• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armsvault

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    I had something happen this weekend that I have never really experienced... I went to the store and was wearing a t-shirt with my company name/logo on it. "ArmsVault.com"... As I was in line, I started to overhear the lady behind me talking to her kids about my shirt. It didn't take long to realize that she was talking about it in a negative way. I couldn't hear everything she was saying, but I did hear things like "red neck" and "guns aren't safe"...

I was amazed by just how nasty she was getting. She wasn't saying anything to me directly, but she obviously wanted me to hear it. After a few minutes I turned around and looked. Of course, her kids were looking right at me (the mom looked away). So, I just gave a polite smile to the kids and gave a shrug of the shoulders as if to say "wow... what's the big deal"... I was surprised when both kids smiled and one of them even returned the shrug.

Of course I was tempted to have a little discussion with that lady, but I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have heard a word I said. Looking back on it, I'm glad her kids got to exchange that pleasant smile and shrug with me. Perhaps that will give them a good impression of gun ownership.... or, at least offset some of the nasty things they are hearing from others.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    Often times, with women its better to just say nothing at all when their talking :)

Seems like she should live something else she tells her kids, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

What city was this in?

hardtrailz400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Batesvegas
    You did alright. No big confrontation, but the kids saw you are not a BAD GUY or CRAZY REDNECk...just a normal guy. Hopefully that sunk in.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    "How cute those kids are. Boy they grow up fast. Before you know it they'll be grown up and able to decide for themselves and erase all the bad programming they had as kids. "

Last edited:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    It's too bad that gun ownership is taboo in our society. It shouldn't be, but of course it is looked down upon by non-gun owners. I would rather be armed than be a victim. The sad thing is have you ever noticed when the local news does do a gun story they always find the biggest "red neck" they can, just too make all gun owners look like un-educated hicks. I guess that image "sticks" with people, and that is how they see all of us.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    My daughter, sister and I went to PF Changs at circle center mall. I had one of our company shirts on and my daughter had on another gun shirt, maybe GG&G, just not sure. We were on the elevator when a gentleman and his family stepped on. he commented on the shirts, asked about our company and we made small talk until the doors opened. I handed him a business card and went on my way. They ended up at PF Changs also and we stood and talked a long time while waiting on tables. He promised to call and I promised to give him a good deal.

Of course there is my t-shirt that says "GUNS KILL" very bold letters then small underneath "hippies". People don't see the hippies until I point it out, then they get all offended. I find it funny, they think I am on the anti side until I point out the truth!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    BOILERS! you have sinned.... how dare you link to glock talk... and it be YOUR post at that... immidiatly say 200 INGO prayers and then go shoot your mosin and eat a pound of bacon

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    Good move not trying to talk with her. People like that feed on drama and conflict ("...amazed by just how nasty she was getting..."). Later it would have been spun into you being on the offensive and rude no matter how polite and rational you were.
    :rolleyes:

Good move with the kids too. That was probably the best thing that you could have done.
    :yesway:

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Of course there is my t-shirt that says "GUNS KILL" very bold letters then small underneath "hippies". People don't see the hippies until I point it out, then they get all offended. I find it funny, they think I am on the anti side until I point out the truth!

Hmm...I've seen that shirt and actually do find it kind of offensive. It kind of blurs the line between pro-gun and pro-killing don't you think? What if it said "middle class white people"? That would probably be funny to some people I'm sure.

Sinner Man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    You should have turned to her and said "Yes ma'am, I sell safes and vaults so people can safely lock up their guns."

Or you could have done what I did and pointed down the aisle and said "Hey kids look- it's Santa Clause!!" and when they turn to look, feed mom a knuckle sammich.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I'd have said "yes guns can be dangerous. When used by bad people. They can save lives when used by good people, often w/o a shot being fired.
    And yes they can be dangerous and need to be operated by a trained person with respect for it's potential power. Kinda like a car....."

BUT she probably wouldn't have heard it.....

Also FWIW to the OP. I have had instructors and others state that firearms related apperall may make you a target in an active shooter situation...

Last edited:

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I've got an AK shirt I wear that's styled after the CK shirts that were popular a few years ago .

So far I don't think anyone has noticed or at least nobody has said anything I could hear .

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I love to go to restaurants when my son is wearing a Glock cap and I'm wearing an INGO cap, or a Magpul cap, or a VTac cap, or another Glock cap. It's fun to watch people and their reactions. Sometimes you can catch them trying to figure out whether we are carrying or not. News for them: we are, but they probably can't tell. Except for the one time at El Meson when my son got up from the table and his shirt got pulled aside and he revealed his Glock 30 to about three booths full of people. It was obvious they saw it, but no one said a word. At least until we were gone.

fishgun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2009
    Speak your mind,:patriot: cause those that matter don't mind, and those that mind don't matter.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn

Good job reinforcing the negative stereo-type. Just for the record, I don't find it "funny" to talk about killing anything. I would hope that everyone, gun-owners or non-gun-owners would be offended by that shirt.

Hmm...I've seen that shirt and actually do find it kind of offensive. It kind of blurs the line between pro-gun and pro-killing don't you think? What if it said "middle class white people"? That would probably be funny to some people I'm sure.

+1

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

Good job reinforcing the negative stereo-type. Just for the record, I don't find it "funny" to talk about killing anything. I would hope that everyone, gun-owners or non-gun-owners would be offended by that shirt.

francis.jpg

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I gotta add my "gun t-shirt" experience. At the 1500 this past January I wore my Obama t-shirt to see what would happen. I had one guy that actually told me to get away from his booth. In a most dramatic way I might add!!! Of course at every table that I wore it to I received pretty much the same response, some more "spirited" than others but still the same response, a look of astonishment, a "get away from my table" stare or actual verbal indication and then a big laugh when they actually read the T-shirt! My shirt says "I get my guns at Patriot Arms, Clay City Indiana!" There was one table there that each of the 3 times I visited gave me the same cold reception, and the last time I even pointed out what it said on it. Perhaps one of the ladies that was manning the table at that time will respond now!

Top Bottom