• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Personally I think HiPoints are ugly but you can't find a better warranty. I sent back a C9 that had a worn slide and cracked frame and got back an essentially new gun with an extra mag. There is a youtube video where they tried to blow one up but had to resort to hammering a bolt into the end of the barrel and load it with 11 grains of Bullseye.

Bersa's are not expensive but really good firearms.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I remember when I was 19. I was married, kid on the way, and the only guns I owned were ones that I have had since I was a young kid, still living at home with dad. I had to save up just to buy a Ka-Bar in the PX back then.
    My dad has told me stories back when he was that age, his carry gun(s) of choice then were a .32 cap and ball revolver and a .45 percussion derringer. They were what he could afford, and that was that.

We all start somewhere, and with a little hard work, and as time allows, we upgrade things as life allows. If we all started out with a corvette and a Harley in our 3 car garage 1/2 million dollar homes, we wouldn't have any incentive to work for anything.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    a Hi Point in hand is better than a Kimber on the "SAVE FOR" list

Normally, I would agree with you. But you already have a gun. Therefore, saving 6 - 8 months longer shouldn't be an issue. Or even check out some defensive pistol classes. Good training classes are worth more in the long run than another gun. :twocents:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The first gun i could afford was when I was 8. I paid $5 for an old Winchester 67 that was all beat up. But it shot true. My first handgun was when I was 21....it was a Ruger Mark l. I still have it to this day.

Don't let the opinions of others govern your life. Life is too short to live that way. :)

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I've been thinking about picking up the cheapest Hi-Point I could find and taking it to a class or a competition and running the crap out of it, just to see how it would do. Where's the cheapest place to get a Hi-Point in 9x19mm and 5 magazines? How much would I have to spend?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I've been thinking about picking up the cheapest Hi-Point I could find and taking it to a class or a competition and running the crap out of it, just to see how it would do. Where's the cheapest place to get a Hi-Point in 9x19mm and 5 magazines? How much would I have to spend?

I would say a gun show or maybe gunbroker/armslist?

This would make an interesting review. I think the guns themselves are uncomfortable and ugly, but they seem to have a great warranty and most people I know that have them never have problems with them.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Someone is always going to have a better gun than you.

You buy a M&P. Someone else will have a better gun, a Glock.
    You buy a 1911, someone else will have a better gun, a Glock.
    You buy an AK, someone else will have a better gun, an AR.
    You buy an AR, someone else will have a better gun, either a Colt, DD, or BCM.

It's a never ending thing. Just be proud of what you have, and make it your goal to be the best marksman that you can be with your own collection.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    ME: I am Snob. Snob-I-am.

OP: That Snob-I-am! That Snob-I-am! I do not like that Snob-I-am!

ME: Do you like cheap guns that jam?

OP: Yes, I do like them, Snob-I-am. Yes, I do like cheap guns that jam.

ME: Would you shoot them in your house? Would you shoot them at a louse?

OP: I would shoot them in my house. I would shoot them at a louse. I would shoot them here or there. I would them shoot them anywhere. I would shoot cheap guns that jam. I sure do like them, Snob-I-am.

Last edited:

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    Hello INGOers.I have to rant about something because it is starting to bug me.First,I'll give some background on myself for those of you who don't visit my profile and maybe you can then understand where I'm coming from.

I am nineteen years old with a wife and infant son.I work nights as a custodian for $10.78 per hour and no benefits.I have two car payments per month along with various other bills.We literally live from paycheck to paycheck sometimes.My very first firearm that i could call "mine" was acquired at age eighteen and was a Cobra .32 semi auto.I had to save up for almost two months to get the $125 for my lifetime LTCH.

Now for the rant...

I am getting tired of reading posts from people being gun snobs.It seems like every time I jump on INGO,I run across a post saying that (insert name of any "affordable" firearm)s are junk.It used to make me feel inferior,now it just makes me angry because people such as myself are getting advice that they have to pay high prices for any good guns.Am I wrong for loving my Kel Tec,DPMS,Maverick,or my Remington?These guns were what I could come by and they all go bang every time that I pull the trigger.I'm now looking for an affordable .45 for carry and my best option,money wise,looks to be a Hi Point due to my financial situation.I have heard stories of Hi Points,Kel Tecs, and other lower-priced guns being junk.I have had great experiences with these "undesireable" guns.I've also heard horror stories about the almighty Glock but I still wouldn't mind having one.My own belief is this:a Hi Point in hand is better than a Kimber on the "SAVE FOR" list.Why do people have to talk so much crap about good guns just because they don't set you back $1000 when you get one?

Bring on the gun snobs...I wouldn't mind some friendly discussion either.

Why do you care what others think about your guns? What matters is what you think of them and how they perform for you. FWIW, when it comes to optics, the snobbery you describe is even more magnified (pun intended) on that topic. My standard reply to those who exhibit such attitudes is; "That might have hurt, IF I valued your opinion." and 99.99% of the time, that response leaves them speechless.

DIRTROAD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I remember the first gun i bought and i did not have much money and i was just as proud of that gun as i am of the last one i bought, so be proud of what ever you own

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I can relate. I remember back in the day when I was living ramen to ramen. I saved up for what seems like forever just to get a Bersa 380 Thunder. Turns out to be a great shooter and well worth the cost. I then had to save up all over again just to get the 4 Year LTCH. I also remember squeaking by with 1 box of ammo for it shooting 1/2 the box just to have some for SD reasons. Boutique proper SD ammo was out of the question, I'm talking the 10$ FMJ remington stuff from Meijer at that time.

My "Gun Snobbery" Ends at a reliable, functional Firearm. I don't care about the cost. I do think that while the hipoint is affordable, the price difference isn't too far (Maybe an extra bit of saving) from the Bersa 380 thunder, which is an awesome little firearm (non plastic)

Blind Squirrel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    In a van, down by the river
    I see this conversation reflected in most “hobbies” we guys get involved in. It’s never enough to enjoy an activity, at some point it comes down to style, brand, price, age, perceived cool factor………………………………it goes on and on with the “stuff” that goes along with the “hobby”.
    Think about the guys you play golf with, play softball with, fish with, hunt with, and do a million other things with. There are always the guys that have to look down their nose at the guy that has what’s perceived as an inferior whatever.
    My suggestion is that at 19, it’s already time to grow a thicker skin and ignore a good portion of the chatter. Respect everyone’s opinion and realize the old saying, “Like *******s, everyone has an opinion”.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    ME: I am Snob. Snob-I-am.

OP: That Snob-I-am! That Snob-I-am! I do not like that Snob-I-am!

ME: Do you like cheap guns that jam?

OP: Yes, I do like them, Snob-I-am. Yes, I do like cheap guns that jam.

ME: Would you shoot them in your house? Would you shoot them at a louse?

OP: I would shoot them in my house. I would shoot them at a louse. I would shoot them here or there. I would them shoot them anywhere. I would shoot my cheap guns that jam. I sure do like them, Snob-I-am.

Sheer Brilliance!!!! +1

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    The word "proud" is being thrown around in this thread a fair bit. Its a gun. A tool. A means to an end. Why do we need to be proud of it? If it accomplishes the desired task, what does it matter? I don't typically feel pride over my posessions, but maybe over my accomplishments and skills.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    You don't need to spend a fortune to protect your family. $300 or less will get you a good pump 12ga shotgun. You can get an LCR or LC9 for around $400. Maybe even a cheap .380 for ~$300.

Better carry options and nicer guns can come later.

If you're buying a hi-point to carry I fear you won't find yourself carrying it much do to it's unwieldy dimensions and weight.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    People do that arrogant attitude witheverything. Like you often see a chevy truck with a "Ford's suck" sticker on the back window. Some harley riders will not acknowledge another brand of bike. Even music tastes can be hotly contested.

Enjoy what you have and get GOOD with them. I have seen snobby people buy the latest and greatest gun that has all kinds of bragging rights and not be able to hit dirt if they pointed it at the ground. Make your practice disciplined, and max out your skills. Look at that crappy old worn out guitar that Willie Nelson plays. When was the last time you heard of a guy with a custom shop Martin making fun of him?

For example, poly frame pistols do not excite me. That doesn't mean I have never owned them, (I have) that doesn't mean I can't shoot them, (I have placed in some action pistol matches with poly frame pistols).

I also do not give anyone who likes polyframe pistols any grief. Some people really like them. Some people really shoot them well. Some people will not buy anything else. I am happy for them. This is still America! we can still have what we like.

If your stuff is old, worn, lower price or out of style, so what?. Build your skill set, make your hits count and let your targets do the bragging.

Good Luck.

PS, I just came from a Motorcycle forum. There is an argument going on there with the synthetic oil snobs vs. the conventional oil crowd, and they all ride the same kind of motorcycle. People are getting pretty grouchy, Everyone must be getting cabin fever.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom