Guns to Citizens Ratio - Too Many Slackers?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I need to buy some guns. I mean, I've been hanging out on this site for years talking about guns but have yet to own or shoot one. :ugh:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Kentucky is running over 50%!!!! I'm impressed.

Poor old Indiana is only at about 10%. That's even below Illinois!

Come on, folks. Let's get out there and BUY MORE GUNS.

IN doesn't require a NICS check for person to person sales. IL requires every transfer go through a FFL with a NICS check. That would probably explain some of the discrepancy.

As the lady in Boston said, "my dear, we need not buy hats because we ladies of Boston HAVE our hats."

That and see above.

Don't read too much into KY number being so high. The number for KY is skewed high because IIRC KY state police does a NICS check on all CDW holders at least once a year (maybe more often)...

There are a few states that at least run a NICS check on license/permits before they are issued. They can be allowed to bypass a NICS check at FFL if they present a valid license/permit. I believe that AZ does that.

Somebody help me with my math here. According to the chart in post #13, does that equal an average of very roughly 1 gun for each state resident? Not including of course older guns already owned or that some are buying several guns. Just the the average I mean.

edit: Nevermind, I see what I did. Stupid public school education.:rolleyes:

Still, that would give at least 31 million guns in the US and very likely double that.

Estimates are roughly that there are 9 firearms for every 10 people in the US. Somewhere around 290-300 million firearms in the US. And that is only the ones they know about. It doesn't include "home made" or those manufactured before they were required to inform the govt. Or military bring backs. Or....

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    There are a few states that at least run a NICS check on license/permits before they are issued. They can be allowed to bypass a NICS check at FFL if they present a valid license/permit. I believe that AZ does that.

Spoke to an AZ resident recently and according to him AZ doesn't require a permit to carry at all anymore..... Granted I take what everyone says with a grain of salt but could AZ be setting the standard for the rest of the states for constitutional carry??

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Spoke to an AZ resident recently and according to him AZ doesn't require a permit to carry at all anymore..... Granted I take what everyone says with a grain of salt but could AZ be setting the standard for the rest of the states for constitutional carry??

They are correct, AZ doesn't require a permit to carry OC or CC. But they still issue them for purposes of reciprocity.

And as for setting the standard, they were iirc the 3rd to do so. VT was the first, they never have required a permit for either nor have they ever issued one, AK was second, AZ third, WY is fourth but only for residents.

Last edited:

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    IN doesn't require a NICS check for person to person sales. IL requires every transfer go through a FFL with a NICS check. That would probably explain some of the discrepancy.

That and see above.

Estimates are roughly that there are 9 firearms for every 10 people in the US. Somewhere around 290-300 million firearms in the US. And that is only the ones they know about. It doesn't include "home made" or those manufactured before they were required to inform the govt. Or military bring backs. Or....

Thanks for the input! Do you know where I can find a reliable source for those stats? (I mean beside you, of course:D)

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I grew up in Kentucky and most of my and my wife's family still live there, and it would not surprise me if they are real high on the firearms ownership list. Growing up, just about every family I knew had guns, in almost every room. All the men in my wife's family have at least 3 guns each. The Louisville area alone has 8+ medium to large gunshows and 2 MG shoots every year. Kentuckians are armed to the teeth, (as are most Hoosiers I've met).

Top Bottom