• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Portage
    Hello
    I hope this question does not sound to dumb. I need to get a gun safe but no room in the house for a big one. If I put it in a nonheated garage would the guns be ok with the change of temperature in the safe.
    Thanks

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    They make a thing called a Golden Rod that will keep humidity down. Do some research on them, works like an old light bulb in an old fridge for welding rods. Anyway, if you are buying from a reputable safe dealer, they can set you up for the best of your situation.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    I have a gun that's been out in the open in my garage for years. Every so often I'll wipe it down but it's been fine. If you're not housing safe queens, I wouldn't sweat it.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I use the canister dehumidifiers (I have 2 in my safe) they are filled with blue balls (he he) and as they absorb humidity they turn pink, when that happens you put them in the oven for a few hours, they also make them that you plug them in the wall to dry them out.

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    I use the ones that you plug in also. I used to have one for the oven, but realized I never use my oven except for that- so I switched up and got the plug ins.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    No safe queens here I shoot all my guns. Thanks guys for info

Even though you don't have safe queens, keeping what you have nice is important. Even safes kept in homes use golden rods. The only reason I don't is because I have in floor heat where my safe is and it keeps it a constant temp. In a garage where a blast of cold air comes in each time the door is opened (or hot air) and then a wet vehicle with a hot engine is introduced. These temp changes create wild swings and the safe will respond in weird ways. A golden rod is very cheap insurance and peace of mind that the next time you open your safe all of your guns aren't covered in rust.

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    I use a combination of the golden rod and the plug in desiccant. The desiccant removes the moisture and the golden rod warms and moves the air around to make sure there aren’t any ‘dead spots’ w/moist air lingering. I keep my liberty safe in my garage and haven’t had an issue yet...Liberty is also known for having a relatively good ‘seal’ as compared to cheaper ‘box store’ safes.

be sure to double up in your security and add a motion sensor and a camera or two to the area (they’re getting cheaper every year and really no excuse to not have at least one additional layer of security.)

braydenw

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2020
    Columbus
    I need to get a dehumidifier, but I keep all my weapons with a healthy layer of oil on them when not in use to prevent rust, especially guns I never shoot

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I've always been afraid that a golden rod would dry out wood stocks.
    I had a golden rod once, and felt like it made the too hot.
    Is that not the case? I use desiccants as well in mine.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 15, 2019
    Union
    How damp is the Garage?I would go with the Golden rod and dehumidifier.or make room in the house.How many guns do you have to store?
    Do you have a craw space?

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I also have a safe in the garage. I added a desiccant container in the safe and a dehumidifier in the garage.

If you get a dehumidifier you may want to get one with a pump. If not the drain line is gravity dependent and needs to lead to a drain below the dehumidifier. With a pump you can have the drain line to a sink or window.

For the people using the plug in desiccant, can you send a link to the specific one you use? I'd like to get one.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    How damp is the Garage?I would go with the Golden rod and dehumidifier.or make room in the house.How many guns do you have to store?
    Do you have a craw space?

Don't have a craw, house built on a slab in 2003.
    I have insulated and drywalled the garage not long after the house was built, and at that time did not have a safe.
    Garage holds temps very well.

We are empty nesters now, have a 4 bedroom two story home.
    We built the house and built very large walk in closets in all rooms.
    I have been considering some sort of locking wall mounted system and converting one of the closets, then securing the door on top of that and getting rid of the safe all together.
    Also considering selling off about half of my collection, as they sit in the safe and rarely get used.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 15, 2019
    Union
    I wouldnt sell them off I would build something like a false wall in a closet if momma will let you.I knew a guy in Kentucky had a false wall in his house.Looked like a armory behind ir.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I wouldnt sell them off I would build something like a false wall in a closet if momma will let you.I knew a guy in Kentucky had a false wall in his house.Looked like a armory behind ir.

She would let me, and I do not have to ask.
    I have consider this as well, with our large walk in closets, it would be easy enough to do.

Top Bottom