Guns -vs- drugs; They just want to get the "right" people.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    Chicago police may begin issuing citations for small drug arrests instead of jail time - wsbt.com

McCarthy: Chicago police might soften approach to marijuana arrests

Superintendent says arrestees could be cited rather than taken into custody

• McCarthy said he talked about the issue with Mayor Rahm Emanuel as far back as May. He insisted police will continue to arrest people for marijuana offenses, but said the arrestees might get a citation or a court summons, rather than being booked.

"We will continue to make arrests for illegal behavior, whether it's public urination or whether it's carrying a firearm. It's really that simple," McCarthy said after joining Emanuel and Ald. Deborah Graham, 29th, at an anti-violence march in the Austin neighborhood. "We're looking at different arrest processing, not not making the arrests."

Police officials are at this point considering changing only the marijuana policy, according to McCarthy. "It's not cooked yet," he said. "I think that people are going to see some changes down the road."

In any case, people caught with marijuana whom police suspect of more serious crimes or who have outstanding arrest warrants will continue to be processed, McCarthy said.

"If somebody's not properly identified, they can't receive a summons, and if they have a warrant, they can't receive a summons," the superintendent said. "So we want to make sure we're getting the right people. You don't want to get the wrong people and put them in the system."

McCarthy said he can't concern himself with whether judges tend to dismiss petty drug cases. But he wants officers to be able to handle such infractions expeditiously.

"My problem is figuring out the best way to get those things prosecuted in an efficient manner so that I can turn my cops back around and get them back on the street quickly," he said.

Dwhizzle74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Well they've been writing tickets in major metros for awhile if they even do that? There's ALOT of other things I can think of off the top of my head that a cop could be spending his time and our tax money doing I'm just shocked Chicago hasn't already been doing this

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    We will continue to make arrests for illegal behavior, whether it's public urination or whether it's carrying a firearm.

So sad that "carrying a firearm" is in itself an "illegal behavior."

:(

Girlfriend wants us to go visit her family in Chicago....I'm thinking of trying to get her to disown that particular branch of the family tree....

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    I used to spend a lot of time in Chicago just because I enjoy the city.
    Then I started carrying and learned about their laws. I won't refuse to go
    now but I do try and find reasons not to.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    So sad that "carrying a firearm" is in itself an "illegal behavior."

:(

Girlfriend wants us to go visit her family in Chicago....I'm thinking of trying to get her to disown that particular branch of the family tree....

Just invite them down to visit you and her here in Indiana, gets you out of going to that place that shall not be named, and you arent the bad guy for not wanting to visit her family.

Top Bottom