• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RAMMAN2002

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Ok we'll I'm new here but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me. About five years ago I was working security and my car was reposssed due to a paper error. When they repossed my car my handgun was in the car. When I went to get my car back the tow angency said they found a handgun in the car and turned it into IMPD. I immediantly called the Police and the officer told me to call in and give them the serial number and they would return it to me. One thing lead to another and I got busy and forgot to accomplish this task. It was a hi-point and I wasn't happy with the gun and started to carrry my XD for duty. Today I was cleaning out papers and found my hi-point papers including the recipt with the serial number. The question is do any of you think they would still have my gun at the police station. If so what number would I call. My wife is wanting a gun to take to the range with her. I think it would be nice if I could recover this gun. Thanks for the help and suggestions in advance.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    Welcome to INGO! I doubt if they would keep it for 5 years since it wasn't evidence or anything. It cant hurt to call and ask though. The non emergency number for IMPD is 327-3811. The property room number is 327-3454.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Can't hurt to call and inquire, but it's been 5 years, and it's a hi-point. I wouldn't work too hard for it. What'd they cost 5 years ago... like $90?? haha

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011

Just shows how forgettable a cheap gun can be...if you can't get the gun maybe
    you could get documentation on what happened to it. If it turned up in a crime
    (not likely, but not impossible) there could be questions. Be nice to have
    answers.

alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    5 years actually might be with in the limits of them still having it. I had a similar situation with them and a hipoint .380 years ago. I called them 7 years later just because I was bored and the lady told me it was just disposed of a few months prior to me calling. So id give them a call and see what they say at the least.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'm thinking it is NOT required to be in the property room after 1 year if it isn't tied to a crime. The property room isn't a public storage facility and 'a reasonable amount of time' is generally given to return the property to their rightful owner if it can be found. After 'a reasonable amount of time' the property is disposed of according to dept SOPs.

This ought to be a good 'un... :popcorn:

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Try to call. Worst they can tell you is they dont have it. But 5 years man...do you really want the gun back...really?

RAMMAN2002

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Update to Hi-Point Recovery

We'll me and my brother wen't down yesterday to the City County Building. The gun is still in the property room. It was actually not turned in till 2010. I belive the tow truck drive stole it out of my car and never turned it into the cops. The gun was found on some gang memebers and the cops conficasted it. I know the gun is an Hi-Point but it was the first handgun my dad bought me before he passed. Since shooting and guns was our bonding time this gun holds value to me. The won't release the gun to me because my dad bought the gun and he is deceased so my mom which holds power of attorney has to go down and claim the gun. She is supposed to go down tommowow. I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Top Bottom