• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Percolater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    My Grandpa had to pass a series of tests and flag memorizations to get assigned onboard a Pacific theatre cruiser. His friends who failed stayed in Great Lakes. I have recently inherited all of his memorabilia and am having a wistful exploration of history 82 years ago. Would you be able to pass these couple tests? :) 8A7FD40A-0617-43AE-BE13-34EAEBB03C26.jpeg 0E5A9707-0455-4BED-9A81-C26658C656EF.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I was an AQ, aviation fire control technician, on A7Es. I wish my testing was that easy. Things were getting pretty technical by the time I went in, 74-76’

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    Re: question 16.
    I was surprised to see that they were still using sperm oil around 1940. It has been illegal to sell for several years.
    Whaling was banned worldwide in the late 1990s.
    For the benefit of the uninformed and juveniles: it has nothing to do with reproductive function.

"the primary source of sperm oil was the spermaceti organ and the junk (or "melon"), the organs that serve to focus and modulate the animal's vocalizations.[5] A sperm whale's spermaceti organ may contain as much as 1,900 litres (500 US gal) of substance".

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I thought you were a MM (nuclear). You shoveled atoms into the submarine's engines to make them run? Cross train as GM?

View attachment 196928

Oddly enough, that's a shipmate feeding the hamsters spinning the wheels that actually power the ship.
    That's supposed to be classified.

Also, ET-2 (Nuke) SS
    And there is some degree of cross training, both submarine wide (hence the SS qual), and within the Nuke discipline (ET, EM, MM).

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    My recently departed father in law, was the fire control officer on a pocket battleship , from what I understand he sent "a few" enemy (pacific theater) vessels to the bottom of the sea....you had to have perfect stereoscopic vision & be able to do geometry in your head.....he was 17 years when he first to sea & battle....I'm not sure but I do believe he was a braver man then I shall ever be

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    What? No school?? We had plenty of guys from the fleet who had to strike at Gunner's Mistakes school with us. I liked 'A' school. Every weekend off so i rode my m/c home on Friday. Back before muster on Monday.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    What? No school?? We had plenty of guys from the fleet who had to strike at Gunner's Mistakes school with us. I liked 'A' school. Every weekend off so i rode my m/c home on Friday. Back before muster on Monday.
    I’m unsure as to why they never sent me. Maybe it was because it was the Obama days? Maybe they just didn’t like my face, I don’t know.

Didn’t really end up mattering. Being an enthusiast already, I was more skilled with small arms than the other young GMs. The larger equipment and non gun systems that I had to maintenance on all had MRCs so they were somewhat self explanatory. I got by alright. Only thing that really scared me was working on those large magazine sprinklers. Massive valves waiting to trip and flood the space at any moment.

Percolater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Found a book that looks like inventory logs. Anybody know what those abbreviations stand for? Comm. SS, HC, AGR

Top Bottom