• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nemo97

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have seen quite a few "recommend a gun" threads in which a common selling point many suggest is "X gun has an accessory rail on it." That's fine and dandy, but it beckons a question from me: Who actually regularly uses their accessory rails and what accessories are you using?

The reason I ask is I personally see no use for one. I never see anyone with any accessories on their sidearms either. Thanks for entertaining my curiosity.

Last edited:

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I have seen quite a few "recommend a gun" threads in which a common selling point many suggest is "X gun has an accessory rail on it." That's fine and dandy, but it beckons a question from me: Who actually regularly uses their accessory rails?

The reason I ask is I personally see no use for one. I never see anyone with any accessories on their sidearms either. Thanks for entertaining my curiosity.

Yeah, they seem largely superfluous to me. The main problem I have is the idea that if I were to attach a light to my gun, it suddenly needs a different holster. I have however given thought to the idea of a spare gun for the nightstand with a light attached. That potentially has merit.

96projectz24

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I'm using a Streamlight TLR-2 on my XD 40, it's my bedside gun. Too bulky to carry, but it's really nice for the house.

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Rails are a missed opportunity. The accessory market should be flooding with products beyond lasers and light!

GPS receivers, bluetooth to communicate with your smart phone, Those little glass breaker thingies, key fobs, RFID, pedometers, pez dispensers, the possibilities are endless!!!

mistap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Art. 1, Sec. 32
    Bedside pistol w/ a TLR-1. After the first time having to "clear" my house a room at a time with no mounted light, I had one within a week. Invaluable.

96projectz24

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    ^^^That's when I got mine, having to clear a house without a gun mounted light was ridiculous. I was clearing an apartment building, so it took FOREVER, lol!

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    If you have a wife who likes to rearrange things, the 200 lumen flashlight seems to "move around" of its own accord.

My wife won't touch my handgun, so attaching a light to it is useful.

I don't mind seeing modern firearms with rails, but a 1911 with a rail is a crime against humanity!

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    If you have a wife who likes to rearrange things, the 200 lumen flashlight seems to "move around" of its own accord.

My wife won't touch my handgun, so attaching a light to it is useful.

I don't mind seeing modern firearms with rails, but a 1911 with a rail is a crime against humanity!

Not to be mean, rude, or anything of the nature......but this is my 'all in one gun'.....

SW1911pic2_zpsfca2d004.jpg

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    Rails are a missed opportunity. The accessory market should be flooding with products beyond lasers and light!

GPS receivers, bluetooth to communicate with your smart phone, Those little glass breaker thingies, key fobs, RFID, pedometers, pez dispensers, the possibilities are endless!!!

Oh hell yes I'd love to have a pez dispenser on my gun!:yesway:

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    The rail can be very handy. I have a TLR-2 streamlight on my carry weapon. You can get holsters and they are actually not too bad at concealed carry. Here are a couple pics of the gun and holster. My only issue is the draw is a little different from my other holsters. You really gotta practice with these holsters.

IMG_0239.jpg

15027183-e51e-4aeb-aca4-63fe6bd06137.jpg

Jesco White

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    blender, harpoon, miniature chainsaw... But the two 1911's didn't look bad at all, and the owners are happy. All in the eye of the beholder.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    The rail can be very handy. I have a TLR-2 streamlight on my carry weapon. You can get holsters and they are actually not too bad at concealed carry. Here are a couple pics of the gun and holster. My only issue is the draw is a little different from my other holsters. You really gotta practice with these holsters.

IMG_0239.jpg

15027183-e51e-4aeb-aca4-63fe6bd06137.jpg

I see a law enforcement shield or ccw badge :rolleyes: on your belt, so in either case, I can understand an accessory rail. For us regular guys, I see no use for a rail.

Top Bottom