• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nascar6829

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Does anyone have a problem with their employer restricting their right to have a handgun in their locked vehicle while at work?
    Part of the new law states that policies or rules that deviate from the law are prohibited but my company doesn't seem to care. The law says as long as the vehicle is locked and the gun is stored out of plain sight its ok. We have a policy that states- the weapon and ammo must be stored in seperate parts of the vehicle in a locked box that is tethered or somehow secured to the vehicle. So what is a guy to do before he gets to work, stop on private property or the side of the road to dismantle? :n00b: Sounds stupid. They missed the intent of the law. It's not about whether I need a gun at work. It's for the purpose of protecting yourself while traveling to and from work should the need arise. My union has filed a grievance and it is now being scheduled for arbitration. I sent a copy of the policy to the NRA which I am a member of and they advised me they were sueing multiple companies statewide for similar acts.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Their rule means nothing...except should you be caught violating it they may fire you...even if they try that you may have legal action against since their rule seems to contradict what the law says. Never talk about it and never consent to a search of your vehicle without a warrant from the police and their will be no issues with your employer.

dale46226

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Indy
    I agree, this rule means nothing in my opinion!
    I know for a fact that the owner, managers...myself included supervisors etc all carry firearms onto company property!

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    I just toss my gun on the dash of my car and wear my empty holster around all day... never had a problem...

I'm torn on this actually. It's private property and they should be able to decide what and who they want on it. Of course I like being able to have my gun in my car. I would hate for there to be a law that says I have to allow something on my property that I didn't want

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Most companies don't really give a crap about this issue one way or another. They have lawyers and insurance companies whose hoops they must jump through to avoid liability issues.

It's a rare company who is going to raise any issue at all with this, and how will it ever come up? They're not going to inspect your vehicle. Put the gun in the glove box and go inside and work.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I would hate for there to be a law that says I have to allow something on my property that I didn't want

Agreed. I would also hate to see people lose their job, for exercising their 2A rights, if their company it anti.

Double edged sword.

Keep your mouth shut, don't allow the gun in plain sight...and there will be no issues. Don't run around trying to change the company rule since it is meaningless. The company can fire you for any reason, don't give them a reason.

Don't get caught Tilting at windmills. :twocents:

nascar6829

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    The place I work is so anti-gun that they actually went to the statehouse to argue against it. I agree, just put it in the glove box and don't worry about it but again i just wondered if anyone else had to put up with the same ridiculous stuff.

abrewer15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Elkhart, Indiana
    I have never had a problem where I work. There are actually a great amount of LTCH, NRA, and INGUNOWNERS members who keep their carry weapon in the parking lot. I don't think they can fire you because they have no grounds even though Indiana is a right to work state. Best advice is don't advertise to your employers that you carry and definitely don't consent to a search without a warrant.

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    I'm torn on this actually. It's private property and they should be able to decide what and who they want on it. Of course I like being able to have my gun in my car. I would hate for there to be a law that says I have to allow something on my property that I didn't want

I understand your sentiment, but on the other hand, I don't like laws that infringe on my right to carry.

I think the new law is a good compromise between the right to carry, and the right to say, "Not on my property".

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I understand your sentiment, but on the other hand, I don't like laws that infringe on my right to carry.

I think the new law is a good compromise between the right to carry, and the right to say, "Not on my property".

The law was always a violation of rights. Their property, their rules. You have no right to use another's property in a way they don't like. There is no infringement of rights involved. Using someone else's property is a voluntary exchange: you don't have to use it, they don't have to let you use it.

You have no "right to carry" on someone else's property.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    The law was always a violation of rights. Their property, their rules. You have no right to use another's property in a way they don't like. There is no infringement of rights involved. Using someone else's property is a voluntary exchange: you don't have to use it, they don't have to let you use it.

You have no "right to carry" on someone else's property.
    yup

nascar6829

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    I will agree with you but only on personnal property. As a company owner are you willing to take responsibility when an employee of yours is not able to defend themselves on the way home?

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    I will agree with you but only on personnal property. As a company owner are you willing to take responsibility when an employee of yours is not able to defend themselves on the way home?
    Private property is private property. private or commercial. While I wouldn't make a rule barring guns on my property, I have to respect peoples right to choose what they do with theirs

nascar6829

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Private property is private property. private or commercial. While I wouldn't make a rule barring guns on my property, I have to respect peoples right to choose what they do with theirs

Respect your point but a law has been written that says they cannot deny an employee the right to have a gun in their locked vehicle period. Can't wait till the NRA gets this to court.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO

That's got nothing to do with me as an employer. I never said you can't carry a gun on the way home, I don't have that power. All I said is that you can't bring a gun on my property. It's YOU who chose not to carry.

Respect your point but a law has been written that says they cannot deny an employee the right to have a gun in their locked vehicle period. Can't wait till the NRA gets this to court.

I oppose many gun laws on the grounds that they violate individual rights. Some laws violate the 2nd Amendment and I'm against them for that reason. Other laws, like this one, violate the 4th Amendment, and I'm against this one for that reason.

Top Bottom