Guns Shops that aren't willing to deal....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    I have had my eye on a particular gun for awhile. When I decide on a firearm, I do extensive research and try to familiarize myself with it as much as possible. It may take me six months of research before actually purchasing.

That being said, a friend of mine told me that a local gun shop had the gun I have been eyeing for awhile. I had some time today and decided to go out of my way to that gun shop because I am ready to purchase. Being that I have done my research, I know the cheapest place online that I can get this gun.

I entered the gun shop and browsed their offering and sure enough, there it was in all its glory. For about $200 more than I can purchase it online, I could have the one sitting on their shelf.:rolleyes:

I kindly asked if I could see the gun. The guy at the counter pulled it out. After I inspected it thoroughly (and listened to all the B.S. that he was spewing) I asked him what kind of deal he could make me on the gun.

Him: The price is the price, we only Mark up our guns 10% (that 10% margin play is getting old, btw)
    Me: Well, all said and done I you are asking $200 more than I can get it elsewhere.
    Him: (Shocked) Really? Where?
    Me: Online.
    Him: Well, our price is the price and we can't negotiate on brand new guns.
    Me: You can't throw in 100 rounds of ammo? (That'd be worth about $40)
    Him: Nope, now that's it.
    Me: okay, thanks for letting me see it, bye.

I don't get it. I know the LGS is going to be more expensive than online. But, I feel like you have to work with me a little bit. I'm not going to spend over $1000 if I don't feel like I am being worked with. Hell, even Gander Mountain has worked with me (and worked hard, btw) to get a sale. It is what it is doesn't cut it, I'll just buy online if that is the case.

Thoughts INGO?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I agree. They could at least meet in the middle with the excuse of "OK, its $200 more here, but its going to cost you $25 to ship it, and $50 for the transfer. How about I knock $100 off since its REALLY only $125 cheaper in the end?" He'd get a sale, and have a relatively happy customer.

Thats why I stick with Bradis and USDS. They take care of their customers.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I have had my eye on a particular gun for awhile. When I decide on a firearm, I do extensive research and try to familiarize myself with it as much as possible. It may take me six months of research before actually purchasing.

That being said, a friend of mine told me that a local gun shop had the gun I have been eyeing for awhile. I had some time today and decided to go out of my way to that gun shop because I am ready to purchase. Being that I have done my research, I know the cheapest place online that I can get this gun.

I entered the gun shop and browsed their offering and sure enough, there it was in all its glory. For about $200 more than I can purchase it online, I could have the one sitting on their shelf.:rolleyes:

I kindly asked if I could see the gun. The guy at the counter pulled it out. After I inspected it thoroughly (and listened to all the B.S. that he was spewing) I asked him what kind of deal he could make me on the gun.

Him: The price is the price, we only Mark up our guns 10% (that 10% margin play is getting old, btw)
    Me: Well, all said and done I you are asking $200 more than I can get it elsewhere.
    Him: (Shocked) Really? Where?
    Me: Online.
    Him: Well, our price is the price and we can't negotiate on brand new guns.
    Me: You can't throw in 100 rounds of ammo? (That'd be worth about $40)
    Him: Nope, now that's it.
    Me: okay, thanks for letting me see it, bye.

I don't get it. I know the LGS is going to be more expensive than online. But, I feel like you have to work with me a little bit. I'm not going to spend over $1000 if I don't feel like I am being worked with. Hell, even Gander Mountain has worked with me (and worked hard, btw) to get a sale. It is what it is doesn't cut it, I'll just buy online if that is the case.

Thoughts INGO?

You need a new shop. Don't know where you are but if your near Jasper county I would look up Jerry's gun shop. He is honest and has good prices. Now that we have moved out of state I really miss his shop

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I agree. They could at least meet in the middle with the excuse of "OK, its $200 more here, but its going to cost you $25 to ship it, and $50 for the transfer. How about I knock $100 off since its REALLY only $125 cheaper in the end?" He'd get a sale, and have a relatively happy customer.

Sales tax usually eats more than shipping and transfer fees. That's one advantage of online that's unfair but the reality.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Was it the owner or just an employee? You might not want to give up on them completely yet. I know that at Midwest I have had salesmen go out of their way to make a sale then the next visit I have been told by a different salesman that dealing is against company policy and the price is not negotiable, even if you're paying with cash.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Sales tax usually eats more than shipping and transfer fees. That's one advantage of online that's unfair but the reality.

In reality you are suppose to pay tax on your online purchases. It's the law although seldom followed and impossible to enforce.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee

$50.00 for the transfer? Seems a bit steep

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    I actually appreciate a place that the prices are set in stone more or less. Brick and mortar stores have serious overhead and their prices are going to reflect that. The auto shop I work at is the same way. There is no negotiation, freebies, gimmes or sales. Bossmans saying is "if you have a sale one week a year, you are over priced 51 weeks a year". I understand its not apples to apples because of goods vs. services, but I think you get my point.

I have gotten to know the owner of my LGS quite well over the past few years. His markup on new guns is 14%. Seriously. If all he sold was new guns, would be out of business in mere months. Used guns, depends on how much the idiots selling to them need money lol. Ammo is 25% and general merchandise around 35%.
    The online retailers are killing local merchants, LGS included. Palmetto and Buds routinely sell guns for less than his cost. Discount Tire sells tires cheaper than our cost on most brands. You are paying for customer service and local support. You have to decide how much that is worth to you.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Just buy the gun you want online and have it shipped in. If there is really a $200 difference then that shop is charging full MSRP or you are looking at a different model.

I was just looking at guns online. Buds and CDNN to be exact. Honestly my local shop is not that much less after shipping and a small transfer fee. My local shop treats me good. I was looking at a Shield for my boss and to order from Buds would total about $406 in the end. Local shop was $427 with a credit card and they will give an additional discount for cash. So in the end ordering online might save me $5. I have found the same to be true for LEO or Instructors discounts. In the end there is just not that much savings.

I could drive to Indianapolis and get guns bought for about $20 less then local. I laugh at people who drive to save $20. Time and gas are worth more then that. My suggestion is to find a good local shop and develop a relationship with the owner.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    I live in the Indy metro area, so there are a lot of shops to choose from. The gun I am looking at is not uncommon, but not usually on the shelf. I would have bought that gun today if they showed any willingness at all to work with me. How I see it is that they lost that sale over a box of ammo....

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    I actually appreciate a place that the prices are set in stone more or less. Brick and mortar stores have serious overhead and their prices are going to reflect that. The auto shop I work at is the same way. There is no negotiation, freebies, gimmes or sales. Bossmans saying is "if you have a sale one week a year, you are over priced 51 weeks a year". I understand its not apples to apples because of goods vs. services, but I think you get my point.

I have gotten to know the owner of my LGS quite well over the past few years. His markup on new guns is 14%. Seriously. If all he sold was new guns, would be out of business in mere months. Used guns, depends on how much the idiots selling to them need money lol. Ammo is 25% and general merchandise around 35%.
    The online retailers are killing local merchants, LGS included. Palmetto and Buds routinely sell guns for less than his cost. Discount Tire sells tires cheaper than our cost on most brands. You are paying for customer service and local support. You have to decide how much that is worth to you.

I think it's completely different. You provide a service that is a "need" for your customers. The situation for me is just a "want."

Though, just like me taking my business elsewhere, your auto shop customers could as well, but not if their car is broke down. ;)

Also, like I said, this gunshop is out of my way, so it's really not local to me. I would much rather spend my money locally, but an unwillingness to work with me is not going to get my money.

Last edited:

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Just buy the gun you want online and have it shipped in. If there is really a $200 difference then that shop is charging full MSRP or you are looking at a different model.

I was just looking at guns online. Buds and CDNN to be exact. Honestly my local shop is not that much less after shipping and a small transfer fee. My local shop treats me good. I was looking at a Shield for my boss and to order from Buds would total about $406 in the end. Local shop was $427 with a credit card and they will give an additional discount for cash. So in the end ordering online might save me $5. I have found the same to be true for LEO or Instructors discounts. In the end there is just not that much savings.

I could drive to Indianapolis and get guns bought for about $20 less then local. I laugh at people who drive to save $20. Time and gas are worth more then that. My suggestion is to find a good local shop and develop a relationship with the owner.

You're getting seriously ripped off if your LGS is selling a Shield for $427. My favorite gun shop in Terre Haute, and an INGO advertiser, Terre Haute Guns is selling them for $380.81.

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio

Agreed. I just picked up a CZ 75B, and paid about $25 more at the LGS than I would with shipping and $15 transfer. Well worth it supporting the LGS, and they always do what they can to help.

That being said, $200 is far too much to overpay. Depending on the gun, $100 would be my limit, if it is AVAILABLE elsewhere.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    What gun was it?

A very particular 1911. It's not a super custom or anything, but nothing else will do. And I will leave it at that. :)

I actually went to five other guns shops this afternoon in Indy (I'm on vacation) and called another (gas is cheap and I drive a fuel efficient vehicle) and no one had it. One shop had it, but it was the wrong barrel length....:(

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I live in the Indy metro area, so there are a lot of shops to choose from. The gun I am looking at is not uncommon, but not usually on the shelf. I would have bought that gun today if they showed any willingness at all to work with me. How I see it is that they lost that sale over a box of ammo....

:rolleyes:......
    They AIN't in bizznizz......ta make you a deal......:):
    Ever......go the grocery store, git up the chekout an' say " Uhhh.....you want'n..... 12.99 fer 'is POTroast....I'ma give ya..?...8 dollars.....an' .59 cents....."
    :):......know whut I mean ?
    Try yer logic.....at'a gas pump......ya cain't even PUMP the sh**......till ya pay the price.....:):

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    :rolleyes:......
    They AIN't in bizznizz......ta make you a deal......:):
    Ever......go the grocery store, git up the chekout an' say " Uhhh.....you want'n..... 12.99 fer 'is POTroast....I'ma give ya..?...8 dollars.....an' .59 cents....."
    :):......know whut I mean ?
    Try yer logic.....at'a gas pump......ya cain't even PUMP the sh**......till ya pay the price.....:):

Well, my B.A. friend, knowledge is power. The knowledge that another grocery store is selling pot roast for $8.59, I could get my grocery store to price match. I have done that quite often at my local grocery by bringing in the local competitor ad.

I had the website up on my phone where I could get the gun for the price I claimed. Nice try though.:rolleyes:

I do really enjoy your posts. :)

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Well, my B.A. friend, knowledge is power. The knowledge that another grocery store is selling pot roast for $8.59, I could get my grocery store to price match. I have done that quite often at my local grocery by bringing in the local competitor ad.

I had the website up on my phone where I could get the gun for the price I claimed. Nice try though.:rolleyes:

I do really enjoy your posts. :)

BUT......they WON' be...:rolleyes:.....see?.....cuzzz....they got'a ONLY potroast in 20 county's.......:):.....an' it 12.99........

Bet'cha .....ya ain' never been ta a Harley dealer, huh?......:):

Top Bottom