• The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Don't let them get you down brother!

Don't let the snobs get you down.
    You don't have to explain yourself to these people. You just have to protect your self and your people. You need tools that will help you do that, not tools that will impress strangers on the internet.

+ Most of the gun snobbery on INGO is just good old fashioned ball busting...nothing meant by it.

Bust your ass, provide for your family and master the tools you have.

Haters, well, they're going to hate.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I love my hi-point 45, but I would not carry it. It was my first handgun, it always goes bang, and hits what I aim at. However, like I said, I would not trust my life to it. The safety on it sucks (I would use it if carrying), it is way to bulky to tote around, it's balance sucks, and if you take it apart you would see the mechanisms are not life saving trustworthy.

My most expensive handgun is a LE trade-in glock 22 I got for $350. This isn't the best time to get deal on guns though. I say sit on it for awhile and save until better prices can be had. At that point, you should be able to get a nice used step up from the hi-point.

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    Buying guns on a budget

I am by no means a gun snob, but I do try to carry weapons from reputable manufacturers. I often accomplish this by looking for deals on armslist and the trading post here on INGO, in addition to used gun cabinets at certain gun stores. Of all the guns I own, only 1 was bought new. Keep a weather eye out, and you can find some decent quality. As some others have reccomended, Ruger p series are probably your best bet for inexpensive, high quality firearms that are fairly easily available.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I could double your time on the earth, subtract it from mine, and still be in kindergarten. We all (most) started out with little cash. We covered the bases and slowly grew in resources. You need a car to get from home to work? You buy the most reliable one you can afford. You need a firearm for self and family defense? You buy the most reliable one you can afford.

In terms of opinion, both extremes are frustrating: those that say you can only get from home to work in a Mercedes and those that say that a 1985 Yugo is "just as good as the Mercedes." There is a world of difference between the two but both can reliably (hopefully) get you to work. You don't have to save for 100 years of minimum wage for a Mercedes but it equally misleading to advise another newb by saying that a Yugo is "just as good" as a reliable, proven middle-of-the-road Honda Accord.

You don't *need* a $3,000 Nighthawk Custom to be at the minimum of self-defense but the flipside is I would never suggest that collecting - er - accumulating - a dozen bargain-basement Saturday Night Specials and railing on "gun snobs" is appropriate either.

A single decent Honda is probably a better bet than a Mercedes you can't afford or a half-dozen suspect Yugos.

Minimum-Standard-Of-Performance + Budget = Product Choice

Ultimately, if you understand the limits and potential of your tool, the art is in the practitioner's skill, not the instrument. A jug-band in Beethoven's hand will make sweeter music that a Stradivarius in a 5 year old's.

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    snobs

Hello INGOers.I have to rant about something because it is starting to bug me.First,I'll give some background on myself for those of you who don't visit my profile and maybe you can then understand where I'm coming from.

I am nineteen years old with a wife and infant son.I work nights as a custodian for $10.78 per hour and no benefits.I have two car payments per month along with various other bills.We literally live from paycheck to paycheck sometimes.My very first firearm that i could call "mine" was acquired at age eighteen and was a Cobra .32 semi auto.I had to save up for almost two months to get the $125 for my lifetime LTCH.

Now for the rant...

I am getting tired of reading posts from people being gun snobs.It seems like every time I jump on INGO,I run across a post saying that (insert name of any "affordable" firearm)s are junk.It used to make me feel inferior,now it just makes me angry because people such as myself are getting advice that they have to pay high prices for any good guns.Am I wrong for loving my Kel Tec,DPMS,Maverick,or my Remington?These guns were what I could come by and they all go bang every time that I pull the trigger.I'm now looking for an affordable .45 for carry and my best option,money wise,looks to be a Hi Point due to my financial situation.I have heard stories of Hi Points,Kel Tecs, and other lower-priced guns being junk.I have had great experiences with these "undesireable" guns.I've also heard horror stories about the almighty Glock but I still wouldn't mind having one.My own belief is this:a Hi Point in hand is better than a Kimber on the "SAVE FOR" list.Why do people have to talk so much crap about good guns just because they don't set you back $1000 when you get one?

Bring on the gun snobs...I wouldn't mind some friendly discussion either.

I used to shoot IDPA with a urologist whose practice is in GrantCounty, Heck of a nice guy, Heck of a nice income. He shoots a Wilson 9mm and a Night Hawk 45. Probably $2 to $3000 worth of guns, but they didn't shoot any better than my XD9, bought used for $375. In fact after shooting the Corvettes of the fire arm world I find a lot of the sub $500 pistols are just as accurate and will run just as far. Don't let these "Jerks" and there are many on this forum get under your skin. Including myself, sometimes....I think I have at least 4 or 5 warnings, but who cares. Most of the time my questions go un........ same with my comments unless I intentionally **** someone off. Then the Clique really jumps in.

Last edited:

billyramair

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Columbus area
    I think whatever a person can afford is a good gun. A person that knows how to shoot properly, can use a cheap gun, and outshoot a person that doesn't know what they are doing, with an expensive gun. I'm not saying don't buy more expensive good guns.

ironman870

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    NE
    Me being a kid myself, you have to start somewhere. With a first car, job, guns, education, etc. You seem to be off on the right foot.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    Ruffnek, I was where you are forty some years ago. I'm now in my 60's, raised 6 kids and have 11 grand kids so I can relate to your financial situation. Be patient, get what you can afford and do the best you can with what you've got. My EDC is an old Norinco 1911 I think I gave $175 for about 20 years ago and I have a Kimber Pro Carry II that sits in the safe. I just like that old Norinco better.

You don't need to impress anyone, take care of the family first and buy whatever firearms suit your fancy and budget as you can. Life's short, take time to enjoy the simple things.

tk71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    ECI
    Nothing wrong with a cheap gun I have a little taurus pt 22 I bought in 94 for $150 that is still a great gun.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Hello INGOers.I have to rant about something because it is starting to bug me.First,I'll give some background on myself for those of you who don't visit my profile and maybe you can then understand where I'm coming from.

I am nineteen years old with a wife and infant son.I work nights as a custodian for $10.78 per hour and no benefits.I have two car payments per month along with various other bills.We literally live from paycheck to paycheck sometimes.My very first firearm that i could call "mine" was acquired at age eighteen and was a Cobra .32 semi auto.I had to save up for almost two months to get the $125 for my lifetime LTCH.

Now for the rant...

I am getting tired of reading posts from people being gun snobs.It seems like every time I jump on INGO,I run across a post saying that (insert name of any "affordable" firearm)s are junk.It used to make me feel inferior,now it just makes me angry because people such as myself are getting advice that they have to pay high prices for any good guns.Am I wrong for loving my Kel Tec,DPMS,Maverick,or my Remington?These guns were what I could come by and they all go bang every time that I pull the trigger.I'm now looking for an affordable .45 for carry and my best option,money wise,looks to be a Hi Point due to my financial situation.I have heard stories of Hi Points,Kel Tecs, and other lower-priced guns being junk.I have had great experiences with these "undesireable" guns.I've also heard horror stories about the almighty Glock but I still wouldn't mind having one.My own belief is this:a Hi Point in hand is better than a Kimber on the "SAVE FOR" list.Why do people have to talk so much crap about good guns just because they don't set you back $1000 when you get one?

Bring on the gun snobs...I wouldn't mind some friendly discussion either.

Please don't blame the folks here. It's like arguing the "value" of a Kia vs. a BMW. Both are cars, both get you around, but a BMW owner would consider the Kia junk.

How can firearms be any different?

But who are the REAL snobs? How about the liberal-leftists who say "let's just TAX guns or ammo, that will make then unaffordable."

That's "snobbery" of the first-degree. First of all, that will NOT end or even reduce violent or even gun-related violence. Criminals will do what they always do when they want something. They will STEAL IT! But this will make the ability to exercise their 2A guaranteed rights available ONLY to those wealthy enough to afford the "luxury."

That is TRUE SNOBBERY!

Hey, I'm glad to know you're here, are being a responsible gun owner, and that .32 Cobra is a real firearm. I encourage you to practice and be proficient in its use. If the time ever comes when you need it to protect yourself, you want to make you know how to use it effectively.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Dude, you're only 19. Everyone went through what you are going through at that age, family, finances, etc.. Like you, I started off buying what my budget could handle, which wasn't much. Before you know it you'll be middle aged, the kids will be grown up and on their own and you'll be set financially. Then, you will become one of those gun snobs you detest so much. :)

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I personally don't care what brand I have as long as it meets my needs. I have a Glock, Stag, Mossberg 500, Marlin mod 60, Marlin .410, Ithaca .20 ga lever break, and a Ruger Super Blackhawk. All different classes but all serve a purpose for me. To keep it simple I use every gun I have multiple times a year.

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    Wow guys,thanks for the encouragement.Like I said,I love what I have and all of them do the job they're meant to do.It's nice to know that not everyone in the gun world is so stuck up.
    When I turned 21 I bought my Beretta 92fs and have carried it ever since. Just go with what YOU like or can afford...

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    What an awesome thread. I would say that I think most people here don't care if you own, if you carry or what you own or carry so much as you be a contributing member of the community. Provide thought provoking topics, insight, general information and/or offer aid to those in need.

Now that being said I don't think anyone should take it personally when someone says something negative about a Highpoint, Bersa, Keltec or other "cheaper" manufactured firearms. It's not meant as a slight on you, it's meant as an honest comparison of the company and their products. I won't offer cuddly warm tingly bunny rabbit statements about starting where you did or how you'll someday make enough to get a Wilson Combat 1911. The honest truth is that there are some really good cheaper firearms out there. If it took you 2 months to save up for your LTCH then it should theoretically take you 8 to save up for a NIB G19 if that was what you wanted, or a little over a year for a NIB 1200usd 1911. You won't find many that would argue that a G19 is solid, effective, and reliable. Only the 1911 fanbois or the trolls (like me) would come out to bash it and mostly in good fun, not for any real or accountable reason.

I think it's most important to understand that BY AND LARGE you get what you pay for in the firearm industry. This is the driving force behind the perceived "snobbery". Now, there are definitely snobs out there, but most of them don't make the kind of comments you're talking about, they typically just sit back and go, hmm, yeah...that's nice....good thing I have a platinum 1911 hand made by Browning himself, yawn..... Then posts "Nice, enjoy shooting it." and moves on to the next thread. :twocents:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    With many of us it is a comfort zone. We have been playing with gun ownership (not literally playing but you get the point) for so long we have forgotten how hard our 1st few gun purchases were to make. For me that was almost 50 years ago. A lot changes with time.
    Thanks for reminding me of my oh so humble beginnings.

Tandor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    Chesterton
    You know most of "us" are middle class but didn't start out that way. I got out of the service in '90, been married 1 year and had a kid on the way..Money was tight! I work 3 jobs, Stock clerk, taxi driver and volunteer firefighter. Plus i was going to school for a EMT cert. I'm not here to blow my own horn but my point is starting out is hard. I had to save for a year & a half to buy my first handgun. Tarus 92. Not the best 9mm. I've got a great job now but have 2 kids in college and a pretty good collection of firearms. It takes time and effort. Hang in there, life gets better and don't spend your energy worrying about what other say, do your own thing....

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Back in the mid 70s when I started my family I was also trying to get my business off the ground. Money was tighter than tight. I'd work the business by day and cut firewood in the evenings to sell to help out. The only gun I had was Dad's Mossberg 142 (great gun BTW). Time passed, the business got better and along the way the guns got better. I fell in love with muzzleloading but being broke the only way I could have one was to build one. That led to 60+ guns later and I am rather good at it. If there is a bad thing about guns (I don't think it's bad at all ) you tend to go from collecting one thing to another . I have a vault full of flintlock guns, and now am collecting WW2 era bolt guns. Well that leads to semi auto military guns etc etc.
    At one time or another most of us were where you are now. Don't feel bad or mad about it, embrace it.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Way to many folks equate the cost of an item as the only measure of quality. Value is never taken into the picture. This is with many things in life, if its not a ------costing $---.-- it can,t be any good.

Remember the equipment our military uses is all built by the lowest bidder.

Sorta ironic!

Top Bottom