• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Dedicated thieves with enough time, I think can overcome any kind of safe or secured room.

If you locate your safe on the main or second floor then a reciprocating saw will free the safe from the building and the thieves can just drive off with the booty. If you cement your safe in the basement with screws and lag bolts in cement and concrete walls the thieves can just use a jack hammer and in a matter of minutes can compromise your best efforts. Even if they cannot free the safe, an acetylene torch will do short work of any safe you buy.

I think the only reason to have a safe is to prove to the judge that you are a responsible gun owner. It has nothing to do with protecting your firearms from theft. In fact I think a safe is a magnet for thieves. They now know where the valuables are and find it an interesting challenge to break into the safe.

You've convinced me. I think I'll throw all of my guns out in the yard, so nobody's tempted to try and steal them.

DanS26

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    SE Indiana
    IMHO, if you really want to protect your firearms, then install a video security system. Thieves will avoid video recording at all costs, they will go to the unsecured home.

crawfish

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    south indy
    I would use humidifier and doubt front porch is 3 ft thick usually its filled with rock or sand and capped off with 3 to 6 inches of crete. Any way doesn't matter you can purchase a moisture meter for about 60 bucks. Is the door airtite?? I would also stay away from using wood in any of build inside vault....you said you had a carpenter friend just saying you want no wood... holds moisture. good luck

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    No safe or vault is burglar proof. The idea is to make it difficult enough to encourage thieves to find a softer target.

swatdoc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Franklin
    Suggestions for those interested in secure rooms, I've read both of these and they are excellent resources:

HOW TO IMPLEMENT A HIGH SECURITY SHELTER IN THE HOME

The first item on the page is a paperback book with most of the important considerations for a high security shelter thoroughly covered.

Towards the bottom of the page there is a reference to another publication called "How To Fortify a Closet." There appears to be no order button for that. He might just email it to you if you ask for it.

swatdoc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Franklin
    Existing concrete walls/block--prep thoroughly and paint with block filler to retard moisture intrusion.

The weakest link to physical intrusion through a vault door may not be the door itself, but the connection between the masonry and the door frame--if you are dealing with a pre-existing structure.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Existing concrete walls/block--prep thoroughly and paint with block filler to retard moisture intrusion.

The weakest link to physical intrusion through a vault door may not be the door itself, but the connection between the masonry and the door frame--if you are dealing with a pre-existing structure.

My door frame is made out of 6" c channel. I welded nine 1 1/2" nipples about 6" long for the pin pockets. It was set in place and then the concrete was poured. You aren't going to yank this door frame out. :D

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    Suggestions for those interested in secure rooms, I've read both of these and they are excellent resources:

HOW TO IMPLEMENT A HIGH SECURITY SHELTER IN THE HOME

The first item on the page is a paperback book with most of the important considerations for a high security shelter thoroughly covered.

Towards the bottom of the page there is a reference to another publication called "How To Fortify a Closet." There appears to be no order button for that. He might just email it to you if you ask for it.

That's an excellent link. There is a note saying that the fortified closet pub has been incorporated as chapter 4 of the other book they are selling.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    thanks for in info on the bio door lock guys, as far as intruders, I think a lot of it would depend on how much NOISE they are willing to make, how close and how well can your neighbours here? Video is a Plus, and some systems are fairly cheap

Top Bottom