• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    well how about someone trying to negotiate with you on the price and "o well if you take that gun to a gunshop they will only give you 20% of what its actually worth so you should give it to me for that price too" Uhh.... how bout no because Im not selling to a gunshop Im selling private party for that reason dumbass. I can understand a lowball but 20% of its honest to God value? Thats just rude.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Many paid full prices for their guns and have the "by God" I paid $500 for gun "Z" five years ago, I want $500 for it now mentality. Just want back what they paid for it at some overpriced retail store.

TempusFugit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    When looking at the classifieds I alway take into acount the savings of shipping, tax and FFL transfer fee or entry fee to a gunshow. This in itself is significant.

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    I'd go to Gunbroker, get an average price, subtract $50 or more, depending on the condition.
    Is that $50.00 off after shipping, and FFL transfer fee, or just off the price on Gunbroker? I just ask because i make my pricing using Gunbroker also, but i take everything into account, i will also go lower than that depending on what i have into the piece to.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Maybe the high prices are for situations where they promised the wife they would sell the gun, but really don't want to. If the wife gives them grief over bringing a Mosin home, they may tell her that it was the deal of a lifetime at $95 for a $600 rifle. Now, they know it's not a $600 rifle, but it makes the wife feel better. If said wife calls them on it and wants it sold, they list it for $600 and continue to enjoy it while it doesn't sell.

Either that, or they just might be a bit early on the hyperinflation bit.

blaster2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Indianapolis
    There have been some good deals posted but they go quick. Overall I think I can do better at the gun show or at a couple of gun stores here in Indy. But I still enjoy looking at the ads. What is funny to me is when the price is listed as negotiable. Then later they come back with a firm price that is three bucks lower.

JCAJR30

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Union County
    I peruse armslist daily to see if any deals are present. I think, as some have already pointed out, that most people, myself included, will post their weapon for a price slightly higher than they intend to sell it for. The same could be said for cars, homes, electronics...whatever, that's the nature of "FTF" business. I think there is a fair amount of you who, like myself, have, or currently do, serve in the military. Which affords us the opportunity to travel abroad - point being - every transaction in third world nations is done on the bartering system - even the store front "big business" shops... that's normal to them. So, we aren't reinventing anything here - it's just part of the game. If you cant work out a deal - move on to the next opportunity - there's one around every corner.

Wesley Willis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Indiana
    There was a Glock listed for sale on here recently. It was selling with some accessories and extra mags or something. The poster added up the total retail value of the gun and all the accessories and subtracted a 15% or 20% discount because it was used. So the listed price was something lie $725.83... I almost NEVER laugh out loud on stuff I see on the computer, may crack a smile here or there, but the cents in the listing made me laugh. I assume he was expecting some one to offer $700 even or something but still...

Wesley Willis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Indiana
    Whenever I sell something, I have thought about selling that item for probably 3 or 4 weeks. Once I do decide to sell it, I just want it GONE. So I tend to list things at a good starting point, I don't "plan" for lowballers. I own a business and deal with people all day long, so if I can minimize this type of interaction with people in my free time, I do that. Listing stuff for a bit cheaper than the next guy will help me sell stuff fast. Generally speaking, for all things USED, I usually try and sell it for 50% off the price I bought it for. Guns are a bit different, but when I want something sold, I put a good price on it and usually it is gone fast.

I have a friend that thinks everything he owns is GOLD. He is constantly saying to me "how do you sell your stuff so fast, I can never sell my stuff that fast." Whether it's a gun, car, motorcycle, couch, whatever... he is always asking WAY too much for his stuff. I always tell him that, but he always says something like "I take great care of my stuff, the buyer will see that and it will help it sell." That's why he has been trying to sell a motorcycle since last August, and it still hasn't sold. I decided to sell one of my motorcycles this spring, listed it, sold it within 2 weeks... but he didn't understand why.

schoolmaster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Can't really buy from the Classifieds yet. Don't have the required number of posts but working on it. I would already have bought several items if contact could be made.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've sold a couple of guns via the classifieds and in each case, I know what it's worth to me and have a good idea what it's worth in the case in a shop. If it's a gun that I like, but that I've decided to part with, I come up what a realistic price based on other classifieds and then ask myself if I'd buy it again at the price I'm thinking of selling it for. I think in terms of 'If I walked into a gun shop today and saw that same gun in the case for what I think I'm going to get for this one, would I jump on the deal or just walk by'.

When I decided that I might want to sell my Bersa 9UC, I figured that I could realistically get around $300 to $325 for it. I loved the gun, but did not shoot it much since getting the CZs and my wife liked the CZs better, so it was on the block. Then I asked myself if I walked into Bradis and saw that gun for $300, would I buy it? I probably would, because it's a nice gun for that kind of money so I decided to not sell it after all.

In the end, I gave it to my nephew. It's still in the family and is owned and carried by a soldier who can use it to improve his handgun skills over and above what the Army might teach him. It turned out to be a win-win in that case.

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    I understand if there has been a lot of extra parts added to it or upgraded triggers. Heck even a bunch of extra mags will jack up the price, but a stock gun, even unfired, still has to be worth less than retail. I do understand that if a gun costs $500 new, you could list it for $475, here's why...

New @ the gun store
    $500

sales tax
    $35

Total price new = $535

If you then buy it used for $475 you save $60 or around 11-12%. If it is LNIB that is a good deal!! If it is worn, the price has to drop!!

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I understand if there has been a lot of extra parts added to it or upgraded triggers. Heck even a bunch of extra mags will jack up the price, but a stock gun, even unfired, still has to be worth less than retail. I do understand that if a gun costs $500 new, you could list it for $475, here's why...

New @ the gun store
    $500

sales tax
    $35

Total price new = $535

If you then buy it used for $475 you save $60 or around 11-12%. If it is LNIB that is a good deal!! If it is worn, the price has to drop!!

Failed logic.

Buying new @ a gun store for $500.00 is what you paid for it, the $35.00 dollars sales tax is your cost of buying from a business.

Anything I have ever sold. I have never used the thought process of "I bought it for this much with sales tax" mindset.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I will disagree. I understand the sales tax logic, but if the sales tax has been paid and resells the gun to u, it is still saving u money. I typically don't pay attention either, but I can see the point.

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    Buying new @ a gun store for $500.00 is what you paid for it, the $35.00 dollars sales tax is your cost of buying from a business.

The point I was trying to prove is that when I sell a used gun for $475, some guy says I can buy it new for $500 at Gander Mountain, I say no you can't. If you buy a gun new at Gander Mountain, you will have to pay sales tax. Or I can buy it online for $500, one again no you can't! $500 + shipping + 3% cc fee + FFL transfer cost + tax. Now granted there are some exceptions on online purchases, some have free shipping and no tax, but there still are fees associated with the transaction.

I am not trying to argue with you, I am just stating that an add says $500 you will not walk into that store with 5 $100 bills and walk out the door with the gun. So if I have a month old gun that was like brand new with 50rds through it and I paid $535 for it, because that is the total new price, don't you think that $475 is a reasonable offer for it? I most definitely do, but I don't try to offer people $250 for a $500 gun.:rockwoot:

csm47362

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    New Castle, IN
    I collect Colts double action's, none of which can be purchased new, but the prices can be all over the place. I have seen Pythons listed on gunbroker for $900, but some else sells the same gun for almost $2000.

Like I tell people you can ask what every you want but it worth what someone will pay!

Top Bottom