• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    There is a thread over in "Long Guns" that is discussing Saiga & Vepr 12's and it got me thinking about how I could justify to myself buying a VEPR 12. They're cool, they're guns, that is pretty much all I need, but while trying to figure out what task they would better fit than anything I have right now, I decided on "Monster Hunting". If I were going to go generically hunt monsters, an autoloading ak style 12 gauge would probably be on the list of things to bring.

That led me to this pretty neat article showing some cool monster themed guns and kits (mostly vampire/werewolf kits).

TINCANBANDIT's Gunsmithing: Monster Hunting Kits
    I thought it was cool and wanted to share.

Anyone else have any good "Monster Hunting" gun suggestions?

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Pretty cool stuff. Not that they are real silver, but I always wanted to build some 10mm Auto loads using Winchester Silvertips in nickel plated cases. Wonder if you could plate silver over a copper bullet at home?

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have my Pump Slug Gun, my 45-70 Marlin and my M14. What else do I need to hunt Monsters? Oh yeah, I do need a Barrett 50 Cal. :>)

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Main character in the excellent Monster Hunter International series uses a heavily modified Saiga 12. Has a silver inlaid bayo and a grenade launcher to boot.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Main character in the excellent Monster Hunter International series uses a heavily modified Saiga 12. Has a silver inlaid bayo and a grenade launcher to boot.

Lol, someone on here recommended the series and I'm reading the second one now. That might have something to do with me wanting a vepr 12 for monster hunting. You can tell the author is a "gun guy".

To the people asking about making silver bullets; here's a link to someone making their own "silver bullets" by filling hollow points with silver: Silver-Tipped Hollowpoints

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I picked up one of these at the last gun show. I figured I'm pretty set with my S&W Model 66. :cool:

silver-bullet.jpg

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Glad somebody mentioned Larry Correia. I'm trying to remember what guns all the main characters use, it's a pretty diverse lot. As mentioned, the main character uses a Saiga-12 with a grenade launcher and a bayonet. His wife uses an M-14, I think. One of the other guys uses a 45-70 lever action (Marlin 1895, I think?). Team leader uses a Tommy Gun. If you haven't read them, they're a great series. The first book has a hilarious opening line.

‘On one otherwise ordinary Tuesday evening I had the chance to live the American dream. I was able to throw my incompetent jackass of a boss from a fourteenth story window.’

The government monster hunters use . . . FN2000s? I've only read the series 3-4 times, seriously check it out. :D

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Another member of the team uses a .308 Vepr. Basically the company MHI allows anything they have tested and found to be reliable...as long as it's .45 or .308 or 12 ga. The Thompson user is an "older" character who bought a slew of them when the 1932 firearms act was passed.

Yeah, snorko likes the series.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Another member of the team uses a .308 Vepr. Basically the company MHI allows anything they have tested and found to be reliable...as long as it's .45 or .308 or 12 ga. The Thompson user is an "older" character who bought a slew of them when the 1932 firearms act was passed.

Yeah, snorko likes the series.

Which makes you wonder how Sam gets around that with his 45-70, but Sam generally does not give a crap, it seems. ;)

Top Bottom