Gun show parking lot sales or am I nuts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Anybody remember the story of people being jacked up for buying and selling in parking lot of gun shows? Not prohibited people, but regular Joes. Seem to remember an American Rifleman warning several years ago. Or was it an episode of Twilight Zone? Not Reno Nevada. Was an ATF sting of some sort. Was not dealers selling off paper. Had to do with an FFLs legal place of business. Sorry to other poster for hijack. Sent him a PM.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Vague

I vaguely remember something like that a while back but I don't think it was in Indiana. Seems like it was ATF and some local PD. Followed people home and arrested them over private sales at a gunshow, IIRC.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Anybody remember the story of people being jacked up for buying and selling in parking lot of gun shows? Not prohibited people, but regular Joes. Seem to remember an American Rifleman warning several years ago. Or was it an episode of Twilight Zone? Not Reno Nevada. Was an ATF sting of some sort. Was not dealers selling off paper. Had to do with an FFLs legal place of business. Sorry to other poster for hijack. Sent him a PM.

If they were not dealers selling the guns, I don't see an issue. Private person to person sales are legal. If they were illegal, don't you think they would of shut down the classified section of INGO and sites like armslist? There has to be more to the story. Maybe there was a state law being broken where this was happening. Somewhere like the Republic of Kalifornia or Illinois.

snowman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Bremen, IN
    I think it is illegal to buy and sell guns with intent for a profit. For example you see a sweet deal on a form board and buy it. You then take it to a gun show and sell it for good profit. You do this multiple times to show a pattern of "dealing", then you can be in some trouble.

threedhuntr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Howard county

Is this the one you're talking about?

A gun show “sting” finds firearms sellers willing to sell to illegal buyers | Texas on the Potomac | a Chron.com blog

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    There's the problem. You can NOT sell a firearm to a person you know is not allowed to purchase/own one, dealer or private sales. This would be why some members ask to see a LTCH before they go through with a private sale.

That's true. But looking at a LTCH won't necessarily tell you that for sure. If a guy's LTCH was revoked and he made copies of it you'd never know.

The last guy I did a trade with had me sign a form stating that my right to keep and bear arms had not been legally restricted in any way. I don't remember the exact words, but that was pretty much what it said. He was a dealer, but it was a private transaction. He told me he ran that by the ATF when they asked him about a bunch of cheap guns that he bought for his own collection, and the agent told him that was the best form of that type he'd ever seen, because it was short, to the point, and all encompassing.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I don't usually have a problem with making a private deal with someone that does'nt have an LTCH. All I usually will ask for is a DL to make sure they are atleast 18 and an Indiana resident. When I post a classified ad I will usually state in the terms that the buyer MUST be an Indiana resident and legally able to purchase and own a firearm. If they give me any indication that they are not a proper person then it's a no-go.

Top Bottom