Gunsite 150 Course at Boone Co. Sheriff Department May 16-18, 2008 and September 26-2

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    Carmel
    Gunsite 150 Course in Lebanon IN May 16-18, 2008 and September 26-28, 2008
    Boone County Sheriff Department is proud to again host Gunsite Academy Inc. for a Three (3) Day 150 Level Pistol Course. (This is a derivative of the 250 course without the famous indoor and outdoor simulators.)

If you have often wondered about taking a course at Gunsite but were timid to spend the time and money necessary to travel to Arizona, this is an opportunity to experience Gunsite near your home.

The course is $469 for the three days. Plan on shooting approximately 800 rounds, including the night shoot. The course is IN LETB Certified (read: POST Certified for IN).

Registration information and additional Gunsite information is available at: www.gunsite.com

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I sent my application in a couple of weeks ago.
    I've had some classes at Boone Co, and taken the Gunsite 123, but had not taken a Gunsite Pistol class before.
    It seemed like time.

indyninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Barry. what other classes have you taken there. how did you like them?>

I sent my application in a couple of weeks ago.
    I've had some classes at Boone Co, and taken the Gunsite 123, but had not taken a Gunsite Pistol class before.
    It seemed like time.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I've tried to take at least one class there each year the past few years. I've taken some from Sheriff Campbell and some from Louis Awerbuck (Yavapai Firearms Academy). I never can seem to be able to get to any of the others held there.
    I was unable to go at all last year and I think I would have been in an overall foul mood all year if not for the Colts winning the Super Bowl.

I enjoyed, and benefitted from every class I've had there.

Louis Awerbuck is an absolute master at diagnosing shooting errors. And he doesn't miss an every either.
    No exaggeration- The line does some drill, he gives the fire command, and by the first shot he is giving corrections:
    "John, make sure you have a firm firing grip BEFORE you bring the gun out of the holster;
    "Tom, you took the safety off a little early there;
    "Bill, you had too much trigger finger in the guard and that pulled your shot left".
    And this is before half the line has even fired their first shot.
    All of a sudden it hit me that he was doing that, and doing it often, and I had to laugh. I couldn't possibly SEE that much all at once, and he has seen it, analyzed it, and fixed it.
    It's kinda spooky, really.

And Sheriff Ken Campbell is just a little behind him. I think he would be a well-known instructor also if he did it full-time instead of that other job.

So yes, I liked them. I'm going back again this year for one of Ken's Gunsite classes and one of Louis's (if not a second one by him also).
    I think we're really lucky to have training of that quality and variety so close.

AKsteve

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Avon
    How is the intro to defensive pistol that Ken teaches? Have you ever taken that one Barry?

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Yes, I have.
    It's pretty good. It's set up for a wide range of experience, and we had people in my class who were- no kidding- taking their guns and holsters out of the package for the first time then. We also had some who were pretty experienced, either in defensive shooting or competition. I was a REALLY broad range. Ken and his assistant instructor for the class kept the new people were safe and they managed to learn a lot, while the experienced shooters were not bored.
    That's quite a feat, and still impresses me when I think about it.

Since Ken is Gunsite-oriented, the class is a lot like getting a small piece of a Gunsite class.

Unlike most classes, which are geared toward the mechanics of shooting, he took some time to go over some Indiana gun and self defense laws. Not long, maybe 30 to 45 minutes, but it was good info and nice to hear from an LEO point of view.

I don't know what it runs now, but it was $150 then. It's priced to cover expenses and that's about it.
    That is cheap.
    It's especially cheap when you consider that you are getting an instructor from a top-level facility.

When I'm trying to get someone to get training, I always tell them about going to this class. Within 15 minutes on the range, and about five rounds fired, he had spotted and fixed a couple of things I had been doing wrong for years. I either didn't know it, or know how to correct it. I feel like the class was worth the time and money right there. They were small things that made a big difference (so small that I'm not sure now what they were) but it showed the value of having an instructor to spot and fix errors.
    I know I could have shot for years on my own, and spent a lot of money on ammo and still might not have corrected those small things.

As a side note, his assistant in my class was Brent Wheat. He writes a monthly column for SWAT magazine which usually leaves me laughing my butt off. Well, when the class started, there was this one guy in the back of the classroom who was handling paperwork and seemed just crabby as hell. He was introduced as the asssistant, and I thought "Oh great". Then when he said his name and that he write for SWAT, I realized who it was, but still couldn't picture him being that same guy that cracks me up several times over two pages of reading every month.
    Evidently, he was just waking up, as he loosened up and was a riot after that.

TraderJack

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    I saw this a while ago and regret that I have a conflict that I can't change. I surely hope it's offered again!
    I try to get some kind of training every year to stay current. Been so darn busy, I'm running a bit behind!

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Well, it's held twice, plus there is the Gunsite Carbine class also....

Plus YFA/Louis Awerbuck is there most of August with pistol, shotgun, and maybe carbine classes ....

And EAG/Pat Rogers for a few carbine and AK classes...

And maybe Bill Jeans...

And Steve Tarani...

And Doc Gunn...

And.....

Top Bottom