• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChrisBarnes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Greenfield/Cumberland area
    Been tossing around the idea of some gunsmith training. I have searched the internet till I was blue in the face. Looks like here in Indiana I am SOL for a gunsmith class or course. I have seen that most manufactures offer "Armorer" classes and that is a great start I think. I am just wondering what you all think about these online courses. I noticed in this months edition of American Rifleman that Penn Foster offers a online class. Do you think I will get any knowledge from this? Just some thoughts from you all would be GREAT!

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Depends on one's definition of "gunsmith." An armorer is NOT a gunsmith.

I would NOT recommend online classes. Learning how to machine in a book is quite a bit different than hands on.

Gunsmithing is becoming more of an art these days. A true gunsmith is sort of a cross between machinist, chemist, engineer, woodworker, artist, and also be knowledgeable in ballistics. A lot of the chemistry and ballistics can be learned via book, online, etc. but the rest a hands on intensive level of training is HIGHLY recommended if you expect to be any good/credible.

Often you can find machine shops in your area and offer a little free labor in exchange for training and hands on experience. That would be the easiest without affecting employment and other obligations.

ChrisBarnes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Yeah I understand that a "True Gunsmith" repairs and refinishes weapons. I agree with you about being machinist, Welder, Engineer, and what not. I was looking at IveTech for those classes on that aspect. Yes as you stated an "Armorer" is the person who upgrades and plays with the weapons. I am just thinking in the near future with what is already happening I think both these fields will be in HIGH demand. With no new weapons avail. someone will need to repair and restore the current stock.

So as I asked I do not think after taking the online course I will be the Best ever and ready to make my fortune, but do you think I would get "Anything" from it. I have GI money left I can blow on anything.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Yeah I understand that a "True Gunsmith" repairs and refinishes weapons. I agree with you about being machinist, Welder, Engineer, and what not. I was looking at IveTech for those classes on that aspect. Yes as you stated an "Armorer" is the person who upgrades and plays with the weapons. I am just thinking in the near future with what is already happening I think both these fields will be in HIGH demand. With no new weapons avail. someone will need to repair and restore the current stock.

So as I asked I do not think after taking the online course I will be the Best ever and ready to make my fortune, but do you think I would get "Anything" from it. I have GI money left I can blow on anything.

In that case I think you will get the most out of some machining classes at Ivy Tech or something and perhaps some armorer courses that are available. Hands on is always better than online in skilled types of education. If you have some remaining book money left go get your hands on some good quality and in depth ballistics books.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The absolute best way to learn honest and true gunsmithing would be to hook up with a bonafide gunsmith and work out an apprenticeship-type arrangement.

Learn from them.

-J-

ChrisBarnes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Jackson I have heard about it but will be hard to attend with the distance and me being the bread winner for my family. And Indy Guy I agree to hook up with a gunsmith and be an apprentice I was just kinda hoping to get some info or knowledge so I was not a "Greenhorn" when I asked to apprentice.

I am waiting on info from IvyTech for Industrial Tech program that teaches basic machinist skills and welding as well.

Now if anyone is a bonafide Gunsmith/Armor in the Indianapolis area and owns/works in a shop that would accept an apprentice please private message me.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Aouple of years ago I looked at Gunsmithing schools but it seemed that what they offered was lessons on how to do specific tasks, i.e. how to improve reliability on a 1911a1 or how do improve accuracy on a 10-22. I would expect a lot more on general arms knowledge and even some theory not just how toos

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Not wanting to sound discouraging because I have been pursuing this myself for a few years now and I really enjoy doing the little bit I do.
    For me though the skills are half the battle. Unless you only work on one kind of gun there is no limit to what can be spent on tools.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Aouple of years ago I looked at Gunsmithing schools but it seemed that what they offered was lessons on how to do specific tasks, i.e. how to improve reliability on a 1911a1 or how do improve accuracy on a 10-22. I would expect a lot more on general arms knowledge and even some theory not just how toos
    THIS

I spent some time looking into them too. After that I realized that because of my mechanical background I really wouldn't have gotten much from the available programs. It would be better to work for a gunsmith, but that's me. Without even machining experience I would start there and as Allen pointed out start getting necessary tools together. Even get "junk" guns to start working/practicing on that won't break your bank account. Sometimes the best learning is achieved simply by DOING.

ChrisBarnes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    You are all wonderful please keep the info coming. As for my background I was a Automotive Mechanic for the last 15 years after I got out of the Navy. There I was a aviation electronics technician. I have always owned and loved Guns and my Second Amendment Rights. I have fought for them and gave my time for my country. I agree with all you are saying. First off I am not looking to be a Millionaire or the next reality TV star out of this. Yes I am a "Prepper" not to some of the insanity as those on the TV or on here that I read. With this said I FEAR without a doubt that in the coming 4 years we will be struck down by this Administration that we on this site have fought against.

With this said I know in the future when we are not allowed to purchase new guns because of some new NATO treaty that none of us want there will be a need for someone to repair and refurbish the weapons we have. I just want to be able to repair what I own and to help those I know and love for the same.

Please keep the info coming it is all helpful!!!

Top Bottom