• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I hate when someone says "well that's what it's going for on gunbroker" It seems to me that the prices on there are artificially high, someone could just keep bidding to bump up the price, causing the "price" to be that high......

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I hate when someone says "well that's what it's going for on gunbroker" It seems to me that the prices on there are artificially high, someone could just keep bidding to bump up the price, causing the "price" to be that high......

Not sure what you mean here. If your talking about shill bidding, yes that can happen. Not sure how often it does, but it's possible.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That's why I only look at completed auctions (ones that actually sold at a given price). It's not perfect, but it's still a good idea of what prices the market will bear.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Never underestimate the need to "win".
    A visit to a local auction can be informative.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    That's why I only look at completed auctions (ones that actually sold at a given price). It's not perfect, but it's still a good idea of what prices the market will bear.
    Just a question to all. Can Joe put up a gun on GB, and have friends Bob and Jim bid it up hoping to get a bidder to buy high, then if it does not hoppen still have one of the friends win the auction and close it out as a high sale? Then put it up again with the worst being they have another comparable in the system at a high price?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just a question to all. Can Joe put up a gun on GB, and have friends Bob and Jim bid it up hoping to get a bidder to buy high, then if it does not hoppen still have one of the friends win the auction and close it out as a high sale? Then put it up again with the worst being they have another comparable in the system at a high price?
    I think so in theory at least. Don't know how often that actually happens though.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yes, it can happen, and yes it does happen.
    GunBroker has provisions for this scenario.
    Anyone caught running up auctions with shill bidders receive the ban hammer, and it is permanent.
    They can always set up a different account, but they would have to register under an alias, and I don't mean just a new screen name.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I suspected a shill bidder once on GB. I did report it, not sure what if anything happened.
    The firearm location (Florida) and the person bidding against me also lived in Florida.
    I finally quit bidding when it was above retail locally. Yes I realize it could have been legit, just seemed "off", I suspected the other bidder could have been a friend, or the same person with two accts. Who knows. GB never did follow up with me FWIW.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I suspected a shill bidder once on GB. I did report it, not sure what if anything happened.
    The firearm location (Florida) and the person bidding against me also lived in Florida.
    I finally quit bidding when it was above retail locally. Yes I realize it could have been legit, just seemed "off", I suspected the other bidder could have been a friend, or the same person with two accts. Who knows. GB never did follow up with me FWIW.
    Doesn't surprise me.
    I heard on a radio ad recently that GB had something like 6 million registered users.
    If only half of them make only one purchase a year you're still looking at 3 million sales a year.
    That's a lot to keep track of.

GB also charges for the listing.
    As a seller, if you have a shill bidder run up the price, and win the auction, the seller still has to pay a commission on the sale.
    The commission is a set fee for the listing, and a graduated fee based on the final sale price.

Too many shill bidders could cost the seller some serious coin in the long run.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Not sure if it was a shill bidding situation, but I was watching an xd-45 compact a few weeks ago that sold for $492 with 39 bids. A few days later, the same gun was listed again. This time it sold for $425 with only 13 bids. So the seller lost money if it was a shill situation.

Makes one wonder.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Not sure if it was a shill bidding situation, but I was watching an xd-45 compact a few weeks ago that sold for $492 with 39 bids. A few days later, the same gun was listed again. This time it sold for $425 with only 13 bids. So the seller lost money if it was a shill situation.

Makes one wonder.
    So it seems to me the seller paid himself $492 minus the GB fees, then sold at $425, that could be a run up number, and would only be out the fees on the $492 sale.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    So it seems to me the seller paid himself $492 minus the GB fees, then sold at $425, that could be a run up number, and would only be out the fees on the $492 sale.
    Yeah, I'm not sure what the situation was. I just know $425 was as high as I would go, and I didn't ask the seller why it was relisted.

This was the first time I bought on GB, I've bought from online auctions where it is a business liquidation sale, and they are always done when the electronic gavel pounds. Auctions can be interesting to watch, especially land auctions, and knowing your top limit is key in my opinion.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Yes, they could but somebody has to pay WalletBreaker each time the sale is closed spuriously

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Makes one wonder.
    Seller could have had a non-paying bidder the first time and it would not be apparent to a potential buyer

Top Bottom