Gun show Franklin, in. March 18th & 19th.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darthur

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2016
    Bargersville
    Even though there was a very small vendor selection of guns, I still managed to find a couple of items that interested me. I picked up a 91/30 in a synthetic stock for a project I've been wanting to do. Also did some trading for cap and ball revolver that already had a conversion cylinder installed and made a new friend to boot while doing so.

Darthur

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2016
    Bargersville
    I also attended the 1500 on Friday. Because my interests right now is generally in C&R type guns I was looking for mosins, k31's, swedish mausers in particular. Did not see any Swedish mausers or K 31's at all but did see a few mosins for 100-150 more than you can buy them online for. Kinda disappointed in the 1500 in general. The only highlight for me was seeing a couple of retired co-workers at the Marine Corps League booth. Don't know if I will go back to next one or not at this point. Does anyone know of any Indiana gun shows that have more of a focus torwards surplus guns in general?

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    I was planning on going to the 1500 this weekend but then saw this. I'm still getting my feet wet here, but I'm confused as to why a smaller group would have a show the same time as a larger one in such close proximity.

After awhile you'll learn that this is a pretty common phenomenon in Indiana. I have seen up to three small gun shows all within a 1/2 hour of each other. Sometimes in Evansville, two shows will be happening on the same weekend.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Does anyone know of any Indiana gun shows that have more of a focus torwards surplus guns in general?

C&R's nowadays are a hit and miss at gunshows. You can go to about 4 or 5 shows and not see much of anything, then on that 6th show, bam they pop up. To find C&R deals you have to be willing to put miles on the car and travel all about. There's one shop that I know of that always has random C&R's in stock but that's all the way down in Clarksville, Fall City.

Darthur

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2016
    Bargersville
    C&R's nowadays are a hit and miss at gunshows. You can go to about 4 or 5 shows and not see much of anything, then on that 6th show, bam they pop up. To find C&R deals you have to be willing to put miles on the car and travel all about. There's one shop that I know of that always has random C&R's in stock but that's all the way down in Clarksville, Fall City.

I will be taking a trip to see my aunt down in Lexington KY in the near future. Lots of great shops I remember in Lexington to visit, most are still there. "Falls City" is that the name of the shop in Clarksville, maybe I could stop and check them out?
    I also went to the National Gun Day show in Louisville a few weeks ago. It was great, lots of antiques and high end guns to see. There was a good selection of military C&R there too but not as many as I was expecting. Most of the military C & R's were pristine examples and priced accordingly.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    If you can, let Rick at Falls City know your coming. One time we went down there and he had the store full of his Customers, Lackeys and General Clinger-on-ers .. Rick announced.. "Hold on boys I have something to show you" He got on the phone and with in 15 mins the Blue Angles moved their practice show to right over his shop.. It was spectacular... The man has connections..

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    I also attended the 1500 on Friday. Because my interests right now is generally in C&R type guns I was looking for mosins, k31's, swedish mausers in particular. Did not see any Swedish mausers or K 31's at all but did see a few mosins for 100-150 more than you can buy them online for. Kinda disappointed in the 1500 in general. The only highlight for me was seeing a couple of retired co-workers at the Marine Corps League booth. Don't know if I will go back to next one or not at this point. Does anyone know of any Indiana gun shows that have more of a focus torwards surplus guns in general?

Two gun shops semi-local, Bradis in Camby and Four Seasons in Bloomington will have almost anything you are looking for.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Two gun shops semi-local, Bradis in Camby and Four Seasons in Bloomington will have almost anything you are looking for.

Ouch, If you go to Four seasons prepare to pay big money for guns. They have to be one of the highest priced stores in Indiana.. they list their guns on gunbroker so you can compare their prices..

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Even though there was a very small vendor selection of guns, I still managed to find a couple of items that interested me. I picked up a 91/30 in a synthetic stock for a project I've been wanting to do. Also did some trading for cap and ball revolver that already had a conversion cylinder installed and made a new friend to boot while doing so.

Meant to ask, do you have a photo of the Conversion??

Darthur

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2016
    Bargersville
    conversion pistol 38 2.jpg conversion 38 pistol.jpg Here it is, Looks to be a pocket police 36 cal converted to 38 S&W. All Steel frame, no brass on it anywhere. Proof mark says it was made by Uberti and the numbers XXV say manufactured in 1969 according to the chart I looked up. It looks brand new, could not hardly believe it was that old but that is what is on it. It looks like it may have never been shot.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Sorry about the large picture and all of the text on the post. first time I have ever posted a picture. not sure what I did wrong.

The pictures look nice to me, and the gun looks nicer... Have wanted to get a conversion cylinder but just never got there.. know its a bit early, but have you fired it yet???

Now it looks like you do not have a gate for the cylinder. Some were made that way... You have to tell how well the cartridges
    stay in...

Nice looking revolver, Any desire to remove the loading lever? Cap & Balls look so naked with out it.

Darthur

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2016
    Bargersville
    I am going to order some ammo for it this week-end. Probably won't get to shoot it until the next week-end though. I have found some black powder cartridges and some smokeless cowboy loads. I plan to get both and compare the two. I agree about the loading lever. Only thing is that it means no ejector assembly but I plan to just take a small piece of dowel rod along for now to push the spent cartridges out.
    It looks to be a gunsmith conversion done at some time or another. I think the cartridges will be fine without the gate since the timing on the cylinder is such that when you come to half or full cock they are not in line with the open groove. Come to think of it,for that matter they are not in line with the hammer down either. They only time they line up is when you have it at half cock and spin it by hand to load. Then as soon as you are loaded and pull the hammer on back they are in between the slot.
    If you are thinking about a conversion, I would go with a 44 cap&ball to 45 conversion. they are less problematic in regards to bore size and conversion bullet size. 36 cal bore is an odd duck and so is 38 for that matter. An actual 38 bullet is .357 because back when they designed the cartridge in the late 1800's it was measured on the size of the cartridge neck, or so I have heard.
    I am curious about the new 38 special factory converted 1851 Navy's that Taylors, Uberti are selling now. I believe they probably have a bore size that is optimum for 38 special straight from the factory. I may have to order one just to see:)

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I am going to order some ammo for it this week-end. Probably won't get to shoot it until the next week-end though. I have found some black powder cartridges and some smokeless cowboy loads.:)

I really have not researched these at all did not know they could take smokeless.. I thought you needed to use BP...

From some of the conversions done in the day, they seem to have made lots of variations, With Loading Lever, with out, With hole for loading lever and no lever, No Lever no hole. One time at Wanamacher's there was a guy there with a large number of vintage Conversions, and it was a site to see all the variations..

Will like to hear a range report of that little Beastie... Do you go to a certain range or just have a large Backyard,??

Darthur

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2016
    Bargersville
    I live about 15 minutes from Atterbury but I also go to Point blank in Southport too. I could probably get away with a few rounds out behind the house but my old hound dog is terrified of gunshots so I go to the range.
    I would venture to say that during the conversion period most every blacksmith and gunsmith would do a conversion to cartridge for a sum if you had it, many with their own take on it. That is part of what make it all interesting to me. Kind of like todays 1911's where everyone has their own options and preferences.
    Just curious, what is Wanamacher's? Do you shoot black powder rifles too? I have made contact with some guys in a local black powder club and plan to go to one of their shoots as soon as I get caught up at work.
    I also like to shoot modern guns not just black powder. We should go sometime.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Just curious, what is Wanamacher's? Do you shoot black powder rifles too? I have made contact with some guys in a local black powder club and plan to go to one of their shoots as soon as I get caught up at work.
    I also like to shoot modern guns not just black powder. We should go sometime.

Kind of a fun read on early conversions...

5. THE COLT CARTRIDGE CONVERSIONS | Sixguns.com forums

Wanamacher's is one of the greatest gun shows in the world, They hold it out in Tulsa OKwell worth the drive..

WANENMACHER'S TULSA ARMS SHOW

I do like to shoot black powder but I like most historical guns.. And black powder is also nice to make custom cannons and such devices that you could not make if it used smokeless powder.

Would love to go out shooting,

Darthur

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2016
    Bargersville
    Ok I have heard about that show, just didn't know what it was called. It will be getting nice enough to shoot on about any day soon. trip to atterbury should be in order.
    Funny story about a black powder cannon. About 15 years ago my dad and I went to visit our cousin on my great grandfathers old farm in eastern KY. way up in a holler(yes they are hollers down there). We were out by the old barn and blacksmiths shop shooting various sorts of things across the road and creek. My cousin said wait a minute and disappeared into the shop and came out pulling a cannon he had made. We loaded it up and started shooting it across into the side of the mountain He had round balls that he had cast about the size of a golf ball. Fun stuff.
    A couple of hours later we were sitting around n front of the barn bs'ing and a car came down the road and pulled in. Neighbor, He got out and sat down bs'ed with us and at some point said "you know sometimes it sounds like you are shooting a cannon off down here". My cousin just grinned and said "yea I know do you want to see it?' That was all it took for us to set off a few more to see how it was after dark. We all got in trouble with my cousins wife for waking up the grandbaby and had to quit for the night. I will never forget that, it was so much fun!

Top Bottom