• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • R.G.Gray

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2011
    Does anyone have in personal experience with either of these training facilities? Thinking about maybe attending one of them. Any info would be greatly appreciated.:)
    Thanks

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I will never have personal experience with Frontsite.

This. They are on my "NFE" list (which is short, but distinguished).

I'd also give Gunsite a pass unless someone was paying for me to go. There are many, MANY other great training opportunities on which to spend your hard-earned :spend: that are much closer to home.

MHO.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    There really isn't a reason to leave Indiana if you want quality training. There are a few good schools here and several good schools and instructors are hosted in the state every year.

Save on travel and take twice as many classes locally.

PastorBlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Wabash
    I was at FrontSight in '02 and learned a ton. That being said, their reputation has taken a serious nose dive in the last decade. But, if I was out in Vegas and I could get a good deal, I'd go again.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Gunsite is holding a class in IN next year, if you want to get a taste for it before major travel. checkout their website for more details, I think at least one member here was looking for some INGOers to go with, I'm not yet rich enough to see their classrooms yet, but maybe someday.

If the videos I've seen come out of gunsite are any indication, you'll learn alot from a visit to them, for frontsite google frontsite lawsuit or look up the better business bureau listings for them, there's also been a few news stories of observers getting shot by accident.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    :yesway: Gunsite

:noway: Front Sight

Although Gunsite 150 was my first "real" training experience, I agree with shooter521 and Shay-- there are better and more local options from which to choose from, at a much better value for your dollar.

R.G.Gray

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2011
    Thanks for all the input. Is there a list of the firearms training offered in IN. or do I just google it?

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks for all the input. Is there a list of the firearms training offered in IN. or do I just google it?

What is your goal with training? Basic familiarity? Competition? Marksmanship? Defense?

Not all schools are created equal and different schools focus on different things.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    A little late to the game, but here goes.

I took a FrontSight class (Defensive Handgun) when I was still in the Corps and stationed in CA. They were just starting, and operating off a rented range in Bakersfield. Honestly, I thought the training was very good, and the instructors as well. I even bought into a membership, and upgraded at one time.

However, I did grow weary of all the 'exchange in abundance' deals and verbage. It never ends.

I am hoping to attend the Gunsite training in Lebanon in 2012, but will be my first experience with them.

I have also trained with John Farnam (DTI) in Rochester on an urban rifle course, and was pleased with that. I like the fact that John runs the range 'hot', and makes no bones about it being a dangerous thing you need to learn how to handle. He is also very well spoken, and if you aren't subscribed to his occasional email (quips), I would suggest it. Defense Training International, Inc.

If you want a little more close and personal training, I've also trained with Modern Combative Systems, as well as the Pit (Home - Indiana Pit - Kokomo IN) in Kokomo with their Final Options Tactics. I'd go again to either course.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I took a FrontSight class (Defensive Handgun) when I was still in the Corps and stationed in CA. They were just starting, and operating off a rented range in Bakersfield. Honestly, I thought the training was very good, and the instructors as well. I even bought into a membership, and upgraded at one time.

Were Gabe Suarez and Chuck Taylor still associated with Front Sight back then?

ray d

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    I am an instructor at front sight. Gabe Suarez and Chuck Taylor were not there when I was .I can say that you will learn a lot and stop many bad habbits.If you need any more info ask or pm me.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I also took a front sight class, and will probably take another because my step dad got some good deals on a few classes. Its fun to go out to Vegas and go shooting every day :)
    That being said, when the frontsight classes are used up I will not buy any more. There are a lot of good places to train in Indiana and the surrounding area.

qwerty99

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    North Central Indian
    The worst I've heard said about FS from anyone that has actually been there is in reference to the hard sale at the end which they must have toned down quite a bit because when I went the sales pitch was almost non-existent. A lot of people say they "know someone" who hated it, but I have never talked to anyone who actually attended who wasn't completely satisfied.
    The worst I've heard about FS from people who haven't been there is that the founder drinks goats blood under the full moon with Tom Cruise. Who cares, even if it were true? You can opt out of the emails (I used to get about 2/week, sometimes more, and deleting them wasn't THAT hard), and if you listen to the phone message it tells you at the end to push 9 (or something like that) to have you name removed from their calling list. Again, the marketing is irrelevant. The training is good, and while the list price is a little high, they are always having a special on their courses, so just wait until the one you are interested in come up for cheap.
    Now with regards to good local training being available, that is true. But that's not an excuse to flame FS. If you haven't been, keep the hearsay to yourself.
    It is my understanding that the lawsuit was over a select few members and has since been settled. They are still growing and building new ranges, and I think the worst of the growing pains are behind them.
    I really enjoyed my time in NV and learned a lot, and since I have family in the area I plan on attending again next time I'm out there visiting. I can't wait to try out the ropes course.

Top Bottom