• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Great debate,with several valid opinions. How are u planing on handling the school property problem? Ours are 15 and 20 and that has been one of the toughest parts of carrying. Phone calls of "I need to stay late can someone pick me up?". Many times I was 2 miles from school and 10 miles from home and armed.
    You can legally pick them up. A 15-year-old should be able to run out when you pull up, and jump in. No need to stop "operating" your motor vehicle.

I plan on doing a couple of things, as our starts pre-school next month:
    1) I will be asking the pre-school's owner to authorize me to do one of the following; 1) lock it in my vehicle on-property, 2) carry concealed, or 3) carry as I see fit. My wife and I are happy to volunteer for the school (I would GLADLY organize/lead an Eddie the Eagle activity for the kids), but there may be a string attached.
    2) If none of the above work, I'll be locking it in the vehicle JUST off site (on the street in front of the school) and walking my girl in/out.

tiretrack

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    our side o the wire
    You can legally pick them up. A 15-year-old should be able to run out when you pull up, and jump in. No need to stop "operating" your motor vehicle.

I plan on doing a couple of things, as our starts pre-school next month:
    1) I will be asking the pre-school's owner to authorize me to do one of the following; 1) lock it in my vehicle on-property, 2) carry concealed, or 3) carry as I see fit. My wife and I are happy to volunteer for the school (I would GLADLY organize/lead an Eddie the Eagle activity for the kids), but there may be a string attached.
    2) If none of the above work, I'll be locking it in the vehicle JUST off site (on the street in front of the school) and walking my girl in/out.
    You would think a 15yr would simply run out and jump in ,but seems there is always something. " you need to talk to teacher ,coach,admin.." and we are at a rural school off-site is 1/2 mile ,not that I don't need the exercise:). Sounds like you have a plan tho.Remember to remimd grandpa or whomever might help that carry. At our ranch,it takes all available hands to help herd the little critters

Hanu

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    :ugh: If that's what you got out of that post, you missed the point completely.

Agree to disagree is a funny way of putting it since this is about familial choices. There isn't a right or wrong answer that's universally applicable to all families.

That's not all I got out of your post. I just didn't think it would be productive to try to address every point. This could go on forever. We don't have the same opinion on this topic.

Your last paragraph:
    "Yes, my children are at an increased risk because I do not hide my firearms from them. But I'd wager money that risk is negated by their training and more than covers the gap in those that rely on storage and physical barrier."

I would agree that hiding firearms doesn't work unless they are also secured and children should be trained regarding what to do if they find one. You're wagering more than money by relying on trainining to negate the risk.

squintz22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Between FW and Indy
    Since my little pink card showed up Tuesday, and is currently awaiting a few minute break at work so I can laminate it...I did take the opportunity to bring it up with the kids. Since #1 gets the mail, and all of them can read, they saw the return address and asked about it.

They now know I have it...and what it means, but since I injured my foot, I haven't been running. (Main reason I wanted it was for when I run, since I do it alone.) Anyway - so they haven't seen me carry yet. I'm hoping to take the older two to the range with me next weekend to bore them. (It will...neither of them are the concern.)

As for knowing my children? Well....#1 and #2 will quickly learn everything they can, get bored, and wouldn't touch a firearm if told not to. #3 and #4 however, will be the reason I have to lock firearms up. They both like to ask if they can do something...wait to be told no...and then do it anyway. Taking away computer time, their DS, or the TV simply doesn't seem an appropriate discipline for touching a firearm when they shouldn't...(2 girls, 2 boys, ages are 11, 9, 7, and 5.)

So next plan is to slowly introduce an actual firearm, and let the girls try it out. The boys will be getting to watch me take it apart, clean it, and put it back together. (Which is what they'll enjoy the most)

Top Bottom