• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I got an AAS in gunsmithing at Wabash Vally College IECC | Wabash Valley College. It is a great program that is very heavy in machining. Many graduates are working in the industry.

+1

I'm in the class right now, and big thanks to racr28 for talking to me about it before I started (I'm the one that called you and talked about it if you remember). I can't believe the things I've learned in just this semester. I love it and I'm really glad I chose to do it, but then again, I'm not paying for it, my GI bill is.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    Not to rob the thread but I was kicking around the idea of taking some gunsmith classes. How hard is it to be accepted into the program. I already have a Bachelors degree.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    Just a update i called ashworth college about their gunsmith class just to get more info cause its a online course and the guy was a jerk he kept pushing me to start payments and i told him money was tight for me and he then said if i didn't sign up now that i wouldn't do the class, wtf

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    Just a update i called ashworth college about their gunsmith class just to get more info cause its a online course and the guy was a jerk he kept pushing me to start payments and i told him money was tight for me and he then said if i didn't sign up now that i wouldn't do the class, wtf

A lot of those online "schools, tech-outfits, colleges" are more after your money, than they are about educating you. :noway:

Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    You best bet is Wabash Valley Community College. It might be in Illinois. I have talked to them and can't swing it right now. If you can, you end up building a 1911, AR15 (at least you did) and a bolt action rifle. They work with Brownells for student tools and the gunsmiths from Brownells actually come down some to help. It seems like a really good program and you can get either a Certificate or an A.S.

Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nope, you can live in Indiana and commute, but you have to pay Out of State Tuition. If you get a resident address within either Indiana (a county where they recipricate for tuition) or in Illinois within 30 days of the start of school, you get In State tuition. You have to pay for a background check, but if you have your Indiana LTCH, it will suffice. Also you don't have to have a FOID. I talked with the head of the program for about 2 hours.
    I would call the school and ask to speak with the Gun Smith program. There are also a few people on here that either are currently enrolled, or have completed the program.

racr28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 27, 2009
    Vincennes, IN
    It says i have to be a resident of illinois to get the cert

I am a graduate of the program and from Indiana. The only requirement is if you are from IL you must have a FOID card. When I graduated it had students from Indiana, Illinois, Missouri and Kentucky.

It is a great program.

Top Bottom