• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MML

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    NWI
    Just getting back into trap shooting and would like to have a reciol pad fitted to my old 101 and maybe have the comb cut and made adjustable. The local guy that used to proved these services has passed away and have no idea who does quality work in my area. Any contact info for a gunsmith in the Laporte, porter or lake county would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Without getting down and dirty, why would you say that.

I took my $2K Kimber Custom Gold Combat Stainless II to Gutridge to have the sights adjusted. I have fixed combat sights, the kind that are seated in a dovetail on the slide. I wanted the front sight moved just a little, but I don't have the right tools to do it myself. When I picked up the gun, the front sight had an indentation in it, as if he used a hammer and a punch to move the sight. I don't know the name for the correct tool, put I think it's called a "pusher". It has a flat blunt end that seats squarely against the sight so it doesn't mark it. That's why I took it to a gunsmith. To me, if someone entrusts their piece to you that they spent their hard-earned money for, you owe it to them not to do sloppy work. If I wanted a sloppy job, I would have used my own hammer and punch.

renauldo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    2 close 2 Illinois
    Mark,

I only asked because I have complaints of my own about Gutridge. He's done maybe 8 jobs in the past for me. But now I'll only get small stuff done there I can wait on the premises for. There are however plenty of people that rave about his work.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Mark,

I only asked because I have complaints of my own about Gutridge. He's done maybe 8 jobs in the past for me. But now I'll only get small stuff done there I can wait on the premises for. There are however plenty of people that rave about his work.

I only have been there once. That's it for me. I have tritium sights on my Kimber. When the time comes to replace the tritium inserts, then I may also replace the front sight. There's a fine gunsmith who is a member of INGO who has done some work for me, and it was top-notch. Member's name is AllenM. He's in Avon (west side of Indy) which is a long drive from NWI, but worth it.

Would be interested in your complaints, if you're willing to share.

renauldo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    2 close 2 Illinois
    I had a couple of older shotguns reblued there with less than expected or promised results. That said I've had other minor mechanical work done done there and been satisfied.

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I actually have great things to say about Gutridge and his work. Just like anything, or any service, you are bound to **** a few people off or make a few mistakes.

He has done outstanding 1911 work for me and a few of my close friends and has done stellar work on my dad's .22 revolvers and a couple of his super high dollar vintage Winchester rifles.

If he'd have marked up my sight, I'd have said something about it and made him make it right.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom