• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I did a search and didn't find anything, so I am asking. I like to buy quality hand tools for my shop and I am in need of a screwdriver set just for guns. Any opinions on good ones it seems like Wheeler and Weaver are both big names, but I think they are both made overseas. The Chapman one's look good, but not completely sure. If anyone has an opinion I would appreciate hearing it.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I did a search and didn't find anything, so I am asking. I like to buy quality hand tools for my shop and I am in need of a screwdriver set just for guns. Any opinions on good ones it seems like Wheeler and Weaver are both big names, but I think they are both made overseas. The Chapman one's look good, but not completely sure. If anyone has an opinion I would appreciate hearing it.

I have a Wheeler set and broke on of the tips on the small flat tip inserts. I was thinking they would be built better, even though I was cranking on it a little.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I use Brownells Magna-Tip bits with various handles for work at home ... this is an easy set to start small and add onto as your needs grow. In my range bag I have a Weaver soft sided screwdriver set (part no. 849716).

So far, no trouble with any of the bits from either manufacturer breaking or twisting. Brownells has a fabulous return policy if you ever do need to replace anything. Not sure what Weaver's stance is on twisted or broken bits.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I've used various Chapman sets both at home and work for over 30 years without any problems. With the ratchet handle, they are my go to tool for stuck or striped screws before resorting to a drill or Drermel tool.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    I like my Forster set, but they're only flat-head, no clue what to tell you for other types.

Gunsmithing Screwdrivers Archives - Forster Products

This! Bought these years ago and still going strong. Do you need every Phillips, hex and torque bit? Maybe, if you are working on guns of various types every day. A good set of hex keys both metric and standard (long ones) and forster set covers much of it. Although I'll admit the Wheeler set is impressive.

Last edited:

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I went to Brownells because they have been doing gun tools for longer than anyone I know of. I have been buying tools from them 1970. I have no complaints.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Grace used to make some nice drivers but you need to look at their current line before you buy. The last 3 sets I used had tips ground completely un-parallel to each other. They were worthless. I think they've shifted production to Taiwan. The older ones were much better quality.

drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    Grace used to make some nice drivers but you need to look at their current line before you buy. The last 3 sets I used had tips ground completely un-parallel to each other. They were worthless. I think they've shifted production to Taiwan. The older ones were much better quality.

My screwdrivers and punches say made in the USA, and their site says the same thing. If you know something different as fact please share.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    Brownells is my choice. Magna tip, the short handle set. Lifetime guarantee no questions asked. I fretted over spending the extra money but decided to invest in them. Glad I did. And they are endorsed by Churchmouse. Nuff said.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The set I bought must have been ground by "the new guy". Given a choice between the Grace drivers or a Chapman basic set - I would buy the Chapman set.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom