• Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

I was at my local bank (not CU) updating some accounting thingies.

Got it into my head that I could ask about firearms in banks in a roundabout way - I asked how much to rent a lockbox for "a couple collectible pistols and some old ammunition."

I was told by the lady helping me (an acquaintance, higher-higher in the institution, whose family I have camped with, so I know her) that guns are not "supposed" to be in banks. I asked if it was because of the FDIC insurance, and she told me it was.

I didn't tell her that I had my 1911 and a backup on me at the time, and she didn't ask.

I did get the definitive answer though. It's always been a gray area to me, even with the discussions early last year.

Now I have more rules to ignore. :rockwoot:

Josh

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Interesting. I had never heard of banks being no-carry zones. My bank has (at least) two branches in Terre Haute. One branch has it posted on the door that firearms aren't allowed, but the other doesn't; guess which one I use.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I guess I just always assumed that banks were No Carry zones because of their FDIC affiliation. Now I don't need to guess. Thanks.

Just keep in mind the difference between "illegal" and "against policy".

Breaking one gets your arrested. Breaking the other only gets you asked to leave.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    IMO, the word of an employee, no matter how well you know her, is not "definitive". A citation to the code, regulation, or policy would be. As to policies, those only go for that particular bank, not banks in general.

I know of no law, regulation, or policy which blanketly forbids guns and I'm pretty sure there isn't one. Just because an institution is federally insured does NOT make it federal property.

Also, there is a big difference between a bank refusing to take care/custody of a firearm and a blanket ban on guns being carried in them.

Best,

Joe

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Sure she was talking about the building & not the box?

While there are no Federal laws or regs regarding contents, many financial institutions stipulate no guns (and other things) are to be kept in their boxes, and it is something you would find in the lease you sign.

Of course, unless they (or the government) looks, who would know. BTW, governments have been known to take the contents of SDB's for their own use, especially in these bad financial times. There are numerous instances of things like that happening.

You can read this for more...

Last edited:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    IMO, the word of an employee, no matter how well you know her, is not "definitive". A citation to the code, regulation, or policy would be. As to policies, those only go for that particular bank, not banks in general.

I know of no law, regulation, or policy which blanketly forbids guns and I'm pretty sure there isn't one. Just because an institution is federally insured does NOT make it federal property.

Also, there is a big difference between a bank refusing to take care/custody of a firearm and a blanket ban on guns being carried in them.

Best,

Joe

Damn you Fargo, you beat me to it again. In addition, according to the ATF, you are permitted to store your registered NFA item (e.g., machinegun) in a safe deposit box as long as you are the only person with the key or combination.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    According to the NRA-ILA page on Federal Firearms Laws (Federal Firearms Laws ), there is no federal LAW addressing guns in banks.

Also, upon searching the FDIC Rules and Regulations Page, the only reference to "firearm" I could find were policies banning firearms in FDIC facilities (buildings owned or leased by FDIC).

For "gun" and "guns", the only hits I got related to financial institutions was a write up showing concern for a particular Bank's promotional gun program, wherein interest on a CD was paid in guns and/or knives and related products, and in a list of examples of what local police might try to get a warrant to search your safe deposit box for.

IANAL, TINLA, and YMMV

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Many people are under the impression (even people who work for) that banks are owned by the federal government so they are no different than a post office (don't get me started on that argument because the post office is not ran by the government, just everyone who works for it is employed by). (oh wait.. they're apparently owned by obama according to my live in g/f's sister). HAHA

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Well if being federally insured means no fire arms then I would say folks that are and medicare and the soon to be Obamacare would have to get rid of their guns.:laugh:

A bank is not federal property! Therefore the feds cannot stop you from carrying there!

I'm sorry but the person you asked is full of horse poopy.:D

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The "horse" in this case is not a reliable source of information unless she is relaying bank policy (as others have noted). There might be laws in other states, but there aren't any federal laws barring a gun in a bank, nor are there any Indiana laws either. Feel free to cite any that refute my assertion.

Again, a business' policy is not in any manner, shape, or form "the law." The "horse" may believe there is such a law, but 1) she's wrong, and 2) if she's right, she or someone else will need to cite the law itself.

This is much like truck drivers who swear that there is some DOT regulation that prohibits firearms in their trucks. No such law or regulation exists (beyond a specific company's policy or some state's law), and none has been cited anywhere I've read online (becaus you can't cite what doesn't exist).

Asking a bank employee about laws governing guns in banks is kind of like asking a police officer about a law he's never enforced or heard of or asking a doctor about medication that is outside of the purview of his practice. You want to know about the law, you either do the research yourself or you consult a attorney competent in that area (or both). You want to know about pharmaceuticals, you do the research yourself or you consult a pharmacist competent in that area (or both).

Hello,

I was at my local bank (not CU) updating some accounting thingies.

Got it into my head that I could ask about firearms in banks in a roundabout way - I asked how much to rent a lockbox for "a couple collectible pistols and some old ammunition."

I was told by the lady helping me (an acquaintance, higher-higher in the institution, whose family I have camped with, so I know her) that guns are not "supposed" to be in banks. I asked if it was because of the FDIC insurance, and she told me it was.

I didn't tell her that I had my 1911 and a backup on me at the time, and she didn't ask.

I did get the definitive answer though. It's always been a gray area to me, even with the discussions early last year.

Now I have more rules to ignore. :rockwoot:

Josh

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I carry every time I go to a bank... it'd be like not carrying in CVS, a gas station or somewhere else I deem a higher probability of having a problem.

I keep track of local crime on Indy Unsolved... lots of crap in our area.

IndyUnsolved | Facebook

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

Here exact words were "You're not supposed to have firearms in a bank anyway..."

She went on to say that nobody but me would know what was in the box.

She's higher on the food chain. Somebody along the way has either told her or given her the impression that, because of the FDIC affiliation, it is illegal.

This girl is def not anti-gun, and what I personally heard was a disclaimer and a small "watch your ***" and nothing more. I think she knows I carry because of a discussion during one of the camping trips, but the subject has never come up.

I did tell her that this is a subject which has caused a stir in the gun community and thanked her for the 'definitive' answer then went back to my other business with the accounts.

She did think anyway that she was referencing a law, and so they must have been told that someplace in training (as I said, she's a bit higher on the food chain there). If other people in other banks have received similar training, I would figure that, if one were to accidentally flash, all hell would break loose.

That said, it will not affect my behavior in the least; I was curious and figured some would appreciate the post.

Josh

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I have OC'ed in my bank many-a-time. One time the bank manager was just standing around and came up and started talking to me while I was in line. Apparently he knew my dad. Anyways he asked if it was the law I had to show my firearm, so I informed him in Indiana it is legal to OC or CC. He just smiled and said Hm.

Its legal, don't worry.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Horse's mouth? Well, that old gray mare ain't what she used to be!:D

Are we running some sort of Kirk's First Law variant?

Some corruption of a CFR reg for an FDIC bank? Some other state's law being imposed on Indiana? Policy of an individual bank being mutated into law?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Josh,

I think the lady was partially right in her saying what she did.

Almost all banks prohibit lots of stuff from being stored in their SD boxes, firearms, ammunition, chemicals, explosives, fireworks, etc.

It wouldn't surprise me if almost all banks had a policy on paper disallowing firearms in their banks, including patrons AND employees. Some display their desire...some don't.

But, in Indiana, there is no legal prohibition from carrying in a bank.

And, like she told you, you're the only one who'll ever know what's inside your SD box anyhow.

The policy isn't likely to stem from FDIC insurance, either. FDIC doesn't cover contents of SD boxes. It's likely to stem from Renter's and/or Property Insurance.

-J-

Top Bottom