad Ripple Sport Shop had a buddy of mine who was related to one of the two brothers that owned it. We could use the upstairs shop and hang out shooting the bull for hours.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Sadly, Craig's hase been closed for a while........

Years ago, I remember a story about a "hunting trip" bear attack and more. Never knew if the tales were true or just vicious gossip.

This was before my internet days.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Haven't heard that, hope it isn't true! He's a great guy! I work in Logan and used to spend a lot of time (and money) in there. It was a good lunch time release. There was a good guy named Steve that was always in there too. I wish I would bump into them sometime. I thought Jim was just getting tired of the business side of things and was gonna let his FFL expire and get out. I need to find another shop like that!
    I think the final nail in Jim's coffin was the road construction near his shop. Now I don't even see him at the Ft. Wayne show anymore.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Newmans Pharmacy in Mishawaka on the corner of Logan and Jefferson. Had a corner of the store devoted to guns. After the pharmacy closed, the gun portion moved to Osceola where I bought my first gun at, a 92 FS and my second, a Gen 1 Glock 19. They also had an archery section that I had absolutely no interest in. Not sure when it closed but I miss it. They had a 'can't beat' lawaway policy; I had my Beretta on lawaway for about 3 months and my Glock even longer. They'd hold it until it was paid for, no questions asked.

Bought my Marlin 60 at K Mart! in Mishawaka. They use to have decent gun selection.

saberstar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Bloomington, IN
    The reason why I asked about jimmy craigs near crane is because I did a search on the internet and it says they are still an FFL. It also gave a description of selling firearms. So didn't want to make the trip down there if no goods were to be found.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    The reason why I asked about jimmy craigs near crane is because I did a search on the internet and it says they are still an FFL. It also gave a description of selling firearms. So didn't want to make the trip down there if no goods were to be found.

i'm 4 miles from craigs and they are closed......and yes Jimmy did get damn near killed by a bear....

Indycar:v1.1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Not close enuf to the track
    I went to the auction of The Bullet Holes inventory. Heimels (sp) in Beech Grove. Think the Bullet Hole north store had some association with Rick Mount.
    Was the gun store in New Whiteland called The Harvest Moon?
    Remembered one more: Winsor Guns in Wanamaker. Was in a guys garage then in a really nice building just off Southeastern.

The Bullet Hole bought out a large amount of Rick Mount's inventory. I remember lots of price stickers with Rick Mount on them and asked about it.

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    Hookeye mentioned Norm's Sport Shop up north. I was in there as a pre-teen and the place was paradise for a young shooter. I lived in Delaware County for most of my life and there were several shops there. My all time favorite was Bullets Unlimited in Albany. It was owned by Don and Jo Comer. His main focus was on reloading supplies. He had it all; bullets, brass, primers, powder. presses...you name it. He carried several new and used guns and could order almost anything you'd want. He was a regular at gun shows and I would sometimes help Jo set up their tables while Don was working at his real job. Muncie had Ben Shostle's Gun Room that dealt in higher-end firearms and engraving. The south side had Old Friends Gun Shop in the lower floor of a two story house. There was also Ross Corner Hardware at 12th and Hoyt that sold hunting and fishing stuff.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    WHOA! You just passed Norm's (US 30 by Larwill)

That and Schutz Bros (North Manchester) when I was a kid.

After them it was Lengels (Wabash). Good times.

Added:

Gary's Surplus (Kokomo)
    and Sports Headquarters (Indy)

Shot bow at Albertson's (still around though).

I miss Gary's on the courthouse square. I remember seeing barrels of surplus rifles in the $30 range.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    Newmans Pharmacy in Mishawaka on the corner of Logan and Jefferson. Had a corner of the store devoted to guns. After the pharmacy closed, the gun portion moved to Osceola where I bought my first gun at, a 92 FS and my second, a Gen 1 Glock 19. They also had an archery section that I had absolutely no interest in. Not sure when it closed but I miss it. They had a 'can't beat' lawaway policy; I had my Beretta on lawaway for about 3 months and my Glock even longer. They'd hold it until it was paid for, no questions asked.
    Bought my first shotgun and bow there.

I also remember North Side Feed in Mishawaka hada boatload of shotgun stuff.
    They knew my dad and would always tell me to say hi to him when we would go in there.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    I remember a shop in New Castle In called Ramrod i believe, they had a full body mount Lion in a glass case and it looked like it was gonna attack ya when you walked in, big place and had some good buy's too.... Now its a judo place I believe... Sorry if someone already posted about it , didn't read all the posts... But that lion was cool...

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    I remember a lot of the old one's but this was my favorite. ...
    Jims daughter posted this on Facebook today.
    IMG_1019221231965.jpg

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I went to High school with the Shirley brothers when they were much more interested in Corvettes than firearms and worked for them in the store on Madison right after they opened. Nice to remember all the stores and stories that go with them. A friend of mine lived in Lebanon and Notes gunshop was just down the alley from his house. Ol Howard Jenkins was known for being a bit cantankerous but always seemed ok to me (but I went in there with my Uncle and that was before I could buy guns). I don't think anyone has mentioned Herb Agee that had a shop on Pendelton pike. I worked with G W Starr bought and UZI from him and I believe his son John is still working but haven't seen him recently. I also dealt with Bill at the S&T harware in Greenwood, really likeable guy. Too bad Mark Pearcy isn't around anymore, I think he worked at most of the shops in town at one time or another. Which reminds me of the shop that Mark was manager of at Ritter and Washington, Joseph Munson Co. I still remember Marks 240Z sitting in the parking lot there, first one I rode in. Joe was a bit of an unusual character but really nice guy. Called me in his office on day and handed me a silver proof coin that said, what else, Joseph Munson company on it with Ben Franklin's likeness on it. Typical of Joe, he said if he had thought of it he would have had HIS likeness put on the coin. Joe tired of the store and had and auction and moved to Fla. I was told later that he actually wanted to lose money at the store for tax purposes but he didn't let Mark in on that little fact until he decided to close it?? That's enough dredging up memories for me for the moment.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III mechanic [FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] --[/FONT]1911 Mechanic[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Fetla's in Valparaiso. Its where my dad bought me my Marlin 60. :patriot: City of Gary put them out of business according to my dad...don't know if its true or not. Dad was long time friends with Bert...the guy that owned the place.

Sheemas would trade, and sell handguns. Nice people, once their customer, always knew your name. Think it was a retirement time issue, and don't blame them as the area has changed to a more potential crime zone. They had a couple of incidents, and weren't harmed, but those things all add up. Cathy and Jim also shot a lot of competition events, and did well.
    Miss their smiling faces.

Fetlas: like a junk shop, but did have a lot of guns hanging up, cased, and ammo everywhere. I remember British 303 Enfields laying in wooden crates in front of the gun aisle. Had a 1 year layaway that no one could match. Who can afford $600.00 cash in your wallet every day? Knew all the guys and girls there also. Yep, another Gary, Indiana victim.
    I bet the gangbangers quit selling "hot pieces" snce the stores closed, LOL.
    Bert had MS and sold the place. It went downhill quickly after it was sold.

Top Bottom