• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    It is another misnomer by the Left to confuse and scare people. You know they are not to be trusted, when they can't even tell it like it is. The "gun show loophole" refers to any direct sales from person to person. Dealers, at a gun show or not, must always do background checks.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    This is the real goal,I believe that if this administration does not accomplish anything else,they want to set the stage for registration...

That, and too make it so I can't buy a gun from my buddy without having to pay a transfer fee. Follow the money!

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    At gun shows anyone can rent a table and sell their goods. FFL dealers must run background checks just as they do in their brick and mortar store. If a private collector rents a booth he/she does not run background checks just as anyone would not when selling through a private transaction. In my opinion the only way to close the "loophole" is to require gun registration. Then all sales would have to go through a FFL dealer for the required background checks and we would have to pay for this. I also don't care for the fact that the govt will be keeping a database of any firearms I might own. All of this nonsense would not of prevented what happened in Connecticut so it really pi$$es me off. It's so obvious that the Democrats are taking advantage of this horrible situation in order to push there anti-gun agenda.:noway:

Last edited:

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Before I die, am I going to have to go through an FFL to leave my grandson his great grandfather's Model 61 pump 22 and .410 single shot shotgun? What a bunch of crap the lowlife politicians in Washington are wanting to pile upon us. It will likely cost a bunch of money with the federal government involved and my grandson will also be placed on a list or two or three for me wanting to pass along a couple of family heirlooms. What a crock!! Thanks for nothing Barry!!

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Before I die, am I going to have to go through an FFL to leave my grandson his great grandfather's Model 61 pump 22 and .410 single shot shotgun? What a bunch of crap the lowlife politicians in Washington are wanting to pile upon us. It will likely cost a bunch of money with the federal government involved and my grandson will also be placed on a list or two or three for me wanting to pass along a couple of family heirlooms. What a crock!! Thanks for nothing Barry!!

Not if you gift it to him NOW and just store for him in your safe... ;)

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria

I got a note from a friend in NJ yesterday who said that her father wanted to give her HIS father's handgun -- which was valued at something like $20 -- but that she would then have to take the mandated firearms safety class for $150 before she could take possession.

She decided that it wasn't worth the cost just to keep a family heirloom.

Welcome to the new Amerika, comrades.

96ramair

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Delphi
    Even if they make you do background checks they dont keep track of what you bought....
    Close the "loop hole" I could live with that better then a AWB....

evsnova74

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Near-east Indy
    Even if they make you do background checks they dont keep track of what you bought....
    Close the "loop hole" I could live with that better then a AWB....

Then how do they make you? Without registration who's to say the guns in my possession weren't bought in a ftf transaction before the implementation of universal bgc's?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I saw the President of the NRA on the Today Show. He said that they had proposed years ago that if they want to do background checks at gun shows that the government have the ATF set up a booth at the gun show and do them for any transactions that occur at the show. He explained that requiring background checks when one neighbor sells a shotgun to another is when it just doesn't make sense. I would assume then that we will probably get this passed in the Congress. Of course from now on, I will see you in the parking lot.

evsnova74

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Near-east Indy
    Even when ffl dealers do a background check the atf doesn't keep track of what you bought..

No I'm agreeing with you, that's my point. There's no registration right now. I guess what I was getting at is that without registration, why would everyone voluntarily transfer a private gun transaction through an ffl on a ftf sale if both parties have good classifieds feedback ratings? Of course some of the more paranoid sellers required ffl transfer even before all this. (which I applaud, it helps me argue against opponents of unregulated private ftf sales which I believe are self regulatory to a large degree)

My main point is that without registration the universal bgc thing has no teeth. If there's a universal bgc law put into place without registration, and I see a gun on the classifieds, why couldn't I call the guy (to keep it off the internet lol) and see if we could save ourselves some money and just do a ftf transaction sans an ffl? Provided we both have high feedback ratings and neither party throws up any red flags that is. Responsible law abiding gun owners don't want their guns falling into the wrong hands and therefore don't want to sell to an improper person anyway... Or like I said before, if I acquire a gun in a ftf sale without a bgc, who's to say I didn't acquire it before the universal bgc law went into place? How could they prove it without registration?

Also, no I guess ffl's aren't required to charge, but they jumped through a lot of hoops to get that license, why wouldn't they charge? I for one don't like to leave money on the table.... :dunno:

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    Follow the money? FFLs aren't required to charge you a transfer fee.

They aren't required to charge a fee, but as a business owner would you want your (or your staff) time overseeing your business or donating your time to oversee the business of others.

Also, who is required to hold paperwork if the gun shop is doing the background check? Are they also eventually going to be responsible then for checking the the serials on these non-customers' guns to see if they were reported stolen or not?

Depending on how this is implemented, this is just as big (or bigger) of a headache for FFLs than it is for private joe schmoe who wants to sell his gun.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I believe the idea is that they just "insure" through the background check that the person being the gun is not ineligible (i.e. Felon, drug addicted, mentally ill) same as all checks. I have been told they don't track the serial numbers, etc. on the check.

The NRA's suggestion of having the ATF there to do the check seems reasonable to me if that's what they want to do for their gun show loophole. The next problem for them will be the "neighbor's garage" and "parking lot sales" loopholes.

Top Bottom