• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I picked this poor Mossberg up during a trade; it was simply thrown in. The Mossberg’s previous life was a Duck gun and it was obvious that it was neglected. I stripped it apart and realized that there was a bunch of rust and it looked awful. I do not know how I failed to take a full-length picture of it, but I did.

IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1473.jpg

IMG_1471.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

IMG_1466.jpg

IMG_1464.jpg

So I decided to try a rattle can camo with a twist. I have ZERO artistic ability, but figured why not give it a try.

First, I had to get all of the necessary supplies. I got some super coarse sandpaper and some fine as well. Mineral spirits to clean and cut the paint with, is also on the list.
    I bought one can of automobile primer.
    IMG_1482.jpg

Next up was brown, green and black camo spray paint. I got the Rustoleum, but Krylon will work just as well.
    IMG_1477.jpg

Then came the fun part, I got taupe, nutmeg, hunter green and flat black paint from Home Depot. I got the smallest cans, since they had to custom make the colors.
    IMG_1485.jpg

To put that paint on I picked up two brushes, size 3/8 angled and ¼ angled.
    IMG_1480.jpg

Finally, I picked up a clear coat matte rattle can, to keep my masterpiece intact.
    IMG_1483.jpg

Preparation is key. It is the preparation that is key. Have I mentioned that preparation is key? I sanded, and sanded and sanded. MOST of the rust quickly disappeared.

IMG_1489.jpg

IMG_1486.jpg

However, the pitting on the receiver was intense.
    IMG_1488.jpg

IMG_1487-1.jpg

I could have stopped there, but since I knew that preparation was key I kept sanding. After I was satisfied with results, which took a ton of sanding, I cleaned the surface to make sure it was ready for paint. Remember preparation is key! I applied coat number one of primer. After it was dry, I lightly sanded it and wiped it down. I then put on coat number two.

IMG_1508.jpg

IMG_1509-1.jpg

IMG_1510.jpg

It was looking better already. I applied both coats on slightly windy days and it helped. Since it was windy I could not continuously spray. So, I did not get any runs (in the paint). Take your time, keep the can several inches away, and put on light coats.

Next up was the brown. Again two light coats and ample drying time is a necessity. No trade secrets here.
    IMG_1516.jpg

After the brown, I reassembled the weapon. This way the camo would be even across the whole weapon.

The fun part starts now. Time to put on the green. I grabbed some wide width leaves/grasses. Hold them on the weapon, then spray on green directly on top. Change the direction the grasses and spray again. Change the grasses to a different angle and spray. Repeat this all over the weapon. Take your time, you want brown to show through. Remember use the wider width first.
    IMG_1517.jpg

IMG_1518.jpg

Now find some thin weeds/sticks and apply the black. Change the angle after every spray. Black is dark so if you want a darker weapon use more, if not use it sparingly.
    Just as a note, I am very OCD about items being dress right dress and was worried about the green and black. However, it came out awesome and I promise it is very easy to do. Just keep changing angles and remember it is camo, you cannot mess it up.
    IMG_1526.jpg

IMG_1527.jpg

Now it looks like 90% of spray can, camo painted weapons. I wanted something else, so I kept going.

I hated art in school and did not graduate from Herron School of Art. This next step is easy to do and “mistakes” are covered by the next layers of color.

Remember this was a duck gun, and will be mine this year. So, I added reeds to the camo. I tried to make it look like the reeds were starting from the edges. Use as many reeds as you see fit for your weapon. The first color is the taupe. It is actually very easy to do. Simply brush on the reeds by doing long strokes. Add as many or as few as you would like. Make sure they go in different directions. Vary length and width as well.
    IMG_1531.jpg

IMG_1522.jpg

IMG_1535.jpg

Next, apply the nutmeg directly over the Taupe. But leave some of the Taupe showing through. I also used some of the nutmeg to make nutmeg colored reeds. YMMV. I even left some of the taupe uncovered. My fiance wanted to help since it looked so easy. I promise those are her fingers in the pictures!
    IMG_1544.jpg

IMG_1543.jpg

After the taupe and nutmeg have been applied its time for some green reeds. These reeds can be separate. We did not put nearly as many as I did with the taupe. Again, its whatever look you want, and you CANNOT mess up!
    IMG_1545.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg

Finally, comes the black. If you use too much, it will become very dark. We used it to accent about 10-12 total reeds one each side. That is it! Small amounts of black makes it appear that there are layers of reeds. If you use too much it will all appear on the same level and will not give depth.
    IMG_1553.jpg

IMG_1556.jpg

Finish her off with a coat or two of matte to protect it. In this picture, there is only one coat.
    IMG_1557.jpg

IMG_1558.jpg

IMG_1559.jpg

IMG_1560.jpg

Alright, now for the After Action Review, AAR.

I would love to do this again. I am glad I got to try it on a cheap weapon first. But I would not hesitate to do this on a more expensive weapon. Next time I will use several more wide width weeds with the brown spray paint. This will allow more brown to show through. If I do another pump, I will put less paint in the areas that there is movement. Note that I did not apply any reeds under the front handguard on the magazine. A semi-auto will have less external moving parts, so it will wear less quickly. Overall I am 100% pleased with the outcome!

Now to find something else to paint!

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    Well I own my own business and am in the Guard. Then factor in all the drying time as well. So it took me a long time.

Atleast 2 hours getting rid of the rust. Then the two coats of primer with 24 hours dry time in between. Two coats of brown with 24 hours dry time in between. The green and black over the grass I did last weekend. Which does not take too long. But again, its the dry time that is the real killer.

The handbrushing, I/we did all of that yesterday(Saturday), with dry time about 5 hours total. I used a hair dryer to speed it up. The last coat of matte is curing as we speak.

So total actually working: Probably around 8 hours. Drying time...a bunch. Actual time, since I am busy, about a month.

If I had set time devoted to work on it, I could probably get it done in about 2 weeks.

Last edited:

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    Thanks for all the kind words! Again it is easy. The key is to remember that it is camo and that nature is not perfect. I think the hand drawn reeds look better than the grass lines I spray painted.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Very nice!

You have way more patience than me.

I just flat black, tape stripes and spray bomb it- poor man's tiger. Kinda boring.

Enjoy seeing hand done patterns of a different type! :)

picture.php

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    You are a VERY good artist ! It looks awesome .
    Sometimes I forget there are so many lady INGO members and shooters around.
    Or maybe you're a guy with some nicely painted fingernails .
    Either way , great job!
    I have some hunting equipment that could use some tweaking with some painted reeds .
    Thanks for the idea.

Top Bottom