• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    A lot of demographic groups own and buy weaponry. The SALES are easy to track, but the “just missed” sales that went on down the road because “JoeBob” the dealer was railing on about some sensitive topic… well, those are hard to know, because they just wander on by.

And there will surely be customers that canNOT not bring up some of those topics. (I swear, it’s a ****ing addiction) Agree or disagree, ya gotta shrug off long speaking engagements, and keep your eye on the prize: selling guns.

Only guy I bounced from my tables was an Aspie who wanted to know if me signalling the number "3" the German manner was a gang sign and then went on a racist diatribe. I knew he was "not right" but not going to have that talk in earshot of me.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Remember, it appears to be okay for 3 or 4 gentlemen to look over your wares, ask questions, etc. Then have one of the females standing chatting with the other one in the background to come up and buy the guns the fellas chose.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Don’t to forget to be tolerant. Many will grab and pick up your wares without asking. May even work your actions and such without even acknowledging you. Yes, I know it is hard to believe there could be ill raised people but if you look hard enough you will see a few….or many. Some dealers don’t mind especially the ones who need to turn a profit but they are called gun shows instead of gun sales and not everyone is eager to let the misfits grab and grunt.

1gunaholic

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 10, 2021
    Central Indiana
    I have considered doing this myself, gave up my ffl years ago due to paper work etc. Have been considering opening up a shop and still considering it, Good luck with your venture sir.
    Ditto. I had my FFL for 6 years, mainly for private sales and the ability to get parts for some of the weapons I restored. I ran it out of a house with the blessing of the planning dept as I told them it was a "home based business." FFL hesitated until I showed them my workshop, so signage anywhere, and a HUGE safe for any firearms. Unfortunately, the word got out to a lot of law enforcement who took advantage of my kindness (one in particular ordered FIFTY lower receivers, an agency bought 80 Glocks through Kieslers - but wanted me to handle all the officers' purchases of their trade-ins). Paperwork was a nightmare. If I start up again, I'll keep it totally on the QT.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think you need to find a way to run a couple of stealth cameras. It'd be great security, a good business tool to recover missed opportunities, on top of recording some really bazaar stuff.

I'm tuning in for the show.

Best of luck with this venture!

I remember phylodog selling his wares at the 1500, in the early INGO days. He won't have any problem interacting with folks. The tips from Nate were pretty solid stuff though.

Last edited:

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Valpo is generally better than Crown Point
    I haven't been to Valpo in a long time, so I'm not sure how it is from a customer perspective. However, when the new management of Valpo decided to book over Crown Point, more dealers went to Crown Point. The Crown Point show was sold out and still had a waiting list and customers told me that Valpo was the smallest they had ever seen that weekend. Valpo has also alienated a few dealers permanently due to management issues.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Give me a call bud. I'll give you my 2 cents, BUT you might not like what you hear.

I've been as far west as Portland Oregon, east as Philadelphia Pennsylvania, south as far as Texas, north as far as Minnesota (even flew out to scout a show in Anchorage Alaska, but decided to cut it). I've done shows that have 120k people in attendance, I've done shows that have 1k people in attendance.

Last edited:

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    As a customer, after the last 1500 gun show, I'll never go to another.
    Prices to park and admission to the show just isn't worth it.
    And the show itself was somehow a disappointment.

Top Bottom