Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Gun-Show Customers? License Plates Come Under Scrutiny - WSJ

Oct. 2, 2016 7:35 p.m. ET

Federal agents have persuaded police officers to scan license plates to gather information about gun-show customers, government emails show, raising questions about how officials monitor constitutionally protected activity...

...The investigative tactic concerns privacy and guns-rights advocates, who call it an invasion of privacy. The law-enforcement officials say it is an important and legal tool for pursuing dangerous, hard-to-track illegal activity.

There is no indication the gun-show surveillance led to any arrests or investigative leads, but the officials didn’t rule out that such surveillance may have happened elsewhere...

Further:

Feds enlist police to scan gun-show customers' license plates, report finds | Fox News

Federal Agency Pushed Law Enforcement to Scan License Plates of Gun Show Attendees - Breitbart

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I wonder exactly how many prohibited persons, known to the government as prohibited persons (i.e. felony and/or drug convictions, etc.), have vehicles registered and tagged in their own names?

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    I wonder exactly how many prohibited persons, known to the government as prohibited persons (i.e. felony and/or drug convictions, etc.), have vehicles registered and tagged in their own names?
    A lot of them do. Many departments in the bigger cities have vehicles equipped with automatic license plate readers, all they have to do is drive around and it will tag people with warrants. They drive through hotel parking lots on a regular basis and simply go to the front desk to find out what room they are in. A lot of people with warrants aren't too smart.
    They have been reading plates at gun shows around the country for years now.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    A lot of them do. Many departments in the bigger cities have vehicles equipped with automatic license plate readers, all they have to do is drive around and it will tag people with warrants. They drive through hotel parking lots on a regular basis and simply go to the front desk to find out what room they are in. A lot of people with warrants aren't too smart.
    They have been reading plates at gun shows around the country for years now.

"Warrants" != "prohibited persons"

Yeah, lots of people have warrants. But the vast majority of those warrants, I'm guessing, do not cause those people to be "prohibited persons".

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I expect no privacy when it comes to my license plate. It is in clear view. Shopping malls have done similar things for decades, albeit focusing on the county and state, not the individual.

Is it illegal for a felon to attend a show?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I expect no privacy when it comes to my license plate. It is in clear view...

I think that is wise. The real question is what the are doing with the information? If it's a nugget of information the police may use to determine whether they need to look at a person more closely for illegally dealing in firearms or straw-purchasing...don't see a problem. If it's to compile a list of people who attend gun shows....problem.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I expect no privacy when it comes to my license plate. It is in clear view. Shopping malls have done similar things for decades, albeit focusing on the county and state, not the individual.

Is it illegal for a felon to attend a show?

THIS.

I have both a LTCH and FFL03 - I'm already on "the list".

IF they're simply looking for active warrants, I have no problem with this.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I was thinking this is a strong case for backing into spaces when possible. Always did prefer Batman parking, so a quick exit of the area is possible also.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Attended a demo of such equipment for the IPD vehicle theft unit around 10 years ago. The original intended use was to catch the guy who parked for a week in the short-term parking at an airport, for example, then claimed he lost his ticket and payed for 8 hours. At that time, it recorded every plate it saw and attached GPS/date/time info. Then that info was downloaded and compared to an existing database such as NCIC. It was not "instant". No doubt it's upgraded by now.

Top Bottom