• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwhamilton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    lucky find man. glad it worked out well.

i would be tearing the house apart trying to find it, as im sure you did.

teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    Glad you found your gun. In a drawer with a coloring book? That does sound kind of like one of the youngins. I remember once my little sister who was 3 or 4 at the time made her way all the way to the top of the refrigerator and into a bottle of childrens aspirin with the childproof cap. You would be surprised where a 4 year old can make it to. Glad evereything turned out well with no one hurt.

Well, I did ask my 4 year old.
    She matter-of-factly said Mr Green did that.
    (Mr Green is the name of one of the cats).
    I knew that dang cat wasn't up to any good.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Well, I did ask my 4 year old.
    She matter-of-factly said Mr Green did that.
    (Mr Green is the name of one of the cats).
    I knew that dang cat wasn't up to any good.

cats_are_sneaky_mousepad-p144291427908957967td22_210.jpg

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Glad it was found regardless of how it got there.

Don't forget to call the County and let them know it was found. Hate to see you get in trouble for possessing a reported stolen fire arm.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Glad you found it. Your 4 year old blaming the cat has me a bit concerned though. My kids usually blamed one of the pets when they did crap. I think you have to work under the assumption that your 4 year old may have been in possession of your loaded handgun and make sure it never happens again. Even if it was the cat this time, it sounds like she had the opportunity to play with it.

teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    Glad you found it. Your 4 year old blaming the cat has me a bit concerned though. My kids usually blamed one of the pets when they did crap. I think you have to work under the assumption that your 4 year old may have been in possession of your loaded handgun and make sure it never happens again. Even if it was the cat this time, it sounds like she had the opportunity to play with it.
    Ever since the 4 year old could scoot around the house, things would get 'rearranged'. Usually items off the table would get stuffed into cubbies or low cabinets that were within reach.
    It was like attempts to help cleanup without actually putting things where they go.
    I am not worried about the gun being a hazard to the youngster (no loaded gun in this house is a naked gun).
    The pistol is ALWAYS buried up to the handle in the IWB holster and the 4 year old cannot remove it. (not as strong as my Ruger in my Fobus, which can be a real bear at times for an adult to even get out).
    Only time they get out is to clean or shoot.
    I also have a trigger lock, but that is not a good idea for a home defense gun to have a trigger lock.
    The real answer here is for using teachable moments like these to be used to further proper firearm awareness and use with everyone in family.
    Guns are NOT bad. If I would have overreacted or flipped my lid at someone touching a gun, that would send the wrong message.
    I don't want my kids thinking guns are evil no more than a pair of scissors are evil (just boundaries on how/when interaction is proper).
    Or i could just move to Illinois where they know the evils of firearms and your first line of defense is to vomit on your attacker.:puke:

TripleL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    The Rockies
    Glad you found it. Kids do the darnedest things if in fact "Mr. Green" did it. Kids grow fast, though, and they absorb everything like sponges. Before you know it, they're strong enough to help Dad or Mom with a hard-to-open jar of jelly. OK, maybe not that strong but strong enough to pull a trigger.

Didn't hear or see anything (which you cannot hear someone even banging on the door when you are at other end of the house).

Sounds like it's a big house. That gun won't do any good if it's in one end of the house and your wife is in the other. Strap it on her person, maybe?...I dunno. As if one gun isn't bad enough if little kids have access to it but if you can figure out how to keep the kids from it, maybe another gun at the opposite end of the house might be one solution.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Did you have the serial number? I have a super-secret, password protected website that contains pictures, serial numbers and descriptions of all my valuable property. Even if my computer is stolen I can provide the info to police. I had a gun stolen out of my car once. Three years later i got it back! It turned up in a traffic stop. You just never know. You may get it back. Any chance the kids have it and are too afraid to say anything? To me, that would be the worst case scenario! Good luck!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Did you have the serial number? I have a super-secret, password protected website that contains pictures, serial numbers and descriptions of all my valuable property. Even if my computer is stolen I can provide the info to police. I had a gun stolen out of my car once. Three years later i got it back! It turned up in a traffic stop. You just never know. You may get it back. Any chance the kids have it and are too afraid to say anything? To me, that would be the worst case scenario! Good luck!

You should read the whole thread. ;)

Top Bottom