• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • forkliftdave

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    madison
    Tuesday night I got robbed. Three pistols and four rifles. What stinks is I get to look at the theif everyday. He lives across the street. Some of the people that I work with made calls to friend and so forth. My neighbor and one of his friends bragging about it. The investigating officer was at my house Tuesday till 5 am and got off at 6 am. Then he was off duty till friday. That's 2 days to get rid of or hide my guns. I told him about what I found out and he suggested I work out a meeting with the theifs with what some of my workers found out. Is that my job or his?

forkliftdave

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    madison
    It makes me boil inside. They are part of a little punk gang. I live in a county of 32,000 people and a staff of barney fifes on the payroll.

forkliftdave

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    madison
    It is sad. They also got about 1800 rounds of ammo. They got a beretta 96 g, glock 22 both 40 cal. S&w 22a , colt ar15, mle m1916 8 mm, henry lever action 22

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    There is more to this story that you have not shared.

Why are you not talking to the Prosecutor's Office? The responding Officer is just the report taker. What does his days off have anything to do with it?

The Officer's response, if accurate, indicates that he doesn't think a crime has been commited. No Officer would recommend that a "victim" negotiate with the "perp" unless the Officer considered it a civil matter.

Get a copy of the report. That will tell you and your lawyer, how to proceed.

Last edited:

forkliftdave

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    madison
    You must be a police officer. Why should I have to hire a lawyer to do the police officers job. I have done more investigating than they have. The theifs are known for stealing guns. They could of stolen more valuable items but they went for my guns.

forkliftdave

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    madison
    I want to know why you think or the officer would think no crime happened. They came through a back window. Then they left through a rear door. After the fourth police officer came they had enough materials to lift finger prints. Not one officer had a complete or usable finger print kit. That was a combination of.city and county police. They told me if could arrange a meeting they would arrest them. The two names I got. Through my own investigation are know gun thiefs and the police know them by name

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Dave, that sucks.

By now you know the law and law enforcement personnel does not work for you and does not have an interest in protecting the law abiding,

You yourself are going to have to make some noise with the prosecutors office and other officials higher up than the cop that took the initial report.

Don't expect to get justice by not doing anything on your part. Write, call, and email local and state officials exactly everything that you know and can prove.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The correct spelling is "thief". It hurts my eyes to read the word, "theif".

So, what is the unsaid part of the story?

BTW, thanks for the compliment. I am no longer involved in law enforcement. I guess I cannot stop thinking like a cop.

Again, get a copy of the report. That will tell you what the Officer think happened and what the follow-up will be. If you are correct in your narrative about entry and exit from your home, burglary charges should be pending. Maybe residential entry?

You need to be in contact with the prosecutors office. Maybe it is being investigated further by someone in that office?

Last edited:

forkliftdave

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    madison
    That is information I need. I have never had this happen to me. I wasn't aware I should or had to go to the prosecutor . I will be there in the am.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    U.S. Attorney Joseph Hogsett is leaning hard and betting a lot of chips that busting gun criminals will give him some cred.

I'd be contacting his office and complaining about the inaction of the local cops. I'd be very persistent in communicating that these criminals that stole firearms are ripe for picking.

forkliftdave

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    madison
    Thanks for the spelling lesson.
    Leash thanks for the helpful info. I had no idea I had to go to the prosecutor. I will voice my opinion in the morning.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    LEaSH. There is no person on this planet that has a more intense desire for justice and protecting the "law abiding" than the police officer.

Sure cops get cynical real fast, but there is NOBODY that will go to bat for a truly innocent victim like a Police Officer.

It is his whole reason for being on the job. It was my reason for being on the job.

Last edited:

Daniel686

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Terre Haute
    There is more to this story that you have not shared.

Why are you not talking to the Prosecutor's Office? The responding Officer is just the report taker. What does his days off have anything to do with it?

The Officer's response, if accurate, indicates that he doesn't think a crime has been commited. No Officer would recommend that a "victim" negotiate with the "perp" unless the Officer considered it a civil matter.

Get a copy of the report. That will tell you and your lawyer, how to proceed.

The officers response, if accurate, indicates that he doesn't give a damn! Most of them act like that these days. Sorry to say.:dunno:

IMPD31323

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    indy
    Wow. Thats about all i can say. 1, we can not go around kicking in doors to retrieve personal property (as much as we truely would like to). 2. Detectives are over worked and underpaid. 3. a search warrant is required for us to retrieve your personal property from someone else. look up a search warrant online, i am sure there is an example. i have written 3 in my career. it is like writing a thesis. then you have to convince a judge that you are right and HE grants you the right to kick in the door to retrieve your stuff. 4. say you arrange a meet and get your guns, i can outright arrest them and you get your guns back, you dont have to read them miranda and anything they say to you i can use against them in court vrs. most likely what i ask them i cant use. 5 Everybody wants us to do more however we loose our jobs if we dont play by the rules. best luck to you. I truely hope you get your firearms. I hope you had your serial numbers our you will have a very tuff road ahead. feel free to pm if you have any questions, i will try to point you in the right direction.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The officers response, if accurate, indicates that he doesn't give a damn! Most of them act like that these days. Sorry to say.:dunno:

I hope you are wrong. If a crime has truly been committed, I believe that the Officer will vigorously persue charges. But I am not involved in this investigation and I surely do not know the facts of this case. I hope you have serial numbers recorded?

How many interactions with law enforcement have you had that indicate that they do not "give a damn".

I hope you filed compalints with their Internal Affairs division to make sure that your Police Department is responsive to the needs of your community.

Police Officers really are servants of the community, but they are not easily fooled and won't be used either.

Again, the true victim has no better friend than the Police Officer. It is the REASON why somebody decides to take on the badge.

forkliftdave

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    madison
    Im tired of hearing if a crime was committed. They broke in my house and stoled my property maybe they had the same training as you. I don't need anymore of your unhelpful information

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    So, just go get your stuff back. Stand up and be a man. Don't bleat on a public forum that the Government won't get your stuff back for you.

I am tired of your whining.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    That is information I need. I have never had this happen to me. I wasn't aware I should or had to go to the prosecutor . I will be there in the am.

Going to a prosecutor won't help one bit. You placing guilt based on hearsay. You did not see the crime occur. You haven't heard the your neighbor make any incriminating statements. All you have is suspects. A prosecutor won't touch your case because there's no PC to charge anyone.

I don't know exactly what you or anyone else knows about how cases are worked, but the responding Officer documents the initial contact via a report, and typically a detective reads over it the next morning (if not that night) and goes from there. During the investigation, the victim is purposefully kept out of the "loop," because honestly people talk to much and can hinder, if not destroy, a case.

I'm sorry for your loss, but your story is truly a head-scratcher. How are your co-workers privy to the info surrounding the crime? That would make me somewhat suspicious of them. Who knows the contents of your home? Why would the suspects only take your firearms ad nothing else, as if they had the sole intent of taking them and nothing else? And the thing that bothers me the most, HOW in the world were 3 pistols and 4 rifles so poorly secured, that they were that easy to take after climbing through a window?

Top Bottom