• ...and so much more!
  • Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    This morning I went by my local gunshop to look at some revolvers. Been going there for years. Other than the owner and myself there was two other customers one of which was a Sheriffs Deputy. I am looking thru the cases at what I wnated to see and the Deputy was there to pick up his "duty AR" which looked like a misadventure thru a tapco catalog.The shop owner had evidently put a new trigger in for him and he was rapping the bolt back and kept pulling the trigger............... with the AR pointed right at me. I moved to a different case thinking well he is not paying attention............ No sooner than I move and that damn ar is pointed at me yet agin bolt rapping and trigger pulling and there is no way he could not realize it was pointed at me. I uttered the words stupid BA****D and walked out and left. Called the shopowner and apologized for leaving the way I did but explained why. Said he might want to inform deputy that some folks dont take to having a gun pointed at them whether its unloaded or not. Sometimes that can be seen as a threat ;) Please know I do not have a record or a guilty conscience. Have lots of friends in law enforcement so I am not bashing lawmen either. Now I have been shooting since I was four years old. During that time I have shot anything from bb guns and 22's up to 20mm Solothurns, and have never had a saety incident. Safe handleing of firearms was drilled into me when I was playing with toy guns as a kid. My question is would you be comfortable having a person whether they wear a badge or not point a gun at you and repeatedly keep pulling the bolt and trigger???

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    This morning I went by my local gunshop to look at some revolvers. Been going there for years. Other than the owner and myself there was two other customers one of which was a Sheriffs Deputy. I am looking thru the cases at what I wnated to see and the Deputy was there to pick up his "duty AR" which looked like a misadventure thru a tapco catalog.The shop owner had evidently put a new trigger in for him and he was rapping the bolt back and kept pulling the trigger............... with the AR pointed right at me. I moved to a different case thinking well he is not paying attention............ No sooner than I move and that damn ar is pointed at me yet agin bolt rapping and trigger pulling and there is no way he could not realize it was pointed at me. I uttered the words stupid BA****D and walked out and left. Called the shopowner and apologized for leaving the way I did but explained why. Said he might want to inform deputy that some folks dont take to having a gun pointed at them whether its unloaded or not. Sometimes that can be seen as a threat ;) Please know I do not have a record or a guilty conscience. Have lots of friends in law enforcement so I am not bashing lawmen either. Now I have been shooting since I was four years old. During that time I have shot anything from bb guns and 22's up to 20mm Solothurns, and have never had a saety incident. Safe handleing of firearms was drilled into me when I was playing with toy guns as a kid. My question is would you be comfortable having a person whether they wear a badge or not point a gun at you and repeatedly keep pulling the bolt and trigger???

No I don't like it either but I think it would be better to tell the person right then and there. No need to be PC when it comes to safety.:twocents:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I'd have corrected him politely yet firmly the first time it happened.

The second time, I'd have left and called the police. It's a crime.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    No I would not be comfortable and would have voiced that to him the first moment I noticed it going on. Badge or no badge I don't take kindly to having a gun pointed at me period.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Maybe it's just me, but I use situations like this as either a "teaching moment" or in this case a "reality check" for the offending party. It can be done firmly with tact and in a friendly manner--contrary to what some may feel. If the offending party wants to take it personal, then that is on them and not you. :twocents:

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Four of my nearest LGS owners have

painted several big Booobies with nipples on their ceilings. No visitor can miss seeing them !! When asked, the owner says that they are targets for dry-fire. They are used a LOT! Some have names, like "Pamela", "Jennifer", and "Mariah."
    <snip> No need to be PC when it comes to safety.:twocents:

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    Glad to know its not just me...........I can swallow newby mistakes out of a new shooter and will gladly show them safe handling techniques. But this out of a cop???? I would not have been cordial. I have little patience with stupid. I figure an officer of the law should be one of the safest with a gun, they are the tools of his trade. And a hour later I can still hear my heart beating in my ears over the tv as my BP is spiked........... I am furious over this!!!!!!!!

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    My dad taught me not to point a gun at anything I didnt intend on shooting, so yea Id have a problem with it who ever it was doing the pointing.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Glad to know its not just me...........I can swallow newby mistakes out of a new shooter and will gladly show them safe handling techniques. But this out of a cop???? I would not have been cordial. I have little patience with stupid. I figure an officer of the law should be one of the safest with a gun, they are the tools of his trade. And a hour later I can still hear my heart beating in my ears over the tv as my BP is spiked........... I am furious over this!!!!!!!!

So why didn't you just call him out on it rather than the passive-aggressive name calling and storming out? It very well could have served as an exercise to help with your self-control issues. :D

Picit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Kokomo IN
    I see this all the time in gun shops, people check to make sure they are clear and think they can point it anywhere. Its hard to say something to a complete stranger and shop owners dont want to **** the customer off but I bet if it was out of the store they would say much more!

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I agree with Picit here. I see this all the time too. I don't know, there are times that someone gets "muzzle swept" no matter where they are, but I don't like it. I always make a conscious effort to keep the gun pointed up to the ceiling or down to the ground. Some people just don't think.

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    If you knew me you would know I showed alot of self control..... I dont normally walk away and not say or do anything ;) And this was more than being muzzle swept. Said officer pulled the bolt then pulled the trigger at least thirty times. I got muzzleswept with a "unloaded" glock years ago by a dealer at the Indy 1500 that fired a bullet into the floor six foot past me............ so I dont trust other folks ideas of what unloaded are ;)

Last edited:

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    The gun shop I visit frequently is very adamant about not pointing a gun at people and lets it be known very vocally...

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    IMO, you should have asked the guy ( his occupation has nothing to do with it!) to point the gun in a safe direction. Simple!
    I had a guy at Gander Mountain point a gun at me even as I moved 2 or 3 times to be out of his line, then nicely asked him not to point the gun at me. I think he learned, he kept it pointed in a safe direction after that. Some people just need a reminder once in a while.
    I've even been muzzled by a gun store employee more than once!

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    If you knew me you would know I showed alot of self control..... I dont normally walk away and not say or do anything ;) And this was more than being muzzle swept. Said officer pulled the bolt then pulled the trigger at least thirty times. I got muzzleswept with a "unloaded" glock years ago by a dealer at the Indy 1500 that fired a bullet into the floor six foot past me............ so I dont trust other folks ideas of what unloaded are ;)

I appreciate the absence of "flame" in your retort. You obviously understood that my comment was made "tongue in cheek." :yesway:

I take getting muzzle swept very seriously as well. I just make it a point to call it out the moment it happens. That's just how I roll. Sorry this happened to you.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    I'd have corrected him politely yet firmly the first time it happened.

The second time, I'd have left and called the police. It's a crime.
    that would be funnier then hell!!! You call the cops on the officer for pointing a gun at you and they call that officer because he is in the "area":)::)::):

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    LOL, funny this is mentioned...

Just Sunday, I popped into Bradis to see what's new. In the parking lot, a man was crossing the open area, walking, proceeds to draw his gun, still walking (condition orange now...), point it at the building (Bradis), still walking, clears the gun with it pointed at the building while walking and goes into the entry way. Guy had the aire of an egotistical moron... :noway:

Top Bottom