• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    We could always just not pass it. That gets you roving school zones and felony for dropping your kids off and having to run inside....

Yah, just another stupid law....we shouldn't pass it. Nah, its just stupid.

Nothing I would like to see more than a full repeal of the gun free zones in schools, but I doubt that will happen any time soon. For now, I will be very happy if they make it legal for me to exit my vehicle while picking up my kid for whatever reason. Murphys Law always seems to kick in in these instances. I can go 100 times gun free and never have to leave the car, the one time I am, and something comes up.

This also raises another question for me in the same category. Even if this doesnt pass, we are still GtG as long as we do not leave the vehicle. How does/would that rule apply if picking said child up on a motorcycle?

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    We could always just not pass it. That gets you roving school zones and felony for dropping your kids off and having to run inside.....

You can have a firearm in the car now when dropping off or picking up a student, I "think" you have to stay in the car so if you have to run in to sign them in or out your then breaking the law.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Nothing I would like to see more than a full repeal of the gun free zones in schools, but I doubt that will happen any time soon. For now, I will be very happy if they make it legal for me to exit my vehicle while picking up my kid for whatever reason. Murphys Law always seems to kick in in these instances. I can go 100 times gun free and never have to leave the car, the one time I am, and something comes up.

This also raises another question for me in the same category. Even if this doesnt pass, we are still GtG as long as we do not leave the vehicle. How does/would that rule apply if picking said child up on a motorcycle?

My post should have been purple...I am hoping it passes. It would make my life picking up my 8 yr old much easier.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    You can have a firearm in the car now when dropping off or picking up a student, I "think" you have to stay in the car so if you have to run in to sign them in or out your then breaking the law.

Yes, you do. My daughter is 8...I pick her up from afterschool care....I can't stay in the car. I'd have to park in somebodies yard to pick her up and remain legal.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    My wife is a school teacher and color guard instructor for a high school, whenever I go visit or help out with something I have to make sure the gun is at home since legally I cannot leave it in the car unattended. If we then go out to eat afterwords or something I am left unarmed.

Same thing goes at my church. It has a school within the church so even though Sunday morning isn't normal school hours, it is still school property and I cannot have a firearm inside, or 'alone' in my vehicle. Again, when we go out to lunch after church I'm left unarmed.

It is very not cool.

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    I worry that a firearm could be in my vehicle when we pick up our grandkids at school or attend a ball game, etc. All it takes is someone to see it and I'm in really serious trouble. I'm not talking about packing in school buses, inside buildings or during school activities. I don't think it's necessary to go home and drop off your firearm before you pickup or drop off the kids.

I have a permit not because I want to carry a handgun....loaded or unloaded. But because I worry about being pulled over my an officer with an attitude. It happens! I think a slight change in the law to allow for a handgun secured out of sight in a vehicle is acceptable providing all other rules remain.

I'm also think schools have over done the speed limit rule around schools. Just because you can does not justify the need. I see a some IPS schools where it is probably a good rule since they are located on city streets. However, some of the Township schools have abused the law. And, they have become speed traps.

Kokomo1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    My wife is a school teacher and color guard instructor for a high school, whenever I go visit or help out with something I have to make sure the gun is at home since legally I cannot leave it in the car unattended. If we then go out to eat afterwords or something I am left unarmed.

Same thing goes at my church. It has a school within the church so even though Sunday morning isn't normal school hours, it is still school property and I cannot have a firearm inside, or 'alone' in my vehicle. Again, when we go out to lunch after church I'm left unarmed.

It is very not cool.

Very similar for me. I work in K-12 and trips out over lunch or after work leave me unarmed. I also do freelance photography doing sports actions, marching band/color guard, and graduations and make additional stops to and from those events and cannot carry then either. I am all for passage and to be able to do some range time over lunch.

As for the gun being in the car and not carried inside the building to protect students and staff, this law isn't about making schools safer by arming staff. That is a whole other debate.

Top Bottom