• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    So I heard on the news they passed the law allowing people to keep guns in their locked vehicles on school property. Are there any loopholes or parts of the law that one should worry about?

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    It's not law yet, it just got through the House.

"Many of the more controversial measures — including the gun bill, a business property tax cut, pre-kindergarten education and a mass transit proposal — will now be debated by joint House-Senate conference committees to try to resolve differences between bills passed by each chamber."

House OKs bill to allow guns in school lots

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    One part that I can see being an issue that the news has been talking about is guns on school buses. While I am 100% for no gun free zones, keeping a gun on a bus locked up or not, is asking for trouble. I can remember numerous times the bus drivers would leave the bus untended, keys in the ignition. It wouldn't take a genius to figure the key you lock up a gun with would end up on the same ring. Not that there is a huge chance that it would be an issue, but it would only take that one time. With parents raising kids the way that they do in today's world, I am sure that there will be that one kid, and then it would be all for naught.

Now, if the law were amended to require bus drivers who choose to be armed while in the service of the school to keep the gun on their person, I would be much more comfortable with that scenario.. But then, I am more comfortable with any scenario that keeps a gun on the responsible person as opposed to locked up or "out of sight, not on person" any day.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I will be glad to have my youngest graduate HS this May. Hopefully this law will be in effect when I eventually have to attend school events for future grandkids. I would like to see someone mention on the news about the incidents where coaches and teachers stopped mass shootings.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I'm all for the new addendum. A guy I know picks his kids up at the drive up at school and lawfully has his gun on him as long as he doesn't leave the vehicle. Last month, this guy, while waiting amongst the other cars gets a knock on his window from the guy in the vehicle next to him. The other guy's vehicle died from a dead battery and is now blocking a line of cars and needs a jump. First guy acts as a good samaritan, pulls his jumper cables out and gets the other guys vehicle running.

The good samaritan committed a felony by leaving his vehicle. Whether he left the gun in his vehicle or not, he still committed a felony.

jtwilson3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    So I suck at law stuff. Is this just for pre-college school? Like government run schools? Because I thought that keeping your firearm in your car on a college campus was LEGAL (even though not usually allowed by the school).

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    So I suck at law stuff. Is this just for pre-college school? Like government run schools? Because I thought that keeping your firearm in your car on a college campus was LEGAL (even though not usually allowed by the school).

K-12. You are correct on the college campus part. Guys, please read the two threads cited above, and contact your State Senator ASAP! If you want to do more, you can contact the Governor and other State Senators as well. We have to keep the pressure up to get this passed!

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I hadn't thought about the bus driver issue.

Visit those other threads. Mothers Demand Action(aka the crazy Soccer Moms of Carmel) are spreading some...hate to call them lies as I haven't read very far into it...but I don't believe according to our scholars that they are telling the truth on it. They're doing it to get headlines and build people against the bill. Scare other soccer moms into kicking and screaming about it.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    One part that I can see being an issue that the news has been talking about is guns on school buses. While I am 100% for no gun free zones, keeping a gun on a bus locked up or not, is asking for trouble. I can remember numerous times the bus drivers would leave the bus untended, keys in the ignition. It wouldn't take a genius to figure the key you lock up a gun with would end up on the same ring. Not that there is a huge chance that it would be an issue, but it would only take that one time. With parents raising kids the way that they do in today's world, I am sure that there will be that one kid, and then it would be all for naught.

Now, if the law were amended to require bus drivers who choose to be armed while in the service of the school to keep the gun on their person, I would be much more comfortable with that scenario.. But then, I am more comfortable with any scenario that keeps a gun on the responsible person as opposed to locked up or "out of sight, not on person" any day.

School busses are "company vehicles", not privately owned, and therefore the owner has the right to prohibit possession of weapons while inside. Similar to the parking lot law, if it is a private car in the lot then ok, but a company car is subject to company rules. Unless I am missing something, I haven't read anywhere where the law forces school systems to allow bus drivers, or any other employee, to carry and/or store a weapon in a company vehicle, or the inside the school itself, for that matter.

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    So I heard on the news they passed the law allowing people to keep guns in their locked vehicles on school property. Are there any loopholes or parts of the law that one should worry about?

Most effective place for the gun...locked in your car when you need it. another stupid law.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    I took a shotgun on the bus with me when I went to high school and then took it in the school and put it in my locker on a regular basis so what's the big deal?[/QUOTE
    40 yrs ago it was no big deal, we use to build cross-bows in wood shop. Gun racks with guns in them were common in high school parking lots. Pistols were always a no-no, back then boys settled things with their fist, or maybe a knive, guns were no usually a part of it. But in todays environment "bully's" can not be stopped, because no one want's to fight them, I blame this on local courts and school officals, in my day you ether took it or learn to make a fist and stop it. With all the school shooting of late everyone is afraid the bully or vic will bring a gun to settle the score. This law will not change that but will provide anyone with a licence to keep their firearm in the locked car on school properity and parents to pick up their children without a felony being commited. at least that is my take on it.

dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    School busses are "company vehicles", not privately owned, and therefore the owner has the right to prohibit possession of weapons while inside. Similar to the parking lot law, if it is a private car in the lot then ok, but a company car is subject to company rules. Unless I am missing something, I haven't read anywhere where the law forces school systems to allow bus drivers, or any other employee, to carry and/or store a weapon in a company vehicle, or the inside the school itself, for that matter.

Not all school buses are school corporation owned. Alot of smaller schools or rural skills use owner operator buses. Plus we have privatised school bus operators.

poberly

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 25, 2013
    NW Indiana
    As mentioned by others, this is a good way for parents to avoid committing felonious acts when they leave their vehicle (that happens to have a firearm inside) and walk into their child's school.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Most effective place for the gun...locked in your car when you need it. another stupid law.

We could always just not pass it. That gets you roving school zones and felony for dropping your kids off and having to run inside....

Yah, just another stupid law....we shouldn't pass it. Nah, its just stupid.

Top Bottom