• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    In my mind, I seem to have experienced an unusual amount of handgun breakage.

Without going into a complete inventory of all the firearms I own or owned, I've had more revolvers "break" than semi autos (and very early in their life, without a lot of use).

Here they are:

Ruger SP101-firing pin return spring broke (twice).
    Ruger LCR-firing pin return spring broke (just once, but hey, it's only 2 weeks old).
    S&W 686-sear spring broke (twice).
    Charter Arms Undercover, broken transfer bar (I've lost count)
    Ruger New Vaquero, .357/.38, broken transfer bar.
    S&W 642, broken hammer stud on frame.

Semi autos:

SA Milspec-broken extractor, just once, after about 800 rounds.
    Dan Wesson Bobtail, sear on hammer chipped, would not fall to half cock position (quite dangerous, and was sent off to factory ASAP).
    Kel Tec PF9, slide release broke.

Tupperwear guns (other than the KelTec) never broke-Glock, Springfiled, M&P, Kahr, no problems.

What do you think? Average, below average, or am I cursed?

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Other than the Kel-Tec and Charter Arms, you have better guns than I do.
    Other than a Kel-Tec P-32, I have never had one break.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have three of the handguns you listed above. Mine are at least 20 years old. (four if you lump all springfields together) I have never had a single problem with any of them. I do not believe in going out of my way to "not wear them out" I keep them reasonably clean, reasonably lubricated and shoot them every opportunity I can. Lots of rounds of many kinds. I cannot think of anything that a person can possibly do to cause all those problems. sorry about your luck

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Id have to agree with the others here, my collection includes many of those that you have listed, and several others that are of similar make and/or quality(according to popular opinion of manufacturers) I even have a few that are of lesser quality, and the only thing I have replaced on any of my handguns (aside from springs, something I tend to change on any used gun I buy) was an ejector that I broke on my heritage revolver. That part was a poor design, and admittedly, I was being a big rough with it when it broke, so I cant honestly blame that on the gun either.

Either you have the worst luck I have ever heard of, or you are the most abusive handgun owner ever. Sometimes when a reoccurring issues arise, its best to look at the common denominator in the equation.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    That's what got me wondering- I would say that I'm not hard at all on them
    I shoot em, clean and lube, and repeat.

About the only thing I can think of is that every breakage on the revolvers occurred when I was dry firing (a lot).
    Despite what the owners manuals say, I'm never going to dry fire without snap caps again.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    In my mind, I seem to have experienced an unusual amount of handgun breakage.

Without going into a complete inventory of all the firearms I own or owned, I've had more revolvers "break" than semi autos (and very early in their life, without a lot of use).

Here they are:

Ruger SP101-firing pin return spring broke (twice).
    Ruger LCR-firing pin return spring broke (just once, but hey, it's only 2 weeks old).
    S&W 686-sear spring broke (twice).
    Charter Arms Undercover, broken transfer bar (I've lost count)
    Ruger New Vaquero, .357/.38, broken transfer bar.
    S&W 642, broken hammer stud on frame.

Semi autos:

SA Milspec-broken extractor, just once, after about 800 rounds.
    Dan Wesson Bobtail, sear on hammer chipped, would not fall to half cock position (quite dangerous, and was sent off to factory ASAP).
    Kel Tec PF9, slide release broke.

Tupperwear guns (other than the KelTec) never broke-Glock, Springfiled, M&P, Kahr, no problems.

What do you think? Average, below average, or am I cursed?

Any chance you're a reloader using sub-standard measuring equipment?

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Only think I've broke so far was a Murray's firing pin on my SKS at 500 rounds, turned out to be part of an improperly heat treaded batch of pins. New one has been fine.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Sounds like a lot of dry firing?

The Ruger transfer bars had a problem a few years back that was, supposedly, remedied.

Fortunately, Ruger parts are inexpensive.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    How many, and what kind, of rounds do you run? Do you shoot thousands of rounds and reload to +P standards? It's either than or you're unlucky.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    How many, and what kind, of rounds do you run? Do you shoot thousands of rounds and reload to +P standards? It's either than or you're unlucky.

Don't reload, so it's gotta be that I'm unlucky. I suspected that the failure rate of my handguns was unusual, and now I've confirmed it.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've had two guns "break".

Bought a used Springfield EMP that began, after a while, to pierce primers with the FP. That, in turn, would lead to failures to fire as little pieces of primer cup would be blown back into the FP channel (or be dragged back by the FP).

Really thought it was an ammo problem at first. Even sent the remaining lot of ammo back to Fiocchi for their examination - as they were concerned about the issue, too. (Got an equal amount shipped to me, actually. The way they treated me really made a good impression on this guy). I ended up getting a new slide, gratis, from Springfield. Worked like a champ after that.

I also had a frame issue with my former Kahr CW-40. Part of the non-load-bearing zones under the frame rails began to split off. Looked like someone had taken a pen knife and started to whittle off a sliver. It probably would have been A-OK had I just clipped the plastic off and gone about my business - but Kahr wanted the pistol back. Got a new frame out of that one. THEN, that frame's mag catch was wonky. Now, I think I'd have just asked for the parts to fix it myself. But back then - they wanted the gun back. That time it was just a mag catch replacement.

I later sold both firearms, with full disclosure of their former issues and what had been done to fix them.

-J-

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I know a guy that had 5 go down within a week or so. All fixed, nothing expensive. Had to wait for a few of the parts though.
    Myself? Broke a Smith 629 trigger pivot stud, and had a POS Auto Ordinance that cracked bushings.

B00MSTICK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Central Indiana
    Had a Ruger P95 a few years ago. Bought it brand new and after about 80-100 rounds, the ejector start catching on the side of the shells as it was feeding out of the mag after a few more rounds it jamming on every shot.

Top Bottom