• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    This. Every question I've seen in this thread related to the application of the new rule is answered here.
    500-page PDF's are scary, though.

Like HoughMade sade, skip to page 452. I think the most relevant paragraph that answers the main question everyone is asking, is right here:

§ 478.13 Definition of “engaged in the business as a dealer in firearms other than a
    gunsmith or a pawnbroker.”

(a) Definition. A person who devotes time, attention, and labor to dealing in
    firearms as a regular course of trade or business to predominantly earn a profit through
    the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms. The term shall not include a person who
    makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a
    personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of the person’s personal
    collection of firearms. In addition, the term shall not include an auctioneer who provides
    only auction services on commission to assist in liquidating firearms at an estate-type
    auction; provided, that the auctioneer does not purchase the firearms, or take possession
    of the firearms for sale on consignment

Also relevant:

(d) Predominantly earn a profit. (1) Definition. The intent underlying the sale or
    disposition of firearms is predominantly one of obtaining pecuniary gain, as opposed to
    other intents, such as improving or liquidating a personal firearms collection

Also relevant, but somehow I couldn't find any references in the linked document (just an oversight I'm sure):

2ndAmendment.jpg

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    How . . . how does one enforce that?
    The whole thing looks like a big waste of money and largely unenforceable to me. They still have to prove a violation of 18 USC sec. 922(a)(1)(A). To the extent the new rule restates the case law it's a waste. To the extent they are trying to "force" a court to use its definition of "engaging in business" which makes things illegal that court previously found not violation...good luck. This isn't like a new law with brand new regulations. This is a 56 year old law with plenty of case law telling us what "engaging in business" is and is not.

But hey "we closed the gun show loophole" gets into the news for idiots to consume (including, apparently, "The Indiana Lawyer").

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The whole thing looks like a big waste of money and largely unenforceable to me. They still have to prove a violation of 18 USC sec. 922(a)(1)(A). To the extent the new rule restates the case law it's a waste. To the extent they are trying to "force" a court to use its definition of "engaging in business" which makes things illegal that court previously found not violation...good luck. This isn't like a new law with brand new regulations. This is a 56 year old law with plenty of case law telling us what "engaging in business" is and is not.

But hey "we closed the gun show loophole" gets into the news for idiots to consume (including, apparently, "The Indiana Lawyer").
    Yes, I get all my gun legal news from the Chamber of Commerce/White Shoes in Indianapolis that is the audience for the Indiana Lawyer, aka "Carmel meets Westfield and approve of each other, but no one else", giving awards to each other.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I have a gun or two in my safe that have been there for more than 20 years.
    By this law, if I can't make a profit, I have to sell them at 20 year old prices?
    :poop:
    Intent? If you are just selling at market value, is it your intent to make a profit?

I would think that a sale would be similar to silver / gold sales between people. If just selling to a friend at market value and just so happens the market value is higher than what you paid, well, good for you. Now if you wish to add something like $2.00 over spot, well, that IMO is an intentional profit.

If you are adding value over and above the market value, well, that is indeed selling for a profit. If not adding a dollar, then it’s just a sale at fair market value.

If you buy at wholesale and sell at retail….well, 4473 is a must.

Dats how I see it.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Intent? If you are just selling at market value, is it your intent to make a profit?

I would think that a sale would be similar to silver / gold sales between people. If just selling to a friend at market value and just so happens the market value is higher than what you paid, well, good for you. Now if you wish to add something like $2.00 over spot, well, that IMO is an intentional profit.

If you are adding value over and above the market value, well, that is indeed selling for a profit. If not adding a dollar, then it’s just a sale at fair market value.

If you buy at wholesale and sell at retail….well, 4473 is a must.

Dats how I see it.
    I'm just playing devils advocate.
    I just don't trust the federal government to do what they say.

Top Bottom