• ...and so much more!
  • Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    To Sgtusmc,

While I value our RTKBA I would not make it the most important thing over the love of my life. If push comes to shove family is first - NOT the number of hoops I have to jump through to keep my guns.

That said, once there I would start looking to run for city council, then state legislature to have a voice, gain power, and change the stupid laws.

Guns aside I will warn you to be VERY careful of living in Hawaii! What the others have said about the cost of living is true, but it is also very expensive to live in DC, LA, or downtown NYC.

The issue I would caution you on is island fever! A friend of mine was stationed there in the Navy and several of his married buddies got out and were talked into living there by their spouses, who already had good jobs there.

When you realize the farthest you can drive is about 50 miles before you need a boat or a plane to go ANYWHERE else on the planet Earth can be a bit constraining psychologically. One (1) couple did fine and still happily live there, but the others suffered severe marital problems that ended in divorce.

Think about every time there is a death in the family you must spend thousands of dollars to fly to the funeral if you need to go. Home ownership could be severely limiting due to the geographical nature of the terrain. At least in California you can choose to live an hour or so commute and buy a less expensive home. Not so in Hawaii.

Think about the isolation of the island. If you can live with that for years on end then good luck on covering the rest of the issues!

Regards,

Doug

Very aware of "island fever". I lived there off and on (between deployments to far away lands) for 6 years. Anytime I wanted to go home on leave it cost me a good grand back then. Another thing is the racism against whites (Haole's).

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Found out I CAN own the AR in Hawaii, just not 30 rounders. Due to their legislation against AR pistols, they consider ALL AR pattern rifle mags to be pistol mags. Therefore no mags above 10 rounds. I guess I'll have to get something like this just in case :rockwoot:

1478-pmc-kit-3d-png-Tue-Mar-4-10-51-47.png

1478-m4-pmc-3d-png-Wed-Jan-22-9-00-06.png

It's the PMC kit from Fab Defense and runs around $99

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    You have to do what's best for your family. Do you have any place in the mainland that you can store any guns you cannot take with you? If so, it might be worth storing the bulk of your collection and only taking what you need to protect your family. It sounds like you will not have the option of carrying over there (at least legally). It's been more than 25 years since I've been over there and don't recall what it was like in terms of crime. I'm guessing that it's not like Chicago, but am also guessing that it's not like Japan either, both of which have very strict firearms limitations yet very different levels of crime.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    You have to do what's best for your family. Do you have any place in the mainland that you can store any guns you cannot take with you? If so, it might be worth storing the bulk of your collection and only taking what you need to protect your family. It sounds like you will not have the option of carrying over there (at least legally). It's been more than 25 years since I've been over there and don't recall what it was like in terms of crime. I'm guessing that it's not like Chicago, but am also guessing that it's not like Japan either, both of which have very strict firearms limitations yet very different levels of crime.

I can take all I have with me. I've already priced a nice Pelican case that will hold everything. Just have to claim it at the airlines and register them at the police station in Oahu within 72 hours of arrival. This has all been researched just in case it does happen. As far as friends at various locations on the mainland...no comment.

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I have spent several weeks in Hawaii over the past few months. All connected to my work. Some would say, wow, you get to work in Hawaii? Let me tell you, it is not all white sandy beaches , grass skirts or palm trees and coconuts.
    First the politics is I think 99% democratic. So dont think you will change to much to quick.
    They are now starting to get concerned with the homeless there. Actually starting to move people away from the beaches and hotels.
    Think about it,, if you were going to be homeless what could be better than the climate there. THe coldest if has ever been is 58 degrees. The warmest was last summer when it got to 90 degress on a coupld of days.
    It can be a great place to work and live. I have come to know many fine people who do live there and migrated from the mainland. Most of those, though seem to have done it twenty years ago or more.
    There is some truth to being bound to the island you live on. You can fly between the islands for about $100. or so per trip. Some people do that and actually shop for vegetables on other islands. Farmers markets etc.
    Flying home to the mainland will cost you around $1000. and up with a weeks booking ahead.
    Food prices recently, eggs can go as high as $7.98 per 18 pack, $5. per dozen is commonplace. Three weeks ago the Easter price on eggs in some stores was $4.98 per dozen. bacon is north of $6.-7.00 pound . Millk will be $5.-6. a gallon, breakfast cereal is $7.-9. a box.
    THe food supply on the islands is only 20 days. Almost all of their food is shipped in from the mainland.
    Gas for your car three weeks ago was $4.45 - $4.88 a gallon.
    Yes, there is some feelings towards non-natives. Strange as it may sound. they like the tourism dollars for sure.
    Generally the people are very friendly and helpful. Do not expect to do anything quickly. There is regular time and then there is Hawaii time. Very laid back,

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I really do love being able to say I use to live there and for that reason took my family in 2010 to experience the paradise that some believe it to be (minus the politics). I have awesome memories of the place from my days of living there. The climate, even the air you breathe is so much cleaner and pure compared to the states. Everyone noticed this upon getting there. I'd had trouble sleeping since I left the island in '94. It was like my brain was use to the island climate and time zone. The 2 weeks we spent there in 2010 I slept like a baby, no meds needed.

Most places on the islands you're not going to go much faster than 35 mph unless you're on one of the highways. It's awesome to slow down and listen to the island jams on the radio with the windows down. Even the little mists of rain that come and go are just part of the beauty of being there. There were only a few times I was called a haoli and that was back when I was active duty. The younger servicemen tend to be a little too rambunctious during their liberty and it's easy to spot them out on the town.

I can understand the Hawaiian's plight. They've pretty much been gentrified and many of the homeless are state born Hawaiian's. There's more Japanese than anyone it seems but it's hard telling whether they're just visiting or reside there. It was like this back in the 90's. I remember lot's of Japanese, Australians and New Zealander's.

So some of the younger native Hawaiian's take it all to heart and call you a haoli...there version of the n word applied to the white person. I never took offense though. I just thought, yeah I'm a white guy, big deal.

Top Bottom